Natalie's Big-Window Arizona Kitchen

Name:

Natalie

Scottsdale, Arizona

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

2 people + 2 loving kitty cats (sam and sophie)

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

The gorgeous, expansive counter tops - they're as great for entertaining company as they are for rolling dough AND they're naturally antimicrobial so I don't have to be afraid of germies hiding on them! Also, I now have a secret pull-out garbage can so I can scrape food directly from the counter into the trash! Oh, and there's a dishwasher hiding in there, too! How cool is that!?

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

SPACE! We had none - if you look at the "before" kitchen it's kinda hilarious how little the cabinets are. We freed up a ton of counter space by installing an OTR microwave and exchanging our island layout for a solid peninsula. Getting giant upper cabinets provides a ton of storage as well, and all of our cabinets are much taller than our old ones.By opting for deep drawers for storage instead of cabinets (which tend to accrue clutter faster) we are also able to utilize the space we do have more efficiently. We can reach to the very back of our drawers with ease - instead of fighting clutter to get to the back of a cabinet.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

I love baking - so I've been taking advantage of my counters by making anything that requires rolling, kneading, or cutting. The recent roster includes cinnamon pull apart bread and various cookies. Meal-wise BF likes to entertain at the counter - so anything that I can lay out as a "spread" for feasting at the counter on our new stools.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (18)

Great kitchen, but for me it's missing some herbs, or flowers to give it a bit of life.

posted by Nina79 on July 13, 2011 at 6:19pm
view Nina79's profile

Your lower cabinets are beautiful! Would you mind sharing where you got them?

posted by diy enthusiast on July 12, 2011 at 7:01pm
view diy enthusiast's profile

This layout looks almost exactly like what i'm planning - except i'll have the benefit of a pantry directly across from your kitchen entrance. thanks for the inspiration/validation/goose I needed! Beautiful!

posted by rmcgrudiva on July 12, 2011 at 5:21pm
view rmcgrudiva's profile

Love the bow window.

posted by hello123 on July 12, 2011 at 5:41pm
view hello123's profile

Sorry.....I didn't realized it was 3 windows....still looks great!I hope you have a lovely view from it.

posted by hello123 on July 12, 2011 at 5:42pm
view hello123's profile

Thank you! we do have a pretty good view of the mountain from the back - :)
@rmc- the other half really regrets not elongating the peninsular counter out farther, so if your layout is similar you may want to consider that

posted by natalie. on July 12, 2011 at 6:10pm
view natalie.'s profile

it's all ikea, actually. took advantage of their 20% off promo - it was a great deal! They have some really beautiful cabinet options and from what I've researched they're very durable

posted by natalie. on July 13, 2011 at 9:49am
view natalie.'s profile

rmc - we actually have a pantry on the other side of that opening!

diy - forgot to tell you they are ikea's Adel Medium Brown cabinets.

Everything was just installed last month, a vast improvement, but we still have a ton left to do - repaint the walls, find new light fixtures, new flooring and do something with those windows! :)

posted by natalie. on July 13, 2011 at 1:11pm
view natalie.'s profile

I am so impressed with such a vast window area not overpowering the room.Thinking about a treatment for it would stump me.

Off the top of my head I will say less is more.Start with your light fixtures and leave the windows until last.Decide then if you want it to be a focal point of the design or bland in.I'm timid when I feel unsure about how to pull something major into a room.

It's just so beautiful to have windows, a view and so much natural light.You can't go wrong with this kitchen because there is so much right about it.

posted by hello123 on July 13, 2011 at 1:35pm
view hello123's profile

looks great!

posted by nikki l on July 19, 2011 at 12:00pm
view nikki l's profile

What anti-microbial couner top is this?

What a beautiful transition. I would not do anything to the kitchen windows unless you are getting too much heat in them - then you are on your own :-). Why not make the cabinet area over the fridge flush with the front of the fridge. It's unusable space otherwise. You can put a slotted fitting there for baking pans and trays.

posted by HeraHere on July 19, 2011 at 11:01pm
view HeraHere's profile

Thanks for the comments; very helpful! On the extension of the counter, y'all have a more open floor space than I do, so I'm limited by the hallway :) I was wondering about the outer door opening into the counter; I'm looking to widen mine, and keep thinking that it may be an issue. Has it been for you?
Those really are beautiful cabinets!

posted by rmcgrudiva on July 20, 2011 at 1:02pm

OMG the door! I swear I woke up in the middle of the night panicked when I realized our door opened the wrong way!
We're going to have to switch it out for one that opens to the outside or at least has a left-hand hinge (it's on our long list of things to do - haha).
For now, though, We just attached this little bumper thingy that you put on the hinge to prevent the door from opening into the counter. It only cost us like $4 at the hardware store, and will suffice until we have the time and money to get a whole new door & frame.

posted by natalie. on July 21, 2011 at 10:32am
view natalie.'s profile

Thank you for sharing the cabinet information. Kudos to you!

posted by diy enthusiast on July 21, 2011 at 12:13pm
view diy enthusiast's profile

you kitchen look speshal.

posted by sirchristopherkochthegreat on July 21, 2011 at 10:39pm
view sirchristopherkochthegreat's profile

Natalie,

Ha! That is truly a nightmare thought, isn't it? I've got a 6' table in that space now, just to see how it would work, but I did give myself a 3 ft clearance on the door side. That may look funky for a counter, though...

posted by rmcgrudiva on July 22, 2011 at 1:26pm

Yo fridge is shiny. I like it.

posted by sumyunguy on July 22, 2011 at 7:33pm
view sumyunguy's profile

Very simple and Clean looking, Congrats, very well planned out.

posted by Lavada on March 2, 2012 at 5:59pm
view Lavada's profile