Open concept kitchens: Love 'em or hate 'em? 🤔

ApartmentTherapy
ApartmentTherapy Posts: 41

Community Manager

edited July 2 in Design Questions

Open concept kitchens: Love 'em or hate 'em? 🤔 Share your reason(s) why!

Comments

• BlairDonovan
    BlairDonovan Posts: 53

Expert

Hot take, but I personally love having separation between the living room and kitchen spaces!

• doglady
    doglady Posts: 2

Do not like open concept at all. I really can not stand it when they have a beautiful old house and open the walls. I have cried about that. I do not see the need for it. They went for years without it and the kids all made it thru it. It is so strange for them to say how they have to watch the kids. What did they do in the days without it? I grew up in a house with separation and I was fine. So were my siblings. I love old houses. Just not when they open up the walls and all the character is gone. That is so sad.

• losfrangeles
    losfrangeles Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

It depends. I like being able to close a door, but some kitchens are too small/dark/claustrophobic for that.

Now, open storage is a hard no. Whoever came up with the “get rid of all your upper cabinets” trend has clearly never had a remotely messy kitchen, a home in earthquake territory, or a fearless cat.

• StephanieNguyen
    StephanieNguyen Posts: 87

Expert

I agree with @losfrangeles — I think it all depends on the home and square footage! I wouldn't say I flat out hate them!

• TerriPous
    TerriPous Posts: 31

Expert

Galley kitchens are my least favorite thing, so I will choose open concept all day every day

• Amber
    Amber Posts: 8

It wouldn't stop me from buying a home I love, but I can't see knocking out perfectly good walls!

• DanielaAraya
    DanielaAraya Posts: 317

For me, it depends on the house! I can't say I ever felt strongly about them, but then my husband and I bought a very dim/dark cabin and the open concept totally made the kitchen and dining space feel bigger and brighter

• lydia_h
    lydia_h Posts: 5

Now that I work from home most of the time, I love not having to stare at my kitchen and its clutter all day every day!

• freeman
    freeman Posts: 1

I love how light and open an open concept kitchen seems, but I find it difficult to work without boundaries.