Kristina's Warm and Open Kitchen

Name:

Kristina

Red Deer Alberta, Canada

Division:

International

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

3: myself, my husband, and my three-year-old daughter. Also one cat.

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

Our kitchen is bright, colourful, warm and open to the rest of our small living space. Original 1940s cabinets & open shelving serves as storage, and the magnetic chalkboard half-wall adds a bit of fun.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

As a neglected foreclosure home, it was in very rough shape when we took possession. We were able to add plenty of storage, second hand appliances, paint and install an inexpensive backsplash to make it our own without spending much money. It also has no dishwasher, so unfortunately the sink is usually full of dishes!

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

I love to make pizza from scratch!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (11)

It's so homey, I love it!

posted by eaturveggies1 on July 21, 2011 at 12:15pm
view eaturveggies1's profile

I would ditch the oven in favor of a dishwasher. Having to wash dishes with a young child seems like a PITA.

posted by RocketScientist on July 21, 2011 at 1:37pm
view RocketScientist's profile

Kristina, we also have a late 1930s house with the original cupboards, no dishwasher! and an almost 3-year old. Washing dishes by hand is no biggie! Love your open storage and wood floors. : )

posted by Apron Strings on July 21, 2011 at 1:57pm
view Apron Strings's profile

RocketScientist, ditch the oven...wha'??? I can live without a dishwasher, but NOT without an oven. As for the kitchen, I love the gorgeous wood floors!

posted by e53 on July 21, 2011 at 2:04pm
view e53's profile

Favorited... love that you kept the original cabinets! And I hope Rocketscientist was joking, why would you even need a dishwasher with no oven?

posted by Put A Bird On It on July 21, 2011 at 3:48pm
view Put A Bird On It's profile

Love what you've done here.

And I too am kind of perplexed by the previous suggestion to replace the oven with a dishwasher. I can't even comprehend not having an oven in my kitchen, but I've lived happily without a dishwasher for many years (despite also frequently having a sink full of dishes).

posted by onebravegirl on July 21, 2011 at 4:34pm
view onebravegirl's profile

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I can wash dishes with my hands, but I can't bake cookies with them. I think I'll keep the oven ;)

posted by KristinaKS on July 22, 2011 at 2:44pm
view KristinaKS's profile

Looks great!
Would love to see a little bit of the cat.

posted by Laine.turner on July 25, 2011 at 1:26am
view Laine.turner's profile

Love everything about your kitchen! I want to decorate my apartment like this one day!

posted by rachaelk on July 25, 2011 at 8:55pm
view rachaelk's profile

This is so lovely. I adore the space you have given to children in the kitchen, very thoughtful.

posted by marieheiss on July 26, 2011 at 12:46pm
view marieheiss's profile

Love it!

posted by smellsgood on July 28, 2011 at 9:28am
view smellsgood's profile