Jenniffer

New York, New York

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Two: My husband and I

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

What makes our kitchen so cool is that we were able to install all the luxuries we needed in our small space (one wall to be exact). For example, we were able to install a space maker dishwasher underneath the sink and also a 22 inch microwave (specifically made for RV's) over our 24 inch stove. We love the clean lines and simplicity of our kitchen while still looking very hip and modern.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

The biggest challenge was finding appliances that were small but also cool. In Manhattan, most kitchens are very small but we feel like we have opened the space with our kitchen renovation.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

I would say our favorite meal is any dish that is anything Italian. We love penne ala vodka and chicken cutlets. It may be basic to some but it's our fave (especially with homemade garlic bread)!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (20)

Of course it's fab!!

posted by Jenn5409 on July 22, 2011 at 9:46am
view Jenn5409's profile

Awesome!! Love the backsplash!!

posted by dch on July 22, 2011 at 1:09pm
view dch's profile

It looks great, Jenniffer! Please share the brands of your appliances. Is that the Verona 24" range? It looks like you centered the 22" microwave above the range. How did you deal with the 2" gap? I wish I could see a close up picture of it, as I am currently dealing with this issue. Also, did you have to sink the microwave into the wall?

posted by spayurdog on July 22, 2011 at 2:04pm
view spayurdog's profile

You are correct!! It is a Verona 24" range stove and we love it. We had our General Contractor add a custom panel on one side to give it the built in look (hence a white microwave oven vs. stainless steal). It goes really well with the white cabinets. It is drilled into the cabinet above since it also has ventillation. The fridge is Frigidaire, the dishwasher is a GE space maker (also 24") and the microwave is LG 22"). I hope this helps!!

Good luck with your kitchen!

posted by Jenn5409 on July 22, 2011 at 3:18pm
view Jenn5409's profile

can you share the brand of cabinets you used? the place looks great.

posted by regcol on July 22, 2011 at 3:22pm
view regcol's profile

Hi Regcol, our cabinets are from Ikea and so was the counter top. It's the Abstrakt line (in a white gloss). We are so pleased with them. Even our GC said we chose well. So happy with the result!!

posted by Jenn5409 on July 22, 2011 at 11:24pm
view Jenn5409's profile

The cabinets meet the minimum requirements for distance from the stove, but do you have any concerns from the heat burning up your cabinets? Does the microwave vent to the outside? The stove puts out 12,000 BTU on the triple burner, so I imagine things can get quite hot with four burners in a relatively small space.

posted by aceinthehole on July 24, 2011 at 8:33am
view aceinthehole's profile

Beautiful!!! Love it!!

posted by Maria Segarra on July 24, 2011 at 9:42am
view Maria Segarra's profile

Thank you Maria!! We appreciate your vote!!

posted by Jenn5409 on July 24, 2011 at 10:47am
view Jenn5409's profile

Thank you. You did a fantastic job.

posted by regcol on July 24, 2011 at 3:31pm
view regcol's profile

lovely!

posted by chasedook on July 24, 2011 at 5:58pm
view chasedook's profile

Hello Aceinthehole,

We are not concerned with the heat burning up the cabinets. Our GC has worked with these cabinets before and we feel very comfortable with it. We've been cooking on it for a couple of weeks now and all seems to be going well. As for the microwave, it does not vent outside, it just recirculates the air. Thanks for asking!

posted by Jenn5409 on July 24, 2011 at 9:06pm
view Jenn5409's profile

aceinthehole - almost every tiny kitchen I've been in (including my current kitchen) have over-the-stove microwaves that vent (via recirculation) with small cabinets over the microwave and on one or both sides of the stove. Yet I've never heard of anyone's cabinets getting burnt!

posted by Jen_ on July 24, 2011 at 10:11pm
view Jen_'s profile

A properly designed small kitchen has minimal clutter and maximum efficiency high top quality, you got it all pack down congratulation I can't stop looking at it is just to prefect!

posted by Marie Segarra on July 25, 2011 at 9:07am
view Marie Segarra's profile

Gorgeous state of the art kitchen! Perfect for NYC setting... It has all the amenities one could ever ask for! You got my vote Jenn! Two thumbs up all the way...

posted by Marvy on July 25, 2011 at 11:01am
view Marvy's profile

Love it! Really smart!

posted by GreatFriend on July 25, 2011 at 1:07pm
view GreatFriend's profile

Thank you everyone for your feedback and positive comments!!

posted by Jenn5409 on July 25, 2011 at 4:49pm
view Jenn5409's profile

Beautiful and cozy...love it.. you got my vote awesome Jen.

posted by PATRIA on July 25, 2011 at 5:41pm
view PATRIA's profile

Chic, elegant and convenient! Efficient and practical. I love it.

Ellie

posted by Toula on July 25, 2011 at 6:04pm
view Toula's profile

Jen, consult with a kitchen exhaust fan expert. They will suggest the cabinets above a sink be wider than the stove. While a fire could happen, the usual problem is just grease spatter marring the cabinets. Over the years, problems with cleaning and the appearance of the cabinetry will develop.

posted by wisdomandtruth on July 28, 2011 at 3:09pm
view wisdomandtruth's profile