April's Light, Bright and White Kitchen

Name:

April

Washington, Washington D.C.

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Three...My husband, our 1 1/2 year old and me (and Colby our Chocolate Lab).

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

Since we live in a rowhouse, it was important to keep it light and airy. The open shelving, with rotating objects and favorite pieces of art, goes a long way...

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

Well, our kitchen was actually in a much smaller space, so we flip flopped it so it would be a place where friends and family could all hang out together.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

During the winter, we love to spend a Sunday cooking a long, slow, meaty stew. And during the summer, it's preparing food for the grill. But we love cooking meals that all three of us can eat.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (10)

Thanks! Our appliances are jenn-air floating glass...we love them. (have never been worried about breaking them)

posted by ahatton on July 23, 2011 at 8:15pm
view ahatton's profile

This kitchen looks modern and fresh without being cold. Love the white appliances-are those the Jenair glass ones? I always wondered if I'd have to worry about breaking the glass.

posted by HeyNowTex on July 22, 2011 at 12:39pm
view HeyNowTex's profile

@HeyNowTex ... I agree.. I would like stainless steel, but I think id like these more now. They look like Samsung to me

posted by Marc8Katherine on July 23, 2011 at 5:39pm
view Marc8Katherine's profile

I love your kitchen island with room for storage and seating! Where did you find it?

posted by Genevieve Lynn on July 25, 2011 at 8:56am
view Genevieve Lynn's profile

Wow - love it and it looks like the exact same configuration we are considering for the kitchen in our rowhouse in DC - although maybe with a corner sink. I was worried about how functional our layout we be for a small kitchen but this is really encouraging. Any chance you could post the measurements?

posted by catnap on July 25, 2011 at 4:27pm
view catnap's profile

These are probably the nicest white appliances I've seen. They look great in your kitchen and contribute to the "zen" feeling.

posted by heather77 on July 25, 2011 at 4:17pm
view heather77's profile

Jenn-air should use your kitchen in their ads! Your kitchen is a beautiful example of white in a kitchen without making it look like a blizzard or making the contrasts look to choppy.

I love everything about this kitchen from the layout to the looks.

Oh, and I'd love to know the source of your island as well.

posted by Ms. Vickie on July 25, 2011 at 4:36pm
view Ms. Vickie's profile

kitchen island: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00116996

the photos don't really show it, but if you search this product on google, you can see how the other side has room for seating.

posted by megancupcake on July 26, 2011 at 1:50am
view megancupcake's profile

Thanks for the info megan. I'm surprised I haven't seen that in more kitchens!

posted by Ms. Vickie on July 26, 2011 at 2:35am
view Ms. Vickie's profile

Where is your backsplash tile from? It's beautiful.

posted by Chris at Apartment Therapy on July 26, 2011 at 11:45am
view Chris at Apartment Therapy's profile