Sylvia

Chengdu, China

Division:

International

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Two, my husband and me.

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

It's bigger than a bread box and the cabinet top is almost hip level rather than the usual knee level. And it has light from the window, which means it's not dark as a cave. For a westerner in China, this qualifies as a spectacular kitchen.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

The biggest challenge we faced is food storage that makes us an unattractive destination in our very old building in a quaint Tibetan neighborhood for little visitors of the more than two legs variety. Solutions. Lots and lots of jars up high.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

We are more or less defacto vegetarians, cooking with whatever is seasonally available in the street markets in our neighborhood. But on cold dreary days I summon the courage to go to the wet market in order to enjoy the heavenly aroma of beef bourguignon simmering.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (10)

Great work! I like all the jars :)

Aghhh, the height of Chinese counters is unbearable! It doesn't make sense either. At least up north where I live, practically all the people are much too tall for their counters. What a design flaw.

posted by annaminnie on July 22, 2011 at 9:48am
view annaminnie's profile

Perfection! I love the organization and recipes on the wall. This kitchen looks so user friendly, and what a gorgeous view!

posted by kbfromlb on July 22, 2011 at 11:43pm
view kbfromlb's profile

I used to live in Wuhan and my kitchen was *awful* compared to yours! This is super nice, HUGE, and bright. Good job!!

posted by xand83 on July 23, 2011 at 10:06am
view xand83's profile

Vegetarians living in a Tibetan neighbourhood in Chengdu- can we be friends?:-) How do you like Chengdu? Any travelling tipps for Sichuan? I haven't been in Chengdu yet, but I really loved travelling in Qinghai and Gansu province and thought that next time in China I would like to return to those provinces and/or maybe go to Sichuan, so Chengdu might definitely be a possibility!
Anyway, sorry for all the off-topic stuff, nice kitchen with a very lived in/cooked in ambiance. Love the jars, spice storage and writitings on the wall.

posted by fulinlin on July 23, 2011 at 12:19pm
view fulinlin's profile

Now I want a white-tiled wall in the kitchen just so I can write on them... Brilliant!

posted by gabrielanddorothy on July 24, 2011 at 9:52am
view gabrielanddorothy's profile

All that sleek order is serious eye candy! I actually gasped. LOL! What an amazing mix of sleek-modern-cool textures (stainless steel, glass, ceramic) balanced with the warmth of wood ... that ceiling {sigh}! Adore the hand-writing on the wall - is that dry-erase marker or grease pencil?

posted by lifeabundant on July 24, 2011 at 12:05pm
view lifeabundant's profile

I remember similar food storage issues when I was a poor grad student in high rise student housing. You came up with a savvy and attractive strategy. (I used sealed containers and put most of them in the frig.)And I also enjoyed the writing on the wall. :)

posted by Spencer2 on July 24, 2011 at 8:07pm
view Spencer2's profile

Love the idea of dry erase markers on the tiles! Nice!

posted by sanna on July 25, 2011 at 11:59am
view sanna's profile

Love the balcony, it seems a good way to keep cool while using the stoves and oven. Very original tile recipes, and great use of counter space. Having such a limited space it is amazing to see how you have arranged it to look airy and vast. Congratulations, happy cooking!

posted by marieheiss on July 26, 2011 at 12:51pm
view marieheiss's profile

Can't believe I didn't comment earlier! I love this, seems you really did some thinking about how to save space.

posted by smellsgood on July 28, 2011 at 9:29am
view smellsgood's profile