Amanda

New York, New York

Division:

Rent

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

One, just me.

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

Because the kitchen is really just right an alcove in the living room, it's integrated into the rest of the apartment and feels like a Southern-style keeping room. It's the tinest little kitchen, but with some creative storage and balancing acts, I've whipped out multicourse meals (including a full blown Thanksgiving feast with three desserts) and thrown some great parties. Everyone always wants to hang out in the kitchen anyway, so mine is right smack in the middle of the party.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

There is only about one square foot of counterspace. The kitchen is just a alcove with a little oven (I call it the EasyBake Oven), a tiny sink, and small refrigerator. Barely enough space to display my Le Creuset kitchen bling. To create a functional work surface, I bought a really great island from a shop in my hometown in Virginia. The lower shelfs add storage space and the butcherblock top is spacious (and perfect for rolling out pie crusts or kneading biscuit dough...).

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Whatever the menu, I am happiest cooking big meals for lots of people (a challenge in my mini kitchen). The island makes a great bar for pre-dinner cocktails, so I love inviting my friends over early to imbibe while I cook. Before they arrive I'll whip out the deep fryer for my favorite cocktail nibbles (deep fried blue cheese stuffed olives) for guests to snack on while they watch me cook the main event. And since the "kitchen" is really just part of the living room, my friends can "help" from the couch as we chat and sing along to whatever's on the speakers. After watching me make the dinner, they are all the more appreciative of my efforts when it's time to move to the dining table.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (7)

As a frequent visiter and "helper", I can attest that Amanda's kitchen always manages to combine the hospitality of Virginia with the cosmopolitan chic of... well, cosmopolitans.

posted by Carley Anne on July 22, 2011 at 9:25am
view Carley Anne's profile

Hope to get some southern style cooking real soon from Amanda's nook of wonders. Or come visit us and we'll cook! - Aaron

posted by TinyKitchen on July 22, 2011 at 11:32am
view TinyKitchen's profile

Love it! I've been looking for a new NY apartment and have been contemplating how, potentially, to rock a galley kitchen - I thought of the butcher block table solution, too, and am really glad it worked out so well for Amanda. Adorable!

posted by CeliaM on July 23, 2011 at 12:49pm
view CeliaM's profile

As a transplanted Southerner myself, it's great to see how you integrated your heritage into a hip, soulful, and sophisticated design. Brace yourself for the "stay calm" haters--as for me, I think your poster looks as if it was meant to be there. Fried olives! You rock!

posted by Spencer2 on July 24, 2011 at 8:26pm
view Spencer2's profile

I meant, of course, "keep calm."

posted by Spencer2 on July 24, 2011 at 8:28pm
view Spencer2's profile

I love your term "kitchen bling". So funny! :)

posted by miss*moxie on July 25, 2011 at 1:14am
view miss*moxie's profile

Love how you added the island and red "bling." It looks very inviting even though there isn't actually room for guests to fit in there ;)

posted by rachaelk on July 25, 2011 at 8:00pm
view rachaelk's profile