Stephanie's Cheery Cottage Kitchen

Name:

Stephanie

Simsbury, Connecticut

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

5, 2 adults, our 9 and 8 year old girls and our 5 year old boy. We also have 2 dogs who keep the floor clean.

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

When we bought our summer cottage, the kitchen was creepy. Replacing the floor, yet keeping most of the other fixtures and adding a red IKEA cabinet brought the kitchen into the modern age while maintaining its charm. The best part is the summer ease of cooking simple meals that are always devoured quickly.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

The organe cabinet int he corner was initially tough. However, we embraced it, bringing lots of orange intot he kitchen, resulting in a cheery happy space.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Roast chicken, Swdish style with roast potatoes (I always steam them first), curry sauce and lingonberries.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (9)

Pretty curtains and nice rooster. :)

posted by annaminnie on July 22, 2011 at 10:04am
view annaminnie's profile

I am so totally loving this! The red and orange is wonderful, and the lack of stainless steel is a breath of fresh air. Very homey.

posted by kbfromlb on July 22, 2011 at 4:26pm
view kbfromlb's profile

So...messy! I don't feel like I can really know what it would look like without all the clutter.

posted by asmallcontempt on July 23, 2011 at 6:18pm
view asmallcontempt's profile

I'm attracted the vibrant colors and sense of whimsy. I do wonder how a household with children can keep all that fabric free of spatters and grunge, though.

I hearted this one.

posted by malcontent on July 23, 2011 at 7:56pm
view malcontent's profile

I am curious where you got the fabric for under the sink...I love it!

posted by trboyd1 on July 25, 2011 at 8:45am
view trboyd1's profile

I appreciate seeing a kitchen that is not staged. I often imagine the 'clutter' aka evidence of living is shoved in a closet for the sake of a photo. I like to see people's real homes.

posted by SuzeH on July 25, 2011 at 11:44am
view SuzeH's profile

I got the fabric from IKEA. It is rather amazing that I sewed anything at all, so I am very proud of the sink skirt. I got the idea from apartment therapy! And yes, the clutter means real people live there, who spend most of their time swimming in the lake and playing monopoly with the kids. Life is about priorities, including a kitchen that makes me smile, and kids to help with the dishes (even if that means I get to do them again later)

posted by stephl on July 25, 2011 at 12:29pm
view stephl's profile

I'm bummed I didn't get a chance to "favorite" this one. Your kitchen looks cheerful and genuine. My first thought was that it was so refreshing to see your dish washing tubs and drying rack in the sink instead of hidden away for a photo op. Thanks for sharing. :)

posted by onebravegirl on July 25, 2011 at 4:58pm
view onebravegirl's profile

What a bright homey fun kitchen! I love the bowls and egg cups with the faces on them. It reminds me of mugs my late husband bought for each member of the family. The sink is charming and the fabric is great.

posted by lorimav on August 2, 2011 at 12:04am
view lorimav's profile