Ali's Kitschy Yet Organized $1400 Kitchen Remodel

Name:

Ali

Leetsdale, Pennsylvania

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

2 humans, (Myself and my husband, Chad) and our kitty cat, Oscar.

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

We completely remodeled the whole thing ourselves so we handpicked every aspect of the kitchen. It combines my love of all things kitsch (read: unicorns) with my husband's love of organization.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

We were on a really tight budget (under $1,400 for the whole kitchen, including refinishing the hardwood floors). We had to do everything ourselves. There were a ton of tough projects; from removing the linoleum that had been glued - apparently with black tar - directly to the hardwood floor, to feeding electric lines across eight feet of space through a two inch hole, to breaking 46 drill bits trying to put holes in walls that are made of what seems to be the hardest rock known to man. But the biggest challenge, and the most annoying part, was definitely painstakingly peeling 3 layers of old wallpaper off of the walls.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Tacos! Lately I've been making veggie tacos, spanish rice, and vegan corn cake once a week. And pie! We can't stop making pies. Our favorite is probably peach/berry. Our wooden counter tops make rolling the pie dough so easy!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (28)

What I like about this kitchen -- the hardwork that the couple put into it, the low cost, and the fact that it doesn't look like every other granite-wrapped reno that you see these days. It's a bright, clean, functional, space without airs, but with a dash a fun.
Great job!

posted by CanadianCapitalTownHouse on July 20, 2011 at 9:28am
view CanadianCapitalTownHouse's profile

kitty on the counter!

posted by e53 on July 20, 2011 at 10:09am
view e53's profile

I love how the kitty is in two of the pictures, oh and also the hanging basket, and the floors are lovely.

posted by eaturveggies1 on July 20, 2011 at 10:10am
view eaturveggies1's profile

I love this kitchen, especially the wood countertops and the chandelier. Do you have other light sources or is that really bright enough to illuminate everything when it's dark out?

posted by bonjourmiette on July 20, 2011 at 11:18am
view bonjourmiette's profile

Wow! I love the color combos. I think this one of the few kitchens that has white cabinets that I love! (but I don't like modern decor)

posted by Melissa23_ on July 20, 2011 at 10:57am
view Melissa23_'s profile

Love the paint color. What is it?

posted by rdhwyalane on July 20, 2011 at 10:58am
view rdhwyalane's profile

I'd like more info on the countertops! Getting ready to start my own kitchen remodel and that's exactly what I'm looking for!

posted by ph0enixinflight on July 20, 2011 at 11:08am
view ph0enixinflight's profile

I love the deep blue in the open cabinets, and of course the Pirates schedule on the fridge! Go Bucs! :)

posted by Kris0218 on July 20, 2011 at 11:21am
view Kris0218's profile

Very cute and cozy kitchen!

posted by lovey7 on July 20, 2011 at 12:36pm
view lovey7's profile

I'd have to say, this is the best kitchen I've seen so far! So bright and welcoming! Very impressed!

posted by adriennethegirl on July 20, 2011 at 7:24pm
view adriennethegirl's profile

Jealz.

posted by Caitlin_C on July 20, 2011 at 7:29pm
view Caitlin_C's profile

suuuuupppper cuuuuute! love the chandelier and the kitty!!!!

posted by britneyspears on July 20, 2011 at 9:26pm
view britneyspears's profile

Bright-airy- functional & fun! The chandelier adds a formal (yet fun) touch.
I love the open cabinets and colors! By far- my favorite :)

posted by CarolAndrea' on July 20, 2011 at 10:29pm
view CarolAndrea''s profile

This kitchen is amazing, from the dark blue of the inside cabinets to the chandelier, it has so much creativity that I could never piece together myself. Further, the couple does so much to make it inviting and functional. The before and after are phenomenal.

posted by fmr5001 on July 20, 2011 at 10:08pm
view fmr5001's profile

Minimal cash--lots of great fresh style. I especially love the wood countertops. Are they hard to maintain?

posted by Spencer2 on July 20, 2011 at 10:24pm
view Spencer2's profile

Is that Pittsburgh on the fridge? I love that.

posted by jess thrift on July 20, 2011 at 11:51pm
view jess thrift's profile

Ali's Kitchen Rocks

posted by Sheepdog1p on July 21, 2011 at 5:06am
view Sheepdog1p's profile

Love the overmount sink and color palate. A great use of space!!! Verfy thrifty, smart renovaters!

posted by crossick on July 21, 2011 at 8:17am
view crossick's profile

Adorable- I love the color scheme, wooden floor, open cabinets, and especially the kitty! It's refreshing to see this kind of creativity and function without spending a fortune. Bravo!

posted by r.pierre on July 21, 2011 at 8:40am
view r.pierre's profile

Its hard to be impressed with some of the other entries that clearly had unlimited budgets and professional help. You should be very proud of this remodel. Great job!

posted by shelbauchman on July 21, 2011 at 8:49am
view shelbauchman's profile

What a transformation! It went from run-down country kitchen to super shabby sheik! I love how the colors make it a very calm and inviting space. Great job!

posted by jamalfox on July 21, 2011 at 4:42pm
view jamalfox's profile

WOW! WOW! WOW! i love everything about this kitchen--especially the owners! and how the floors and counters work togehter!

posted by sherrintakoma on July 22, 2011 at 3:26pm
view sherrintakoma's profile

Beautiful job, love the colors you chose.

posted by Uncle Thom on July 24, 2011 at 4:53pm
view Uncle Thom's profile

Fabulous transformation! It's so pretty and airy now, but looked quite grungy and dated before.

posted by malcontent on July 24, 2011 at 12:45am
view malcontent's profile

Great kitchen. I love the sink and the kitty in the pics.

posted by Gidgy Girl on July 24, 2011 at 4:49pm
view Gidgy Girl's profile

I love the whole thing! Where did you get that sink, exactly what I'm looking for...

posted by stargazerss on August 18, 2011 at 2:27pm
view stargazerss's profile

This is absolutely heart...stunning! I love every aspect of your new kitchen.. Thank you for sharing..

posted by jkbr on August 19, 2011 at 6:56am
view jkbr's profile

i know i'm late to the comment party, but i'm pretty sure the cabinets, sink and countertop are ikea. i also have the domsjo sink single bowl sink - a bargain farmhouse for under $200.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49847479

the countertops, i'm assuming are ikea numerar butcher block:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20057397

posted by eurieka on August 19, 2011 at 8:29pm
view eurieka's profile