Alex's Cool, Efficient Galley Kitchen

Name:

Alexandra

Voula, Greece

Division:

International

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Two: My husband and me but hopefully this will change soon with an extra member!!!!!

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

The fact that we designed it from scratch and then we saw it come to life. The colours used, the efficient cabinets, the bar and the actual position in regards to the rest of the house: direct access to the living room and the dining room.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

The biggest challenge we faced was how to place the cabinets in the right side of the kitchen since we had to pass the A/C copper tubes coming from the dining room through the plasterboard and then directing them out in the balcony. In the end we decided to re-position the fridge on that side and creating a cabinet on top that will cover the tube. Not a very difficult challenge but the problem was the limited space that didn't allow us losing not even half an inch.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

I love to cook spaghetti and try making different sauces to accompany it. Searching the net or asking mom to give me advice, I love trying to find different combinations that will make my meal enjoyable. Latest "discovery": spaghetti with aubergine and walnut sauce!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (10)

This is just lovely! I love the materials that you've used. Very modern.

posted by mauishopgirl on July 6, 2011 at 4:40pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

its such a European kitchen. What's up with the teeny tiny light fixture on the ceiling?!

posted by kjansson on July 9, 2011 at 1:43pm
view kjansson's profile

:) Hello!!! Well about the light fixture... We wanted to have a discrete light on the ceiling since we have extra lights underneath the cabinets and over the bar. Besides that we also have a suspended ceiling light on the dining room that is next to the kitchen and we didn't want to overwhelm the place with ceiling lights. Do you think it's "too discrete"?

posted by Alex from Athens-BsAs on July 11, 2011 at 4:56am
view Alex from Athens-BsAs's profile

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the cabinets. Where did you get them??? Thx

posted by Sweetpea63 on July 11, 2011 at 9:02am
view Sweetpea63's profile

I like your kitchen but I just want to take it and shake it and yell "get a personality".

posted by House Voyeur on July 11, 2011 at 11:31pm
view House Voyeur's profile

@Sweetpea63: thank you!! We chose them with out carpenter. It's a greek model but I suppose you can get it anywhere!!!

posted by Alex from Athens-BsAs on July 12, 2011 at 2:42am

@House Voyeur: Thanx for the post!! I suppose by personality one could mean adding more colour and a personal touch, right? Well we just moved in so I really hope we will add these little details time by time. Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

posted by Alex from Athens-BsAs on July 12, 2011 at 2:45am

@mauishopgirl: thank you for your comment!!!

posted by Alex from Athens-BsAs on July 12, 2011 at 3:15am

I just had to stop by and tell you how much I love that you designed your kitchen from scratch! And, living in Greece makes just about any kitchen fab. But the colors you chose are wonderful and soothing. I can feel the coolness of your floor tile underneath my bare feet - such a nice selection of tile. Enjoy your kitchen - and Greece! :-)

posted by Bungalow of Joy on July 12, 2011 at 10:52pm
view Bungalow of Joy's profile

@ elizabeth m: Thank you so much for your kind comments! We just bought our house and we had to undergo a major renovation. But it was worth all the stress and the hard work. We still want to do a lot of things but we'll take things slowly! Thanx again!

posted by Alex from Athens-BsAs on July 14, 2011 at 2:47am