Alex

Washington, Washington D.C.

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

2+: Alex, Jon & Wanda the Corgi

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

Our kitchen is cool because it was all DIY save the granite install. And it was done on a tight $8k budget. It's still small, but a million times more functional than the mid-90s kitchen it replaced.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

We did this without owning a car. Deliveries where possible, DC Metro, Zip Car on occasion, and *a lot* of walking to the hardware store.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Actually, that simple "moist, tender chicken" recipe we found on this site. We make our "crack" chicken at least once a week. You can pair it with anything!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (18)

love it!

posted by samara on July 11, 2011 at 7:19pm
view samara's profile

Where did you get the steel shelves that you have on the wall? I have been looking for something like that for my own kitchen.

posted by christinesass on July 5, 2011 at 3:30pm
view christinesass's profile

I'm just guessing christinesass but it looks like Elfa shelving done in the platinum color.

posted by Ms. Vickie on July 6, 2011 at 3:36pm
view Ms. Vickie's profile

Those are standard stainless Elfa shelves from The Container Store. We've got Elfa in several places in the house and it's great. Enjoy!

posted by xand83 on July 6, 2011 at 3:44pm
view xand83's profile

this is by far the coolest!

posted by ChristinaBianchini on July 6, 2011 at 4:09pm
view ChristinaBianchini's profile

Small, practical changes making a huge difference, and such a good use of colour, texture and open storage. And without a car... I'd rather like a tour of the whole apartment, I suspect...

posted by Rodosee on July 7, 2011 at 3:31am
view Rodosee's profile

I love the print of Washington DC. Mind sharing where you got it?

posted by c27 on July 7, 2011 at 10:24pm
view c27's profile

Sure thing! Here you go: http://www.orkposters.com/dc.html

posted by xand83 on July 8, 2011 at 8:16am
view xand83's profile

Well thought out, materials and appliances are spot on. Would use them to design and choose materials for my kitchen.

posted by Grammy1 on July 8, 2011 at 6:33pm
view Grammy1's profile

I'm not understanding the need to continue tile out on walls in such awkward shapes. The paint is not my favorite, but it's just paint. It works.

posted by kjansson on July 9, 2011 at 2:02pm
view kjansson's profile

Looks like you got a big bang for the buck! I like that you moved the refrigerator for more counter space. Interesting choice of color, I wouldn't have chosen it myself, but it does work.

posted by jlacocella on July 9, 2011 at 9:14pm
view jlacocella's profile

Love your kitchen, the wall color and the complement of the exposed brick. Where can I find, or are you willing to share the chicken recipe?

posted by oobladee on July 11, 2011 at 4:10pm
view oobladee's profile

How do you wash pots and pans in that tiny of a sink?

posted by ssfrank215 on July 12, 2011 at 3:13pm
view ssfrank215's profile

@ssfrank215: We don't, that' what a dishwasher is for :) It's a good motivator to just throw everything into the dw quickly. But the sink is fine, it is smaller, but pretty deep. One of the sacrifices we had to make to get the extra storage we got with the carousel in the next cabinet. Before, that was just dead space.

posted by xand83 on July 12, 2011 at 3:20pm
view xand83's profile

Agree on the sink xand83. My small kitchen also has a single sink. Double sinks just waste precious bench space in small kitchens, especially when you can utilize dishwashers!

posted by Chantaeux on July 12, 2011 at 6:43pm
view Chantaeux's profile

Alex - Can you tell me what the wood is on your cabinet doors? I'm going to be attempting DIY cabinet doors next month.
Thx!

posted by lisethog on July 13, 2011 at 2:12pm
view lisethog's profile

Hi lisethog. The lower doors are Ikea's Solar Beech line, but they were discontinued late last summer. I snagged them at that time and stored them away until it was time to reno the kitchen.

posted by xand83 on July 13, 2011 at 4:00pm
view xand83's profile