Saundra's Glam Renovated Kitchen

Name:

Saundra

Union City, New Jersey

Division:

Own

Square Feet:

How many people live in home:

Just me (and Tom and Henry-George, my cats)

What makes your small kitchen so cool?

Clean lines. Clean look. Style. What makes my kitchen so cool was overcoming its original layout. I now have a kitchen that is open and easy to move around in.

One challenge you overcame in your small kitchen, or a good resource you've found.

It was a small, cramped, poorly designed space with little or no usable countertop space. I was able to knock down a small wall and open the space up. I designed the layout including the open pantry which was originally unused wasted space. I now have an additional view of Lower Manhattan through the kitchen window.

Favorite Meal to Cook in Kitchen

Taking those little boxes out of the freezer and popping them into the microwave. Actually, I like to smoke and/or poach salmon with steamed vegetables.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (16)

Sweet and glam!

posted by jamaica2009 on July 5, 2011 at 9:02am
view jamaica2009's profile

Wow...looks lovely. That back tile wall really brings the posh and takes it to another level.

posted by Kat88 on July 5, 2011 at 1:35pm
view Kat88's profile

Stunning!

posted by limes on July 6, 2011 at 2:20am
view limes's profile

That is a tough layout! You've definitely made the best of it with the shelving on the right.

posted by mauishopgirl on July 6, 2011 at 2:58pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

Thank you for the nice comments. I am very happy with the way it turned out.

I like copper; the small recycled tiles on the walls are from Home Depot and are heavily accented in copper. Additionally, the black granite countertop has copper flecks. However, I would reconsider using black granite next time as I am constantly cleaning it. Probably would do a caramel color next kitchen.

Had to use a contractor as I am in a Co-op, he made the niche for the refrigerator 30” wide however, I had already purchased a 24” refrigerator, so I have options.

I’ve had the chandelier for years, it couldn’t be hung in the dining area so I though why not the kitchen, love it.

In the rest of the apartment I had new birch floors, crown molding, my office finished off and a walk-in closet installed.

posted by Hopefully, helpful! on July 6, 2011 at 8:22pm
view Hopefully, helpful!'s profile

Kitchen looks absolutely beautiful I love the
brown cabinets and the way it is being designed.

posted by Sonia from Hollis on July 7, 2011 at 3:10pm
view Sonia from Hollis's profile

Magnificent

posted by Joyce from Uniondale on July 7, 2011 at 2:45pm
view Joyce from Uniondale's profile

Great job! Classy for such a small space.
49 sq. ft. by the looks is about 5.5 wide by 9 ft. deep. The open shelving is cool.

posted by PinkRoseSalt on July 8, 2011 at 11:54am
view PinkRoseSalt's profile

it has a personality, which is nice. I'm not sure if I like seeing the grout lines on the black tiles on the wall. Regardless, it's nice in there.

posted by kjansson on July 9, 2011 at 1:57pm
view kjansson's profile

This is gorgeous! This is what a renovation looks like in a small kitchen. Completely glam!

posted by hrlemwrlddiva on July 9, 2011 at 3:00pm
view hrlemwrlddiva's profile

Lovely, the tile wall along with the tile on the back of the selves is fantastic. Having the open storage with shallow shelves was a smart choice.

posted by Ban Clothing on July 11, 2011 at 3:26pm
view Ban Clothing's profile

Fantastic! A kitchen I would LOVE to own.

posted by Pedleyfigg on July 19, 2011 at 12:27pm
view Pedleyfigg's profile

For 49 sqft, you sure made it look elegant and classy !

posted by kitchenhip on July 19, 2011 at 3:21pm
view kitchenhip's profile

LOVE< LOVE this space!

posted by howyadoin? on July 24, 2011 at 6:24pm
view howyadoin?'s profile

Great use of your small space!

posted by tanya67 on July 25, 2011 at 12:09pm
view tanya67's profile

The kitchen is really beautiful. Well done.

I lived in Union City until I was 9, on 10th Street. What a surprise to see you live there too!

posted by ILB on August 4, 2011 at 12:33am
view ILB's profile