Welmoed's 70-Year-Old Renovated Kitchen

Name:

Welmoed

Boyds, Maryland

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Two: Me, my husband (and two cats). Our two college-aged kids also drop in occasionally.

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

In this 70-year-old house, the kitchen space is compact. When we bought the house in 1997, we gutted it and started over.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

Trying to get enough counter space! We've learned which small appliances deserve to be left out, and which are only brought out when needed.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Too many to list!! A family favorite is Dad's "Salsified Chicken", which he likes to serve with oven-baked green beans. Yum!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (5)

What's the setup above the stove, under the hood? Racks? For what? I'm not sure I've seen anything like that before.

posted by Joan A. on July 22, 2011 at 10:47am
view Joan A.'s profile

oh, my, gosh...your kitchen and mine are laid out exactly the same way, and I've been looking for inspiration on how to get more counterspace and still be able to walk!!! I'm so glad you posted this, thank you!!!!

posted by bryn on July 22, 2011 at 1:07pm
view bryn's profile

Those are foldable warming racks. The range hood has integrated warming lights, so we can set plates up there to keep foods warm while we finish cooking. The range hood is Thermidor and the range is a DCS.

posted by Inspector Bob on July 22, 2011 at 4:12pm
view Inspector Bob's profile

I liked the 'before' kitchen better.

posted by Caralyn on July 23, 2011 at 11:08am
view Caralyn's profile

@Inspector Bob—thanks. That's a great idea.

posted by Joan A. on July 25, 2011 at 11:33am
view Joan A.'s profile