Jerilynn

Indianapolis, Indiana

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

2, Me and my husband

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

Total kitchen renovation- added storage space, more of a open flow, and a more modern look all for under $5000.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

Lighting- there was only a florescent ceiling panel lighting and we were able to open up the ceiling to give the room a more open feel with new additional lighting.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Pasta and baking cakes for friends and family to enjoy!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (13)

I love the cabinets. Where did you find them?

posted by rachel645 on July 8, 2011 at 4:24pm
view rachel645's profile

How did you keep it under $5k?

posted by blogkitten on July 8, 2011 at 3:09pm
view blogkitten's profile

I would also like to know where the cabinets are from, how much they cost, and how you kept the cost under $5000 please!

posted by samjanehui on July 8, 2011 at 7:15pm
view samjanehui's profile

Needs something above the sink...

posted by Put A Bird On It on July 8, 2011 at 9:24pm
view Put A Bird On It's profile

I like that you opened up the ceiling, but I would have picked a lighting that dropped down past it, in order to bring more light to the kitchen.

posted by RocketScientist on July 9, 2011 at 12:15pm
view RocketScientist's profile

too dark

posted by kjansson on July 9, 2011 at 1:29pm
view kjansson's profile

Other than the ceiling, I really couldn't tell which was before and which was after. From the front page, I assumed the dark kitchen was the before. =X

posted by overture on July 11, 2011 at 3:19pm
view overture's profile

@overture-The before is the yellow cabinets, white floor, old appliances, and brown/red walls.

@blogkitten- We did all the instillation of everything ourselves, bought scratch and dent appliances and shopped for good sales on everything else.

The cabinets are from Menards and were very reasonable in price compared to other places we shopped.

posted by jruetz on July 11, 2011 at 7:40pm
view jruetz's profile

This kitchen is awesome and serves well for entertainment as it flows to the outdoors as well as living area. Great job of shopping and getting the best bargains and of course having some handy "free" carpenters! Looks totally different!

posted by ivalaura on July 12, 2011 at 1:39pm
view ivalaura's profile

The before was hideous...nice job!

posted by Roozter on July 14, 2011 at 9:52am
view Roozter's profile

this kitchen has a really sleek look, I really enjoy how the dark colors all compliment so well with one another.

posted by kitchenhip on July 19, 2011 at 3:15pm
view kitchenhip's profile

I'm wondering how you did the ceiling? Your husband must be a real handyman :)

Staceyann Dolenti

posted by staceyann dolenti on August 18, 2011 at 4:14pm
view staceyann dolenti's profile

The new kitchen is much nicer but it's a big pet peeve of mine when people do this with recessed boxes versus just removing the entire drop down ceiling. Usually they are not functional and for the price of sheetrock and paint it makes a huge difference in the openess of the room.

posted by debtx on August 20, 2011 at 4:59pm
view debtx's profile