Wendy's Custom-Renovated Vancouver Kitchen

Name:

Wendy

Vancouver, Canada

Division:

International

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Me, my fiance (who did a lot of the construction including removing walls!), and all the out-of town relatives who come to crash at our ideally located pad, 1 block from the beach in beautiful downtown Vancouver!

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

I would say ... that we got to build it; we spent HOURS working out all the details trying to make the absolute best use of all the space, while keeping it as open and integrated as possible. Everyone else says the red floor or the range hood. Go figure...

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

Where to put the knives! I didn't want to have a knife block sitting on the cupboard or use a magnet strip as I had previously. One day while cleaning behind the microwave I found the space I was looking for. Microwaves are short, our counter was deep. Perfect! My fiance did a gorgeous job transforming a $20 Ikea KRAFTIG cutting board into an in-counter knife block. One of my favorite things in our kitchen.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Pizza. With the giant expanse of counter top, I can roll out the dough and also get the sauce and all the toppings ready, with room to spare.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (7)

Great idea for knives. <3 it!

posted by rachaelk on July 25, 2011 at 9:01pm
view rachaelk's profile

I love the seamless look and white appliances. It's very modern, but the wood adds warmth. Very cool idea for the knives.

posted by HeyNowTex on July 18, 2011 at 10:03am
view HeyNowTex's profile

Love it!!

posted by Gursk on July 18, 2011 at 5:04pm
view Gursk's profile

Love the white appliances, the wood for warmth. it a well thought out space

posted by Ziso on July 19, 2011 at 4:24pm
view Ziso's profile

The open plan makes it look a lot larger than it is. I love the warm red floor on a cold rainy day in Vancouver!

posted by Joyleen on July 20, 2011 at 3:00pm
view Joyleen's profile

I like that there is no upper cabinetry so you don't have such a kitcheny feel when viewing from the living area! Beautiful!

posted by Lois s on July 23, 2011 at 11:42pm
view Lois s's profile

This is stunning! The knife rack, the spice drawer, everything appears to work so seamlessly, fabulous!

posted by marieheiss on July 26, 2011 at 12:48pm
view marieheiss's profile