Help! My bunny ate my couch!

Options
CullenOrmond
CullenOrmond Posts: 98

Expert

Hello friends 🤗 my prized furniture possession is a corduroy couch from the seventies (see a photo of it from when we first moved into our apartment!). This couch has been through everything. When we first moved in I mismeasured and had to call the couch doctor to completely disassemble it and reassemble it inside my living room. It's the perfect couch! However, my bunny has taken a liking to it and has nibbled holes into the fabric. I'm wondering if I should put fun patches on it? Or if I should just have it sewed normally? Open to any and all suggestions!

Comments

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Options

Oh nooo!! Bunnies - cute but fierce with their chewing. Such a GREAT couch!!

If you want a pristine look, I'd look at getting the section re-upholstered, though it may be tricky to match exactly.

Patches could be a great alternative though, I feel like that fits into the era of the couch and give it more of a story!

• losfrangeles
    losfrangeles Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Options

I agree with @SNandez that it may be tricky to find matching fabric (but by all means try and find some!). If you can’t, try patching it in an era-appropriate color like burnt orange, harvest gold, or avocado green.

I had one very destructive pet who wrecked the arms and back of my velveteen couch, and since it had some texture to it, I was able to grab some canvas in a similar color to use as a backing. I hand-stitched that couch back together, over and over, for years (I now have a vintage rattan sofa, which is much harder for little paws and teeth to destroy).

• Pamorana
    Pamorana Posts: 5
    Options

My heart aches for that amazing sofa. Bad bunny! ;)

• StephanieNguyen
    StephanieNguyen Posts: 54

Expert

Options

Aww bunny!! I really love the idea of embroidery because it'll make the couch look so unique — and it'll be a fun story to tell :)

• Gumbygirl
    Gumbygirl Posts: 2
    Options

Patches AND embroidery. I could look really cool, like a vintage quilt. Don't be afraid to use patterned material too, and textures like velvet.

• Salumbre
    Salumbre Posts: 9
    Options

I love the idea of a quilted sofa. It can be very unique.

That said, a sofa cover could be the simplest solution. They can hide a lot of sins and look pretty doing it.

They can run the gamut when it comes to styles AND price, so shopping around would be wise. I got one from Temu (sure, crucify me) that is pretty AND pretty humongous, besides being reversible (two looks, one cover) and very, very soft.

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 156
    Options

I audibly gasped! Your bunny did damage 😫 I think embroidery (maybe more involved) would look incredible — also pro-patchwork! One of my favorite sofas is embroidered from this collaboration between HAY and Loji Höskuldsson, in case it sparks any inspiration

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 98

Expert

Options

wow! thank you everyone! I'll post a photo once I decide what to do :)