Is your kitchen less than 120 square feet? Have you improved it in some way, or conquered a challenge? Have you made it more beautiful, healthy, or functional? We want to see your kitchen! Enter for a chance to win great prizes, and to share your ideas with over a million fellow readers.
- RENT - Kitchens under 120 square feet, in a home rented by the contest entrant
- OWN - Kitchens under 120 square feet, in a home owned by the contest entrant
- INTERNATIONAL - Kitchens under 120 square feet, in a home located outside of the United States. (All non-US entries not eligible for prizes - just glory!)
- Submissions for the Small Cool Kitchens 2010 Contest will be accepted beginning June 29 (6/29/2011). The deadline for entering the contest is July 15 (07/15/2011) at 23:59:59 EST.
What to Submit?
- Send us five photos of your kitchen plus a floorplan. (The floorplan can be a quick sketch, an architect's blueprint, or anything in between. We just want to get a sense of how your kitchen is laid out.)
- One of the five photos must be of an overcome challenge, beautification, or functional improvement in the kitchen.
- Make sure you complete all the required fields on the contest entry form.
- Wednesday June 29 — Submission form opens.
- Friday July 15 — Submission form will close and no entries will be accepted after 23:59:59 EST
- Tuesday July 5 - Monday July 25 — Selected entries will be posted. Each posted entry will include a "Favorite" button to register positive reader feedback.
- Tuesday July 26 — SEMI-FINAL TALLY: "Favorites" support will be tallied and the top 2 entries (those with the most "Favorites") from each kitchen division (OWN/RENT) will be included in a final survey vote to determine the grand prize winner.
- Tuesday July 26 — FINALS VOTING: Voting begins in the finals. Readers will have 36 hours to vote in the survey for their single favorite kitchen out of the top 4 U.S. entries.
- Thursday July 28 — WINNERS ANNOUNCED: The top winner (regardless of original own/rent category) will be announced as the Grand Prize Winner.
- The top international entry (as determined by "Favorites") will be recognized as the International Winner.
- We're collecting entries from 06/29 through 7/15, 2011. Submission forms will close and no entries will be accepted after 23:59:59 EST. No late submissions will be accepted.
- Selected entries will be posted beginning 7/5. Readers may respond by choosing their favorite entries. Readers may mark as many entries as they like as favorites during this period. Readers may mark each entry as a favorite only once. This initial round of selecting favorites will conclude on 7/25 at 12:00:00 (noon) EST.
- We will announce 4 finalists (two from each RENT/OWN division) based on reader favorite feedback on 7/26.
- An international winner will also be determined at this time based on the reader favorite feedback.
- The 4 national finalists will then compete in a final round to determine the National Grand Prize Winner. Votes will be collected through 23:59:00 EST on 7/27.
- A National Grand Prize Winner (the entry receiving the greatest number of votes during the final round) will be announced on 7/28
- The floorplan and 5 entry photos should feature a single kitchen under 120 square feet. The home must be lived in by the contest applicant—it can be owned, rented or sublet. The home can be designed by a professional, weekend hobbyist or design enthusiast.
- Readers age 18 and up are invited to enter the contest and share their home. Due to legal limitations and shipping costs, only U.S. residents are eligible to win the national contest prizes. International readers are invited to submit entries for exhibition on the site but are not eligible to win the National contest prizes.
- Once submitted, no contest entry may be changed, altered or enhanced.
- One entry per household. Only one Apartment Therapy user account per person.
- Entries may NOT include links to other webpages or Apartment Therapy pages. Reader comments that include links will be deleted.
- Employees of Apartment Therapy Media and Wilsonart and their immediate families or household members are not eligible to enter the contest.
- Winner is solely responsible for any and all local, state, and federal taxes incurred upon claiming a prize. Apartment Therapy Media will file a 1099 tax form for prizes valued at or above $600.
- International readers are invited to submit entries for exhibition on the site, but they are not eligible to win prizes. Unfortunately, prizes may only be awarded to US residents.
- National prizes: The Grand Prize winner will receive: a $10,000 Wilsonart gift certificate. The 4 Division Finalists will receive: a signed book by The Kitchn's founder Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan, The Kitchn's Managing Editor Faith Durand's book "Not Your Mother's Casseroles," a copy of Gale Steves's book "Right-Sizing Your Home," and a Bed Bath and Beyond Gift Card valued at $100.
- The International favorite (determined during the initial favoriting phase by reader feedback) will receive a signed book by The Kitchn's founder Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan and The Kitchn's Managing Editor Faith Durand's book "Not Your Mother's Casseroles."
Frequently Asked Questions
Is my kitchen too big to enter?
All kitchens under 120 square feet are eligible.
I think 120 square feet is too big to be called a "small" kitchen! Where do I complain?
We want to allow for modern preferences for open kitchens, which often occupy a disproportionately large part of a home, even in small apartments. We also do not want to focus purely on the size of the kitchen, as the whole point is to find inspiration and good ideas in all kitchens of relatively modest size. Any questions about contest rules should be directed to the email address below, and not posted in individual entry comment threads. Comments on the administrative rules of the contest will be deleted from contest posts.
When are submissions due for 2011 Small Cool Kitchens Contest?
All entries are due by by 07/15/2011 23:59:59 EST.
When are entries posted on The Kitchn?
Selected entries will be posted beginning Tuesday, July 5.
I received confirmation that you received my entry. Why wasn't my entry posted?
Our system does not automatically post entries as they are submitted. Our team selects the best entries to post. Not all submissions may be posted due to space limitations and it is up to Apartment Therapy/The Kitchn to post the strongest submissions.
How are finalists/winners chosen?
National division finalists and the International favorite are chosen by the readers during the favoriting process and then a final vote will determine the National Grand Prize Winner.
My home was previously featured on Apartment Therapy/The Kitchn — am I still eligible to enter the 2011 Small Cool Kitchens Contest?
Yes, readers previously shared their homes with the community are eligible.
Still have questions?
If you need help or have more questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org