Marguerite

Cambridge, Massachusetts

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Two: My husband and me.

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

An apartment that smells like last night's soup? A fridge that froze veggies and emitted the sustained buzz of cicadas? A gap above the cabinets that trapped dust and grease? These are just a few features that were NOT cool about our kitchen before we renovated it. (See "before" shot in black and white) Now, my kitchen is the coolest because aside from being beautiful it is a pleasure to use whether it be rolling out pizza dough on the soapstone counters, chopping veggies on my giant butcher block or simmering a stew in my 7-quart Dutch oven.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

The kitchen is in full view from the main room of the apartment. Therefore storing all my baking and cooking equipment in an aesthetically pleasing way was a challenge. Extending the cabinets up to the ceiling gave me more storage for dishes, glasses and supplies. A counterdepth cabinet above the fridge houses my various baking pans and KitchenAid attachments out of sight. The ingenious swing-out lazy susan gives me easy access to my small appliances stored in the blind corner cabinet.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

My favorite meal right now is probably seared salmon or striper (skin on), wine-braised fennel, and a farro salad with herbs and arugula. For dessert it's got to be a pie! I am hoping to do a lattice-top sour cherry pie as soon as the cherries hit the farmer's market.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (20)

Who makes your fridge?

posted by gretamargreta on July 6, 2011 at 12:40pm
view gretamargreta's profile

Where did you get the swing out lazy susan in pic 2? We have deep corner cabinets like that and I've been trying to find some of these for a good price.

posted by HeyNowTex on July 6, 2011 at 1:02pm
view HeyNowTex's profile

Outstanding! Are your cabinets painted wood or MDF?

posted by Carolyn in Cambridge on July 6, 2011 at 2:46pm
view Carolyn in Cambridge's profile

Fantastic kitchen and use of space. It is classic and sophisticated and I love the way you incorporated different materials. Who is the manufacturer for your refrigerator/freezer?

posted by jld15 on July 6, 2011 at 2:53pm
view jld15's profile

Hi! Marguerite here: Thanks for your compliments.

First, the fridge is made by Summit (Model FFBF285SS) It's counterdepth with a 13.8 cubic feet capacity. It's slightly smaller than a standard fridge but it's plenty big for two people. I've had it for a year and have no complaints.

The cabinets are Merrillat Masterpiece and they are painted wood. The color is called "canvas" and is a warmer white.

The lazy susan is also from Merrillat. I've seen other interesting blind corner contraptions but a lot of them needed 48'' of wall space and I only had 46.5".

posted by heypielady on July 6, 2011 at 4:00pm
view heypielady's profile

Great use of space!! I also love the bits of wood incorporated with the black and white. It adds just the right amount of warmth.

(To other readers: I also have a Summit refrigerator and highly recommend them. They've got an excellent selection of slightly-smaller-than-usual sizes.)

posted by jarobinson1 on July 6, 2011 at 4:39pm
view jarobinson1's profile

What material are your countertops made of?

posted by Put A Bird On It on July 6, 2011 at 9:05pm
view Put A Bird On It's profile

As a soapstone kitchen counter person myself, I am always thrilled to see others use it in their kitchens. Beautiful!

posted by mschatelaine on July 7, 2011 at 4:50am
view mschatelaine's profile

This is a FAB kitchen. I love that you used glass in one cab and used a slide in stove.

To my eye, both of those things really make a kitchen look bigger.

Oh - and count me as another fan of your soapstone!

posted by Ms. Vickie on July 7, 2011 at 1:34pm
view Ms. Vickie's profile

Enjoying the pic!

posted by jamaica2009 on July 7, 2011 at 7:41pm
view jamaica2009's profile

there are a lot of things that are right about this kitchen. good job! it's a classic "cafe" look.

posted by kjansson on July 9, 2011 at 1:52pm
view kjansson's profile

very nice. its simple but beautiful. i love the wood and the stainless. they go well together in such a small space.

posted by bensmagginolia on July 10, 2011 at 8:31pm
view bensmagginolia's profile

hi. love your kitchen - a lot! can you please tell me who makes the hood over your stove and where you ended up installing your microwave? thank you!

posted by regcol on July 11, 2011 at 7:49am
view regcol's profile

@regcol. The hood is made by Kobe (model RA94) I ordered it online from thenaturalhome.com. It was hard to find a good range hood in stores to look at in person so I took a chance and it worked out.

The microwave...I actually don't have one right now. The old one was enormous and dying. My plan was/is to get a smaller countertop microwave and put it in that nook to the right of the fridge where you see my cookbook stand now. I just haven't gotten around to buying it.

posted by heypielady on July 11, 2011 at 9:28am

This is my favorite kitchen---would love to cook here. It's so simple, very functional, and I love the veining in the soapstone. Is there a skylight overhead?

posted by skatz12 on July 11, 2011 at 5:28pm
view skatz12's profile

@skatz12: Thanks for your kind words. Yes, one of the best original features of the kitchen is the skylight! A lot of my friends didn't even notice it until after the renovation. The cabinets to the ceiling really draw your eyes up.

posted by Ted Warburton on July 11, 2011 at 10:18pm
view Ted Warburton's profile

Great kitchen! Love the faucet--what company/model please? Does it have a pull out spray?

posted by love_APT_site on July 14, 2011 at 12:59am
view love_APT_site's profile

@love APT site: the faucet is Grohe (model 32 319) I got it in chrome but they also have it in brushed nickel I think. It does have a pull out spray which works great. I found it on faucetdirect.com but I think I ended up ordering it from Amazon because it was cheaper there.

posted by heypielady on July 15, 2011 at 7:27am

Nice job with your clean design.

I always love seeing small kitchens with the counter-depth fridges. They just make so much more sense, don't they? I love mine too!

posted by tanya67 on July 25, 2011 at 12:01pm
view tanya67's profile

corner cabinet

there are a lot of things that are right about this kitchen. good job! it's a classic "cafe" look.

posted by mver1 on November 24, 2011 at 6:12am
view mver1's profile