Johanna

Brooklyn, New York

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Just me

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

We took a sad, closed-off galley kitchen and opened it up making the space feel inviting and so much larger. Now I can been cooking and still enjoying company. Also everyone want to hang near the kitchen- now they feel like they are.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

Balance was an issue. I live in 510 sq ft so when I turned the wall in the living room into cabinets I wanted to make sure my whole living room wasn't overwhelmed with kitchen. Also finishing and maybe I haven't completely overcome it- when you are DYIing there are things you just get used to and never really wrap up. ( note I'm still missing a knob on one of my cabinets. )

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Meatloaf- You can't mess it up. I never follow a recipe and somehow it always tastes amazing.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (4)

Excellent job on the wraparound cabinet! You got addl storage, prep surface and serving space all rolled into one. Nice work!

posted by Ms. Vickie on July 22, 2011 at 4:30pm
view Ms. Vickie's profile

Smart solution!

posted by jarobinson1 on July 22, 2011 at 5:01pm
view jarobinson1's profile

It's very clever. I really want to hang a painting or a mirror or a shelf over the tile on the wraparound part.

posted by tequila red on July 22, 2011 at 5:19pm
view tequila red's profile

Get a shelf up above that counter!

posted by KellyHudak on July 23, 2011 at 10:18am
view KellyHudak's profile