Amanda

Gainesville, Florida

Division:

Rent

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

One: Just me!

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

It's so functional! The knives, small cutting board, pots and pans and aromatics--onions, shallots, garlic--within reach; small amounts of my readily used spices--and sugar and flour!--nearby so I don't have to dig through my crowded spice cabinet except occasionally; towels and big cutting board out of the way but accessible; smaller appliances and bigger bowls and platters under the island, a nice big sink, the gas stove... and it's pretty, too!

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

I love the Ikea cabinets, but there just aren't enough of them--storage and counter space was a definite issue! There's no real pantry, so the rightmost cabinets took over that job, which left me with not nearly enough storage space. A friend built the island for me, and I outfitted it with an Ikea table top, and originally I thought the top shelf would be perfect for my pots and pans. But after 3 weeks of stacking and unstacking them every time I wanted to cook, I finally hung them on the wall! Some are very expensive and pretty pans, and I use them often enough that I'm not worried about dust, so why not display them? Same for my knives. Most nights, I eat at the island, and it gives friends a place to sit while I cook.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

I can never answer questions like this! I am probably best known for my cakes, but truth be told, what I've been eating almost obsessively is broiled flounder with blue cheese, pine nuts, and basil, alongside some braised red cabbage with a little balsamic or some roasted eggplant, a couple slices of tomato... But you can never go wrong with hot egg noodles with lots of butter, salt and pepper.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (5)

I love the spice containers stuck to the side of the refrigerator! where did you get those!?

posted by chantal26 on July 14, 2011 at 12:57pm
view chantal26's profile

@dailydecor she probably doesn't have before pics because her landlord put in the cabinets, I'm guessing. Since it's a rental.

posted by Put A Bird On It on July 15, 2011 at 2:28am
view Put A Bird On It's profile

Gainesville, represent!! Go Gators! Awesome kitchen :)

Chantal - i am not sure where she got these, but they are definitely available at World Market - I used to have some myself!

posted by mbarilla on July 19, 2011 at 5:27pm
view mbarilla's profile

thanks so much!

posted by chantal26 on July 20, 2011 at 1:24pm
view chantal26's profile

I'd love to know where you got the bar stools?!?

posted by EHL on August 1, 2011 at 3:08pm
view EHL's profile