Christine

Albany, New York

Division:

Rent

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Two: My boyfriend and me.

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

Even though our kitchen is really tiny, the two of us have become really smooth at maneuvering around each other while we make dinner. I love that making meals for each other and friends is such an intimate and cozy activity in our small kitchen. Plus a small space means less to clean!

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

We don’t have a single drawer! We cut a piece of pegboard from the hardware store to fit our wall, painted it bright green and now we use it to hang up our pots, pans and kitchen tools so they are always within reach. My boyfriend also installed a three-tiered hanging basket on a pulley system for extra storage that we can raise up out of the way in between uses. These little improvements free up precious counter and cabinet space and maximizes the vertical space provided to us by our tall ceilings. Bright white walls and colorful accents help distract from the fact that there aren't any windows.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

A quiche! It doesn't take up too much counter space or dirty too many dishes- just cut up a few veggies, whisk the eggs with cream and pour it into a pie crust. Sprinkle with cheese, bake it in the oven and that's it.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (18)

so tiny, but so cute! I love the pops of green.

posted by e53 on July 19, 2011 at 1:27pm
view e53's profile

dreamy!

posted by gateaulove on July 18, 2011 at 11:55am
view gateaulove's profile

I think you did a great job of making an extra tiny space functional and welcoming. The pulley on the basket is brilliant!

posted by onebravegirl on July 18, 2011 at 1:23pm
view onebravegirl's profile

Really cute and functional, well done.

posted by fulinlin on July 18, 2011 at 2:18pm
view fulinlin's profile

I love your tiny kitchen, it's as functional as it is beautiful. Well done!

posted by Suzemyst on July 18, 2011 at 6:25pm
view Suzemyst's profile

awesome use of 40 ft.

posted by eatwritelive on July 18, 2011 at 11:15pm
view eatwritelive's profile

my favorite kitchen by far. I mean, seriously, a pulley system for the 3-tier hanging basket? Bright, beautiful, HOMEY (read: not 100% modern everything is 50$ & up) useable space. LOVE IT!

posted by Chris, From Scratch Club on July 19, 2011 at 2:55pm
view Chris, From Scratch Club's profile

Fantastic kitchen! I love the splash of green.

posted by ChrisNolin on July 19, 2011 at 3:57pm
view ChrisNolin's profile

adorable, and not cluttered

posted by littlecat on July 19, 2011 at 7:56pm
view littlecat's profile

Love it - Mine has about 3 feet mpre than yours. I am wondering where the drawers by the stove are from? Thanks...

posted by rings90 on July 19, 2011 at 10:17pm
view rings90's profile

Super planning here, it looks like you really make this kitchen work!

posted by ashortstorylady on July 20, 2011 at 1:39am
view ashortstorylady's profile

are the drawers by the stove for storage or recycling? I love the custom fit over the trash can.

The pops of green against the clean black and white is very nice. I'd get or make a shelving unit for the microwave/toaster oven, though. Stacking them can be hard on the cases; they'll last longer each on their own shelf.

posted by Threadbndr on July 20, 2011 at 9:47am
view Threadbndr's profile

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments!

@rings90, the drawers and shelving by the stove are just wooden crates that I got from Jo-Ann Fabrics, but I've seen ones elsewhere. You could also recycle wooden pallets or produce boxes. We use these same drawers as bedstands.

@Threadbndr, the drawers currently hold vegetables (root veggies, onion, garlic) and a few other odds & ends. We have a three-bin stacking recycling "center" by our entryway. And I totally agree about shelving for the microwave and toaster... it's on the "to do someday if we stay here long enough" list :)

posted by christine @unspeakvisions on July 20, 2011 at 10:09am
view christine @unspeakvisions's profile

wow, that's teeny tiny, but you made it work! I will never complain about my small kitchen again!!!

posted by teresadelizo on July 20, 2011 at 11:49am
view teresadelizo's profile

Love it!!!!

posted by thesmilequeen on July 21, 2011 at 1:39pm
view thesmilequeen's profile

I am absolutely awestruck by what you've accomplished here. Both smallest and coolest. You should get points for the exquisitely detailed and colored floor plan alone.

posted by Carolyn in Cambridge on July 22, 2011 at 9:55am
view Carolyn in Cambridge's profile

It looks so crisp and clean - makes me hungry for a salad!

posted by kbfromlb on July 22, 2011 at 4:44pm
view kbfromlb's profile

Impressive use of space and color. It's clean, attractive and well-organized. I wish I could say I'd been anywhere near as successful in utilizing galley kitchens and tiny eat-in kitchens where I've rented in the past.

posted by missmaryc on July 29, 2011 at 12:25pm
view missmaryc's profile