When moving, what's the first room you tend to unpack/decorate?

DanielaAraya
DanielaAraya Posts: 317
edited July 2 in Design Questions

When you move into a new space, what's the first room you tend to unpack/decorate? Do you have a go-to? My friend and I were just talking about the intricacies (and woes) of moving, and it has me wondering if anyone follows a specific formula. If so, I'd love to hear about it!

I tend to unpack the kitchen first, so I'm not scrambling to find basic things like utensils and snacks in a moving frenzy — but I love decorating my living room first. It has always given me a sense of calm to have that area temporarily done to relax in. This was the first iteration of my living room when I first moved:

Comments

• losfrangeles
    losfrangeles Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Definitely the bedroom. I can tolerate a lot of chaos in all the other rooms, but I need my bed set up and my blackout curtains hung up on moving day (even if I have to take them down later to paint).

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

I agree with @losfrangeles 1,000%. I need to unpack and ecorate my bedroom first so I can have a safe space to rest and recharge for all of the hard work that is MOVING (in or out). If my bedroom is in one piece, I feel like I've accomplished something, especially that first night/day in a new place. The rest will come!

• DanielleBlundell
    DanielleBlundell Posts: 61

Expert

This isn't a fun answer, but for me, I think it was my office area!

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

what a great question @DanielaAraya! for me, it's the living room. I love hosting and even if the rest of my home is in shambles, I love to have friends and family over as soon as I move in! there's nothing better than first-night-pizza in a new home with friends.

• DanielaAraya

@losfrangeles @CharliPenn this totally makes sense! The curtain struggle on move-in day is so real haha. Smart on you for getting that out of the way first!

• DanielaAraya

@DanielleBlundell so productive! Love it! Do you think it's because it was a simpler/smaller area to set up?

• DanielaAraya

@CullenOrmond those first nights with friends really are so special! Takeout is a must 😋

• SNandez
    SNandez Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Kitchen first - cuz food 😂. Then bedroom, then living room.

As far as decorating post-move - I just got based on what I've got and what I'm feeling. Been in our current home for 3 1/2 years, and still doing so much in terms of decorating. I'm never in a rush because I refuse to buy things that "work for now" and will wait (sometimes years) to get things that are exactly what I want. And yes, sometimes that changes a long the way which is even better! Then I really don't feel like I wasted money on the "works for now" items.

I only want my house to have things that fill me with joy. Not make me go "ugh" when I see something I don't really love.

• DanielaAraya

I love this sentiment, @SNandez! Patience goes a long way when decorating a home, but it's the best feeling when you finally find something to fill the spot you've been waiting on. And yes to only bringing things into your home that fill you with joy!

• heathercubed
    heathercubed Posts: 7

Bedroom first; even if I don't get more than my espresso machine and a mug unpacked in the kitchen afterwards, I will go to sleep in cosy and wake up to cosy.

• penny1598
    penny1598 Posts: 1

Thank you for all your input on this. It's very helpful. Now if I can just find somewhere that I can afford.