What's your biggest home decor bargain?

I got this chair for $0 free off the curb — it was leftover from a garage sale the day before! I can't believe no one wanted it! One deep clean later and it's as good as new.

Comments

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

I have a similar story @MeganBakerDetloff! one of my favorite pieces was actually picked up off the street. it's a mid-century modern dresser that was being used by someone in the apartment building next door. I literally SAT on it until my boyfriend came to help me carry it inside!

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

the things we do for bargains!!!! do you have a pic??

• Abbylane
    Abbylane Posts: 8

oh I love these stories! When we are lucky enough to come across a pre loved gem. Estate sales, garage sales, thrifting, I’m here for all of it - a perfect way to create a unique home.
    one tip - always cleanse a preloved piece. Energy lingers on things and it’s important to let previous energy go so your home holds only the energy you want. A super simple way to do this: cleanse with salt water. As you dust and wash your new-to-you treasure have top of mind your highest and best good and letting go of anything lingering. If you are into smoke cleansing or essential oil sprays this is a perfect time to incorporate those too!

xo

Abby

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

I'm still using IKEA vases from college (just in different ways/places). Twenty year for less than $20? Now that's what I call a bargain!

• losfrangeles
    losfrangeles Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

Does claiming an antique its inheritor didn’t want count?

A family friend passed away 20-some years ago and left my mom a few of her antiques. Mom did not want the hefty teak buffet and wasn’t planning on keeping it. I asked her if she could store it for me until I could move out. It’s gone with me to every home since, and has served as kitchen/living room storage, a TV stand, a landing strip, and even a dresser.

Zero dollars, unless you count the gallon of glossy red paint I used to punch it up and the polish I bought to clean up the brass hardware.

• MeganBakerDetloff
    MeganBakerDetloff Posts: 100

Expert

@losfrangeles YES i love that the piece found a loving home instead of languishing in storage somewhere!

• BlairDonovan
    BlairDonovan Posts: 53

Expert

I also have a free neighborhood street find that I love! I saw this woven chair on the sidewalk during a coffee run about two years ago. I told myself if it was still there when I left the coffee shop, it was a sign I had to take it home. It's now my desk chair (and occasional flower styling spot). There's one small spot on the back that looks like a kid colored on it with an orange marker, but it's barely noticeable and we love a little lived-in ~charm~