Amy

Brooklyn, New York

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Two - Myself and my husband Christian.

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

We just finished a renovation and we love it. We opened up the kitchen to the living room and our small kitchen now feels very large. We increased the storage by installing cabinets to the ceiling, added an island to increase the counter top space, moved the sink so there is counter space next to the oven, raised the counters to make it more comfortable to prep food and designed the space to flow with our living room.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

The kitchen was cut off from the rest of the apartment. Now we can cook and entertain at the same time.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Brunch.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (23)

Love the lighting, the counters and the cabinets! Awesome!

posted by Debra-Ellen on July 11, 2011 at 9:16pm
view Debra-Ellen's profile

Definitely a nice opened-up airy look.

Can you tell me what your countertop material is? The light color and the grain really seem to add to the open look.

posted by Ms. Vickie on July 8, 2011 at 3:24pm
view Ms. Vickie's profile

OMG, I also love the countertop! What is the material?

posted by joydreamz on July 8, 2011 at 4:10pm
view joydreamz's profile

I have to agree. I really like the counter top.

posted by enidb on July 8, 2011 at 4:32pm
view enidb's profile

Great space, but I think it would look even better with a few fresh herbs growing on the window sill.

posted by Nina79 on July 8, 2011 at 5:07pm
view Nina79's profile

not bad, not sure about the subway tile stripe going across the back feature wall like that... I would've saved the money on the extra tile and instead found a really interesting light fixture (that when standing back it hangs down at the perfect height where it accentuates the window). That way it would've kept the vertical movement of the eye. when looking at that wall.

posted by kjansson on July 9, 2011 at 1:35pm
view kjansson's profile

i love the countertops and the use of shelves. very nice.

posted by bensmagginolia on July 10, 2011 at 8:33pm
view bensmagginolia's profile

Looks awesome!

posted by jenjen5675 on July 11, 2011 at 11:49am
view jenjen5675's profile

I think this is a perfect kitchen! bright, airy, beautiful countertop- opens up the whole space. Just perfect!

posted by phylcapp on July 11, 2011 at 11:59am
view phylcapp's profile

Love, love. Countertops + subway tile = modern Brooklyn. Light and airy to keep it feeling open.

posted by stvhamill on July 11, 2011 at 1:09pm
view stvhamill's profile

great job! I like the smorgasbord photo the best :). What are those little sliced egg-things you're serving?

posted by ali07 on July 11, 2011 at 2:27pm
view ali07's profile

Opening up the floor plan really brings the kitchen to life & enhances the living room! The use of white cabinets makes for an open & airy feel - looks like a great area for entertaining or just relaxing with some good homemade food!

posted by mafeldie on July 11, 2011 at 4:47pm
view mafeldie's profile

The countertop is wonderful. Looks like a great kitchen to cook in. It looks like it could use a little color or herbs growing like Nina79 mentioned.

posted by House Voyeur on July 11, 2011 at 11:13pm
view House Voyeur's profile

What an amazing kitchen. I absolutely love the countertop and the exposed shelving. You did a wonderful job!!

posted by Dawn Pinnisi on July 12, 2011 at 10:15am
view Dawn Pinnisi's profile

I love everything about your renovation.... looks like you really maximized your space.. LOVE the shelving and countertop..enjoy your new kitchen!!

posted by Josephine Beckmann on July 12, 2011 at 12:45pm
view Josephine Beckmann's profile

Great use of space! It looks beautiful and easy to navigate. Best wishes!!!

posted by c8e8m8 on July 12, 2011 at 1:08pm
view c8e8m8's profile

Beautiful and very unique counter-tops. I second @ali07, please give brunch menu(assuming it was brunch). It looks great too.

posted by layan on July 12, 2011 at 5:36pm
view layan's profile

Thanks for all the comments and the suggestion about the herbs. We moved our herbs to the sill and it looks great!

The countertops are Olympic Gray Marble from ABC Worldwide Stone in Brooklyn.

The Brunch menu:
-Eggs cooked in tomato cups w Romaine Pesto (Smitten Kitchen and Epicurious)
-Eggs cooked in Pancetta cups (recipes all over the web)
- Ina Garten's herb baked salmon
- Boozy Baked french toast (smitten kitchen)
- Watermelon, Feta and Arugula salad
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes w Rosemarry
- Brooklyn Bagels (of course)

posted by apt3R on July 13, 2011 at 1:59pm
view apt3R's profile

Like it open! Thoughtful choice of counter: lines create impression of a longer space. Nice and ... homy. Congrats!

posted by N.P. on July 14, 2011 at 6:21am
view N.P.'s profile

This kitchen looks AWESOME! I love the open layout and great use of space. Best kitchen EVER!

posted by AES on July 18, 2011 at 6:23pm
view AES's profile

I like that you used a backslash at the end of the counters to protect the wall.Tile savings would have been negligible,if that was your intent.I think a window treatment would be a better consideration than a hanging fixture because of the headers.The lighting is functional and modern.I wouldn't pick a fussy window treatment.Nobody is going to look up in this kitchen because of the header and it's size.There is a large window for such a small space.Kinda like a FOCAL point.(wink)

posted by hello123 on July 19, 2011 at 10:55am
view hello123's profile

Opening the floor plan into the remaining living area is seamless. It does not overpower the adjoining living space but enhances it by making the environment inviting. The meticulous choice of elements from the quasi-exotic white and gray countertops, clean edge cabinetry, retro subway tile, and recessed lighting made for a pleasant modern spin on white. Really FAB!

posted by Downtown Joe on July 21, 2011 at 6:46pm
view Downtown Joe's profile

LOVE the counter tops. I have a weakness for stripes.

saraalana.wordpress.com

posted by sara alana on July 21, 2011 at 7:13pm
view sara alana's profile