Do you prefer a minimalist or maximalist approach to decorating?

sam_o
sam_o Posts: 50

Community Manager

edited July 2 in Design Questions

Do you prefer a minimalist or maximalist approach to decorating? Why?

Comments

• CullenOrmond
    CullenOrmond Posts: 149

Expert

Ooo what a great question! I think I'm a minimalist but only because I live in a super small apartment and if it's too busy I get overwhelmed. I wonder what my style will be like when I someday live in a bigger space.

• AdrienneBreaux
    AdrienneBreaux Posts: 70

Expert

Maximalist, baby! More is more! Too much is just enough!

• losfrangeles
    losfrangeles Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Maximalist, but I have to be careful not to overdo it in my very small house!

• Cheri
    Cheri Posts: 19 ✭✭

I so very much want to be a minimalist but I just have sooooo much stuff that I love and that I'm attached to. I can't throw it all away!!!!

• Raury
    Raury Posts: 6

I prefer minimalist as it makes it quicker to clean and keep tidy. I like to look at some maximalist designs, but I couldn’t live in one, it would just be too overwhelming.

• Desert_Coastal
    Desert_Coastal Posts: 3

1000% minimalist! I admire others' maximalist styles but I would get sensory overload if I were to live in it.

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 317

Maximalist all the way! It keeps things interesting and inspires me

• Writer83
    Writer83 Posts: 2

I’m not a minimalist, per se, but I’m close. I like calm interiors and simple lines and styles. I can’t handle a lot of decor items or colours/patterns, it makes me anxious.

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 3

Never quite understood this dualism between being either a minimalist or a maximalist. Both are at the extreme ends of interior design and pretty sure most people are somewhere in the middle. Unless you have a lot of talent minimalist interiors just look too stark or under furnished and maximalism looks like you have just put everything in a canon and fired it into the room.

• thelocalinnterior
    thelocalinnterior Posts: 1

What a great question! I consider myself a minimalist, mainly because I live in a very small apartment, and too much clutter overwhelms me. I often wonder how my style might evolve when I eventually live in a larger space.