Meghann

Seattle, Washington

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

2 and one kitty

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

The new kitchen is a cheerful, playful, and most importantly, open space that inspires us to spend more time in it creating delicious new food.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

The 5th photo I've submitted is of our kitchen before our remodel. Our kitchen used to be a closed off space from the rest of our mostly open floor plan, feeling like a cramped, dimly lit hallway of a cooking space. My husband is a chef, and we were having difficulties cooking together in such a cramped space. In the remodel we made the 'window' to the rest of the condo much wider, expanding our counter space, and allowing more natural light into the kitchen. We also brightened the space by adding shiny white ceramic penny tiles to the entire backsplash and space above the sink. We found the tiles for cheap on overstock.com and paid a contractor to install them. Now the kitchen allows us to cook together, one on each side of the counter, and also allows us to socialize while hosting dinner parties, since the kitchen is more accessible to the rest of our living space.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Mine would be fresh baked bread. The additional counter space is much easier to work with when rolling out and playing with dough. My husband is delighted by the ability to cook meals for friends while having the space to have them help out or just sit with a glass of wine and have a good conversation while not being directly in the kitchen.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (6)

Very pretty. As someone who loves to bake, I sympathize with your husband; I don't think i could handle such a tiny kitchen. One thing I love is all the drawers on the bottom cabinets. Also like how the counter extends into the dining space and the shelves on the wall next to it. What kind of countertops do you have?

posted by HeyNowTex on July 7, 2011 at 9:33am
view HeyNowTex's profile

Thanks HeyNowTex! The countertops are Caesarstone in organic white. We used to have terrible cream colored laminate that stained if you looked at it funny. So far we're really loving the Caesarstone, so easy to clean and so shiny!

posted by Noelle153 on July 8, 2011 at 1:01pm
view Noelle153's profile

can't go wrong with this look, it's a classic cabinet in a classic color. That yellow is another story, but the kitchen is great.

posted by kjansson on July 9, 2011 at 1:40pm
view kjansson's profile

I love that you went to the ceiling with the pennies! It is exactly what the kitchen needed for a statement and I am so glad you didn't cheap out and only do a few feet.

posted by Ban Clothing on July 11, 2011 at 3:19pm
view Ban Clothing's profile

I love the yellow. :)

posted by flyingchange on July 12, 2011 at 9:17pm
view flyingchange's profile

Thanks all! We knew before we began painting that the yellow would be polarizing. Generally reactions swing between 'color! love!' and 'woah that's yellow' - certainly not for everyone, but I don't know how I would get through 8 months of gray without it!

posted by Noelle153 on July 13, 2011 at 7:47pm
view Noelle153's profile