David

Woodside, New York

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Two: My boyfriend and I

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

What I love most about the kitchen is the green tile back splash. I wanted to keep the colors neutral--with wood cabinets, stainless steel appliances and slate gray counters and floor tile--so the green of the tile really stands out.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

In New York City, especially in older apartment buildings, storage is always in short supply. While I had to keep the same basic footprint of the appliances, I was tempted to cover the opposite wall with 12-inch cabinets from floor to ceiling. In the end, I preserved an area next to the window for a small cafe table and two chairs.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Two weeks ago, I bought a Lodge grill pan and my boyfriend and I grilled veggies and hamburgers on the 4th of July. Because the window is right next to the stove, I propped a box fan in the window and all the smoke from the grilling was sent right out the window. Indoor grilling in New York City!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (7)

Great job!

posted by Francissssss on July 22, 2011 at 12:14pm
view Francissssss's profile

That green tile is beautiful! For such a narrow space, this looks so roomy and functional. You did a great job!

posted by corneroffice on July 22, 2011 at 9:49am
view corneroffice's profile

The colors are so soothing, so welcoming. Indeed, the green does make a splash, but not in an ostentatious. Bravo!

posted by JFinch on July 22, 2011 at 11:10am
view JFinch's profile

The forest green with warm brown is such an earthy, lush color combination. It's making me rethink the gray-white-chrome theme I was planning for my own kitchen. Hmm...

posted by ALien on July 22, 2011 at 12:28pm
view ALien's profile

The green tile is quite alluring, and I love the warm tawny of the wood cabinets. It's like stepping into the woods with sun dappled leaves. I especially like the thoughtful restraint in leaving room for the cafe table in the corner for a cozy tea break or conversations with loved ones while cooking.

posted by spark76 on July 22, 2011 at 4:05pm
view spark76's profile

gorgeous!

posted by palomalovesme on July 22, 2011 at 8:25pm
view palomalovesme's profile

that is the sexiest tile job I've ever seen! What talent! What verve!

posted by cornshake on July 22, 2011 at 9:56pm
view cornshake's profile