Kathleen

Long Beach, California

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

One: Just me - no one else will fit!

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

It's bright and happy, and everything I need is within reach. It's also good for portion control because if I gain weight I will no longer be able to fit into my "one fanny" kitchen.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

My biggest challenge was the electrical. My condo is part of a large penthouse apartment that was subdivided into 6 hotel units with very little electricity to handle the load.. My first refrigerator died prematurely from a power surge before I made my first meal. The replacement fridge didn't fit the cabinet surround, so I resorted to painting optical illusions on the existing cabinetry to make it less of an eyesore. Somehow I managed to fit new refrigerator drawers, a farmhouse sink, and a full size cooktop and microwave/convection oven combo into this tiny space, and still have a decent amount of storage space for utensils. The small dressing area next to the kitchen became the new pantry. It's a quirky arrangement but it works well.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Since I just finished painting this morning - minutes before these photos were taken, I'll have to answer that question after the paint drys! I suspect it will be fresh salads. I'm also looking forward to trying some one pot recipes in my multi cooker. Since it's a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice maker, browner and warmer all-in-one, it is a great space saver for a tiny kitchen.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (21)

Wow, such a colorful kitchen !

posted by PreethiV on July 22, 2011 at 8:31am
view PreethiV's profile

Very cool. It reminds me of peewee's playhouse :)

posted by annaminnie on July 22, 2011 at 10:06am
view annaminnie's profile

This is my favorite favorite.

posted by Joan A. on July 22, 2011 at 11:07am
view Joan A.'s profile

How did you come upon the range hood? All I see in the moderate price range are stainless steel. Great kitchen!

posted by patfm on July 22, 2011 at 1:56pm
view patfm's profile

patfm - it's not a real range hood - it's a painted cabinet door that conceals the microwave/convection oven. The cook top is real, but the drawers underneath are refrigerator drawers painted to match. You just validated my optical illusion experiment!
Thanks all for the sweet comments.

posted by kbfromlb on July 22, 2011 at 2:58pm
view kbfromlb's profile

Very nice and compact. I like it.

posted by Jim French on July 22, 2011 at 4:48pm
view Jim French's profile

I have been in it and am amazed what has been done with such a small space. It is fantastic!

posted by meredith stenning on July 22, 2011 at 4:57pm
view meredith stenning's profile

WOAH! Reminds me of Toon Town in Disneyland!

posted by Put A Bird On It on July 22, 2011 at 8:06pm
view Put A Bird On It's profile

Do you not have an oven?

posted by Put A Bird On It on July 22, 2011 at 8:07pm
view Put A Bird On It's profile

Kathy, How much fun!! and what a difference from your all white former apartment!! Can't wait to see it in person, soon!
hugs
Abby

posted by Ezra on July 22, 2011 at 9:16pm
view Ezra's profile

Trufflesauce - yes, there really is an oven behind the fake hood. Since the kitchen is only 24 sq. ft., the full-sized oven dwarfed everything else in the kitchen (and my whole 264 sq ft. condo for that matter!) I didn't want to stare at a big shiny new oven all day, so I covered it to cut back on some of the visual noise. Then I made up for it with colorful fun noise instead : )

I haven't been to Disneyland in ages so I googled images of ToonTown. Now I want to move there when I grow up. It's even lopsided like my kitchen!

posted by kbfromlb on July 22, 2011 at 11:23pm
view kbfromlb's profile

Meridith - what an honor to have a real live kitchen and bath designer comment on my humble little kitchen!

posted by kbfromlb on July 22, 2011 at 11:27pm
view kbfromlb's profile

Abby - my old white condo seems a lifetime ago! Yes, I'm in technicolor now. Do come visit soon. I'd love to show you the rest of my little nest.

posted by kbfromlb on July 22, 2011 at 11:32pm
view kbfromlb's profile

Aunt Tootsie:
Love the colors and the decor! Your kitchen has such a magical theme to it. Have fun with it. diana c.

posted by Diana C on July 24, 2011 at 2:55pm
view Diana C's profile

It almost look cartoonish.

posted by howyadoin? on July 24, 2011 at 6:25pm
view howyadoin?'s profile

You fooled my eyes completely. Don't remember the exact French term--but it's clear you have real skill in the art of make believe. And yet, you have a real, working kitchen. Abracadabra!

posted by Spencer2 on July 24, 2011 at 9:03pm
view Spencer2's profile

How did you create the archways?

posted by krane on July 25, 2011 at 1:16pm
view krane's profile

I love your bright whimsical kitchen. You did an amazing job!

posted by Stacey Williams on July 25, 2011 at 3:06pm
view Stacey Williams's profile

krane,

I put tension rods with fabric on the old square doorways, and then cut the arches out of fabric to see if it was something I really wanted to do. While I was letting the idea sink in, I had a contractor over to put in a new bathroom sink. He asked me if I wanted him to do the arches. I had him do one, and was totally smitten. Over the last 10 years I added more arches whenever I could afford it.

The technique was fairly straight forward. He cut plywood arches from the templates I made, and nailed them to the framing on both sides. Then he used a narrow strip of bendable plastic to cover the open edges of the arch. Not sure what the material is called but I think it's designed for this purpose. Then it was just a matter of plastering and sanding to make it smooth. It sounds more complicated than it was. I can draw you a diagram if you're interested, and maybe dig out a photo if I can find one.

Be careful though, arches are addictive. I think I'm up to 18 arches including the windows. It's just that everything looks better through an arch, or two, or three....

posted by kbfromlb on July 26, 2011 at 11:28am
view kbfromlb's profile

Ooh must make hubby make me some!

posted by krane on July 26, 2011 at 3:03pm
view krane's profile

Yes please on the photos and diagram!

posted by krane on July 26, 2011 at 3:09pm
view krane's profile