Wood Furniture Care

user3478824
user3478824 Posts: 1
edited July 14 in Design Questions

What are the best practices for maintaining wooden furniture to ensure longevity?

Comments

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 304

Following this thread! I have an older wooden dresser that's definitely in need of a glow-up and have been told a nice oiling will help

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

This is a GREAT question! Practically speaking, the best thing you can do is to regularly clean your wood furniture with a damp cotton cloth (make sure to dry after!) and protect it from water damage by using coasters, place mats, etc.

As far as refreshing the wood/conditioning it, it depends a lot on the type of finish you're dealing with. But I've seen pro woodworkers recommend Howard's Feed n Wax as a good bet for most finishes. Make sure to research what you're working with though, and it's best to test on an inconspicuous area before diving in!

• cemay1
    cemay1 Posts: 6

My father always recommended staying away from Pledge (Pledge has a lot of water in it) and instead using paste floor wax, like Minwax. It takes a lot of work to use it and reminds me of the Karate Kid movies, but the furniture always seems happier afterwards. It is like treating old wood floors properly. The smell is nice.