Jane

Eugene, Oregon

Division:

Rent

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Just me

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

A flame red floor, 1950s still-functioning Blo-Fan, built-in cutting boards, pocket door, and the fact that it looks like nobody else's kitchen: no stainless steel or granite anywhere!

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

There was a large, idiosyncratic hole by the stove -- the counter should have been continued there, but hadn't been. Most kitchen islands were much too big for the space, and anything too small just made it look even more like a hole. After months of searching, I found an antique table that fit perfectly and now it's my favorite part of the kitchen.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

My favorite meals are inevitably pasta-related.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (5)

This is a rental?I'm undone knowing that.

Love the white re-purposed table.Seems to belong there.I love colour and the red floor is wowing me.Everything just works in this room.

I like your kitchen a ton.It's super!

posted by hello123 on July 13, 2011 at 12:40pm
view hello123's profile

Cute! you may not be able to paint, but I'd love to see those walls in aqua with that fabulous red floor!

posted by LSUgrad03 on July 13, 2011 at 4:03pm
view LSUgrad03's profile

Love this kitchen and how you've made it your own. I know that aqua/red was trendy when the kitchen was built--is trendy now--and I've seen it look great in other kitchens. But I really love the calming atmosphere you've conjured up here. The saturated colors of your possessions pop against the neutral background--plates glow like jewels. Neat stacks of items with bright color are cheerful but not overwhelming--the very orderliness is soothing. Great find on that table! Seems like it was made for that spot. Lovely integration of your own touches ("shalom, y'all" :)) with the character of the room. I especially love all of the old cabinetry. My grandmother's kitchen had the same kind, with those great pull-out cutting boards. Enjoy your sweet little kitchen!

posted by Spencer2 on July 17, 2011 at 6:05pm
view Spencer2's profile

love this kitchen! Very cheery and inviting.

posted by CHATHAMGIRL97 on July 18, 2011 at 7:22pm
view CHATHAMGIRL97's profile

Love its vintage feel!

posted by Cliffie93 on July 18, 2011 at 7:47pm
view Cliffie93's profile