Here in my part of southern Ontario, we have several different types of poison ivy, and some of it grows as a beautiful red vine...I know of some people who have used it in Christmas wreaths! If you can get the volatile oils off of your skin before they start to irritate, you shouldn't have any problems...my family always used Sunlight bar soap and scrubbed the top layer of skin off along with the oils (more out of panic than necessity)! I also have a family friend who works for the Ministry of Natural Resources and comes in contact with poison ivy at least several times a summer...he swears by a stiff bristle brush and scrubbing the blisters until they scab, and then they don't cause any more problems. Ack! A little too extreme for me. I prefer the "speed things along without any invasive procedures" tactic: the homeopathic remedy "Rhus Tox" which can be found at a local health food store. As for prevention, the local mountain bikers use a thin layer of dishsoap on their legs that blocks the oils from getting to their skin...they simply wash it off when they get back from their ride. Good luck!
Pretty but Poisonous, and a Bit of Phenology The Gardenist
|11/14/12 11:23 AM|