Katherine's Bright and Airy Kitchen

Name:

Katherine

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Two for now: My husband and we have a baby boy due in October. (plus our two hound dogs)

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

It's so bright and airy, totally functional, and easy to use. Although it is tiny, our makeover for it makes it feel like so grand. Everything in there was put together by my husband's hands which makes it extra special to me.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

It was a dark, dingy, and cold galley kitchen at first but after knocking down a wall, building in a custom island that functions as our breakfast nook (from old barn beams) and installing heated coils under our floors, we've transformed it into a bright, happy, and lively kitchen. I can already see our new baby crawling around the heated floors during the winter and loving it! One great resource we found was the Habitat for Humanity Restore which has surplus supplies for sale for close to nothing. We got all of our white subway tiles there for about $35.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

We just planted the most fantastic herb garden in our backyard and so cooking anything with our homegrown herbs is a treat. But I'm such a dessert girl at heart, my absolute favorite thing to make is a dark chocolate pudding pie with whipped creme fraiche on top...yum!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (4)

Love it! Can't wait to cook in it with you soon!

posted by JenLeggette on July 22, 2011 at 12:03am
view JenLeggette's profile

The tiles are my favorite part.

posted by j4mi3j on July 24, 2011 at 10:44pm
view j4mi3j's profile

I love the old world sink and the sleek wooden eat-in table top.

posted by Adele22 on July 25, 2011 at 10:40am
view Adele22's profile

I love that everything was done by the two of you. I think the open cabinets is an innovative solution to storage and decor. Good luck to you both!

posted by Aznhokie on July 25, 2011 at 10:52am
view Aznhokie's profile