Brenna

Flat Rock, North Carolina

Division:

Rent

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Me, myself and I!

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

I love the cheerful efficiency of my small cottage kitchen. With the tiny footprint and open shelving, I can wash, stir, simmer, and put things away without moving from my place in front of the window.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

The apartment was in need of some attention when I moved in, and the kitchen, in particular, lacked storage and personality. As I'm renting and was on a budget, I couldn't change the layout or appliances (although the fridge was replaced when it died shortly after my move), but my landlord kindly allowed me to paint and install basic shelving to maximize storage in the tiny space. I scrubbed, painted, installed task lighting and a peg board, and addressed a lack of counter space with a wood cutting board large enough to fit over the sink. After a labor of love, I have a small but happy and functional space to do what I love best: cook for friends!

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

I love experimenting with soups and stews with homemade roast chicken stock, roasted veggie frittatas, seasonal fruit crisps with local berries, peaches, and apples, chocolate chip cookies, and my recent feat: replicating Grandma's chocolate cream pie. Impromptu dinner parties, however, are my favorite--it doesn't take fancy food to spark great conversation with good people.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (7)

Beautiful! You really did a whole lotta work on that kitchen!

posted by thejameswilliam on July 22, 2011 at 2:27pm
view thejameswilliam's profile

What a dismal "before." What a charming "after." Your landlord should be paying you! Great job.

posted by Spencer2 on July 24, 2011 at 8:36pm
view Spencer2's profile

I've cooked with Brenna in this kitchen and it is awesome! So efficient, with a place for everything - bright and cheerful too!

posted by LoriY on July 23, 2011 at 12:41pm
view LoriY's profile

Wow, that before was horrendous. Love what you did with it!

posted by shanalulu on July 24, 2011 at 12:04am
view shanalulu's profile

Thanks so much for the kind comments!

posted by bren03 on July 24, 2011 at 10:11pm
view bren03's profile

I'd love to live in a cottage! Your renovation captured everything lovely about cottage design.

posted by zoe13 on July 25, 2011 at 12:02pm
view zoe13's profile

Hi Brenna, loved what you'ved done with your tiny space! I live in india and have major issues with storage. What is that white storage board you have in image 4? It's WOW... Do you get those things readymade in the US? It's the perfect answer for my kitchen woes!!

posted by Bharg Ravi on December 30, 2011 at 5:12am
view Bharg Ravi's profile