Anna

Brooklyn, New York

Division:

Rent

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Two: Me + Alexis the Kitty

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

I'm not the handiest person out there, but something had to be done about this puke-yellow rental dump dominated by a massive refrigerator. A few coats of paint, a contact-paper backsplash and a mini-fridge later, I have a cheerful oasis filled with details that make me smile - and it all cost me less than $350.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

My kitchen was tiny, ugly and poorly laid out, with the stove, sink and miniscule counter space all shoved against one wall and a refrigerator more appropriate for a family of four taking up the rest of the space. I painted the walls the same clean-laundry blue as the rest of my apartment and added shelving, a landing strip and the ubiquitous chalkboard-paint door. My understanding landlord agreed to cart away my fridge and even helped me get a deal on a mini-fridge, which I covered with the same contact paper I used to create my backsplash. I finished it all off with touches that make me laugh, like the mustached gnome and little mushrooms hand-painted onto the cabinet knobs.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Irish beef stew made with red wine and stout on a cold, rainy day. Yum!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (8)

I totally love this kitchen and living in NYC,appreciate the use of space. Creative, cheerful and cheap!

posted by Ruth E Ruth on July 22, 2011 at 1:41pm
view Ruth E Ruth's profile

What an adorable little kitchen! I bet the owner is adorable, too.

posted by HeySabs on July 22, 2011 at 1:34pm
view HeySabs's profile

Love what you've done, but I wouldn't move into an apartment with a mini fridge, so your landlord might have some serious issues once you leave. Wondering if you will be required to purchase a full size frige upon your departure....

posted by kinyama on July 22, 2011 at 3:26pm
view kinyama's profile

Adorable and very creative. I can suggest one thing that might give you more space on your counter - a wall mounted dish drying rack that folds flat when not in use. You can get them at Ikea. My friend got one for her kitchen, as she has the same small counter as you. Thanks for sharing your pics (love the mushrooms!)

posted by Cooking With Hooch on July 22, 2011 at 4:49pm
view Cooking With Hooch's profile

Kinyama, he kept the full-sized fridge - it's either in storage or in another of his properties. The mini-fridge is coming with me when I leave.

posted by StudioSupperClub on July 22, 2011 at 4:51pm
view StudioSupperClub's profile

This is what apartment contests should be! Horrible turned into adorable with more creativity than money!

posted by Kvaen on July 22, 2011 at 4:52pm
view Kvaen's profile

Yes! More elbow grease & creativity, less cost ftw! Love it.

posted by cj.bk on July 25, 2011 at 11:03am
view cj.bk's profile

I <3 this. The switch of fridges opens the space up so much. The second I saw it I thought "oh, that's so smart." You're lucky to have such a nice landlord.

I used to have a "don't forget" list on my door too. Mine was

-Keys
-Wallet
-Phone
-Brain

posted by MaryWynn on July 26, 2011 at 3:39pm
view MaryWynn's profile