Anisa's Warm, Welcoming Kitchen

Name:

Anisa

Madison, Wisconsin

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Two plus: My husband and myself and our cats Tricksy and Pekoe.

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

This may sound nutty, but it feels like this is the kitchen this house was always supposed to have. We tried hard not to over-modernize, but to instead stay true to the rest of the space. It's warm and welcoming and looks much bigger than it is.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

The original kitchen almost kept us from buying the house. It was narrow and dark and completely uninspiring. Taking out part of the wall between the dining room and kitchen went a long way towards opening the space up. We also happily realized that the chimney was partially in the kitchen, just covered up, so we uncovered and white-washed it and chose the subway tiles to mimic the lines of the brick. The chalk board was a $5 craigslist find.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Pie! While not a meal, it is my favorite thing to make. It's not very noticeable, but the quasi-island is built a little shorter than the rest of the counters so that it's the perfect height for me to roll pie dough. I'm 4'9", so normal sized counters are a touch high and make my arms tired after working with lots of dough. I actually stood with a rolling pin and pretended to roll dough while my husband measured from the floor to my rolling pin.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (6)

Great work I love how you extended the kitchen into the dining room and wrapped the counter - so clever! I've had a difficult time finding a beautiful orange for my house, and I love this orange. What is it?

posted by laurenb on July 22, 2011 at 12:09pm
view laurenb's profile

laurenb - thanks! I wanted more of an island but there is some key ductwork there so we couldn't get rid of anymore wall. The wrap-around was a compromise that I now love. The wall color is Behr Apple Crisp.

posted by orangepekoe on July 22, 2011 at 12:31pm
view orangepekoe's profile

This is beautiful! I love the use of space -- galley-style kitchens can so often feel dark and crowded, and this feels bright and airy. Well done!

posted by Cailo on July 23, 2011 at 7:05pm
view Cailo's profile

Woohoo! A Madison entry! Looove it.

posted by miss*moxie on July 23, 2011 at 9:23pm
view miss*moxie's profile

I love the wrap-around bar, and the orange and blue/gray paint colors look really nice. I'd love to see a full tour of this one!

posted by sagekitten85 on July 25, 2011 at 2:17am
view sagekitten85's profile

I love this kitchen! I am in Madison also; who did you use for your cabinets?

posted by Abbymaru on August 23, 2011 at 1:50pm
view Abbymaru's profile