When decorating, where do you like to splurge vs. save? 💰

DanielaAraya
DanielaAraya Posts: 317 ✭

I'll go first! I like to spend a little more on hardware, especially if it's in an area that's used all the time like a kitchen. What are some of your go-to splurges vs. saves?

Comments

• AdrienneBreaux
    AdrienneBreaux Posts: 70

Expert

Great question!!!! I honestly like to splurge on one or two big pieces that have unique or one-of-kind shapes/profiles (so like say a cool coffee table or sofa). But then I like to save on things that I think I could personalize… so like small side tables, art, etc. I kind of splurge AND save on rugs by getting them from estate sales or thrifting. But I think if you splurge on one or two really big/impactful pieces in a room you can usually save on everything else!

• losfrangeles
    losfrangeles Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Splurge on good bed linens. Save by only buying things I LOVE and buying secondhand first when possible.

• Raury
    Raury Posts: 6 ✭

Anything that is a permanent fixture I will spend on as I want it to last. I do save by shopping online local auctions, I have gotten some gorgeous light fixtures for under $50., they would retail for over $300.

• Desert_Coastal
    Desert_Coastal Posts: 3 ✭

I splurge on statement pieces that will be a focal point of a room, whether it's a piece of furniture or art. I save on objects I swap out more frequently (vases, throw pillows).

• LizzyFrancis
    LizzyFrancis Posts: 54

Expert

I think custom framing (especially for art you really care about, whether or not it's valuable) is always worth it - it can really elevate the art and your gallery walls if that's your style. Plus it protects whatever prints you have that you may want to pass down to kids or re-sell at some point

• DanielaAraya

Come to think of it, I did splurge on my coffee table a couple of years ago because the shape was so fun, I couldn't resist! It was just one of those "when you know you know" moments. Love this mentality though 💛

• DanielaAraya

This is a hot tip and for some reason I've never splurged on my bed, even though it's where we spend so much time. Do you have any favorite brands to shop from?

• DanielaAraya
  • DanielaAraya

Totally agree! I've only splurged on framing a couple of times, but you can really tell the difference between cheaper plastic frames and something high quality

• losfrangeles
    losfrangeles Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

I have flax linen sheets from Quince - worth every cent and a game changer on hot summer nights! My coverlet is from Utility Canvas - not too hot in the sunbelt and holds up well to cat claws.

• CharliPenn
    CharliPenn Posts: 57

Expert

Such a great question! When it comes to my living room and dining room. I love splurging on lighting/accent lighting (like chandeliers, pendant lights, up lighting etc.) but I save money on accent rugs and throw pillows because there are so many affordable options out there with the look for less. It's such a great trade off for me!