Preethi

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

Division:

International

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Two: Me and my husband

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

The bold colors. While it is not a common combination in our part of the state, we decided to do away with the cliched colors and went with a contemporary look with bright red and white combination. And it has since been an object of showoff for us :)

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

The kitchen initially had enclosures on all four sides with a doorway at the entrance and a door on the opposite wall for entry into the Service area. It created a very claustrophobic and not-so-bright (Natural light was through a single window) ambiance considering the kitchen was small. We decided to remove the wall on the entrance and thus made the kitchen an extension of the dining space. Now, not only does the kitchen look spacious, but is also able to receive more light through the dining room window.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

I love experimenting with all Indian, chinese and italian dishes... Stuffed vegetable Indian breads being my specialty. I love vegetarian food and always enjoy trying out new recipes.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (9)

Lovely. You have a remarkable talent. Keep it up.

posted by Manvendra (manny) on July 22, 2011 at 10:51am
view Manvendra (manny)'s profile

Nice work. Best of luck for the contest!

posted by arunshashank on July 22, 2011 at 9:27am
view arunshashank's profile

Love the colors :)

posted by annaminnie on July 22, 2011 at 9:53am
view annaminnie's profile

Superb planning here, Love the Red & White combination its all time Favorite colors.Can't believe the size of kitchen, looks very spacious.Awesome work :-)

posted by Dileep Shankar on July 24, 2011 at 10:48am
view Dileep Shankar's profile

very colorful

posted by chasedook on July 24, 2011 at 5:58pm
view chasedook's profile

Wow--opening up your room to the dining area was a great idea. I can imagine the room might have felt claustrophobic before then. I'm intrigued by your cooktop--is it portable or built in? Traditional or a newer style? I really like your colors--what were the traditional colors that you decided against? Thanks so much for sharing.

posted by Spencer2 on July 24, 2011 at 8:13pm
view Spencer2's profile

Very pretty, however it seems you just moved in? Either way the color combination is great and it looks a fun place to cook and chat with the family.

posted by marieheiss on July 26, 2011 at 12:52pm
view marieheiss's profile

Act2, thanks... the cook top is a traditional Indian Gas stove.. It is portable...We thought we could save up some cabinet space by not opting for a built in hob... It is completely traditional :) You would see it in almost all Indian kitchens ! Brown and white is the most common that we have seen... Red and white was something that we saw only in the showrooms :)

posted by PreethiV on July 28, 2011 at 1:31am
view PreethiV's profile

Marie, thanks... we moved in about 3 years back and this picture was taken just few days ago... I am very particular about how my kitchen looks... and this is how it is even when someone gives us a surprise visit ! Thanks again for your feedback !

posted by PreethiV on July 28, 2011 at 1:33am
view PreethiV's profile