- 3/29 — Submission Forms open.
- 4/2 — Selected entries will begin to be posted. Readers may respond by choosing their favorite entries. Readers may mark as many entries as they like as favorites during this period. Readers may mark each entry as a favorite only once.
- 4/18 —Submission form will close and no entries will be accepted after 23:59:59 EST.
- 4/30 — The initial round of selecting favorites will close at 12:00:00 (noon) EST. Reader favorite feedback on the National entries will be tallied and the entry determined to be the top reader favorite in each size division will move on to the final vote where the grand prize winner will be determined.
- 5/1 — The final round featuring the 4 size division finalists will be open for voting and will continue through 5/2.
- 5/2 — Voting in the final round will cease at at 15:00:00 EST and a Grand Prize Winner will be determined and announced.
- We're collecting entries from 3/29 through 4/18, 2012. Submission forms will close and no entries will be accepted after 23:59:59 EST on 4/18. No late submissions will be accepted.
- Selected entries will be posted beginning 4/2. Readers may respond by choosing their favorite entries. Readers may mark as many entries as they like as favorites during this period. Readers may mark each entry as a favorite only once. This initial round of selecting favorites will conclude on 4/30 at 12:00:00 (noon) EST.
- We will announce 4 finalists (one from each National size division) based on reader favorite feedback on 5/1. An International winner will also be determined at this time based on the reader favorite feedback.
- The top 4 size division finalists will then compete in a final round to determine the National grand prize winner. Votes will be collected through 15:00:00 EST on 5/2.
- A National grand prize winner (the entry receiving the greatest number of votes during the final round) will be announced on 5/2.
- Read the U.S. Rules or the International Rules for more information.
- The floorplan and 5 entry photos should feature a single home under 1000 square feet. The home must be lived in by the contest applicant—it can be owned, rented or sublet. The home can be designed by a professional, weekend hobbyist or design enthusiast.
- Readers age 18 and up are invited to enter the contest and share their home. Due to legal limitations and shipping costs, only U.S. residents are eligible to win the National contest prizes. International readers are invited to submit entries for exhibition on the site but are not eligible to win the National contest prizes.
- Once submitted, no contest entry may be changed, altered or enhanced.
- One entry per household. Only one Apartment Therapy user account per person.
- Submissions for the 2012 Small Cool Contest will be accepted beginning 3/29. The deadline for submitting an entry form for the contest is 4/18.
- Submissions consist of a floorplan and 5 photos of your under-1000 square foot home.
- Make sure you complete all the required fields on the contest entry form.
- National prizes: The Grand Prize winner will receive: $5,000.00 cash prize. The 4 Division Finalists will receive: One (1) Apple Inc. Apple Store gift card in the value of $499.00.
- The International favorite (determined during the initial favoriting phase by reader feedback) will receive a signed book by Apartment Therapy's founder Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan.
Frequently Asked Questions
When are submissions due for 2012 Small Cool Contest?
All entries are due by 4/18/12 by 23:59:59 EST.
When are entries posted on Apartment Therapy?
Selected entries will be posted beginning 4/2.
I received confirmation that you received my entry, why wasn't my entry posted?
Our system does not automatically post entries as they are submitted. Our team selects the best entries to post. Not all submissions may be posted due to space limitations and it is up to Apartment Therapy to post the strongest submissions.
How are finalists/winners chosen?
National division finalists and the International favorite are chosen by the readers during the favoriting process and then a final vote will determine the National grand prize winner.
My home was previously featured on Apartment Therapy — am I still eligible to enter the 2012 Small Cool Contest?
Yes, readers previously shared their homes with the community are eligible.
I am getting the 'Too many users at this IP have voted for/favorited this' error message when I try to vote. I am voting from a shared computer network (e.g., a workplace or school) - what can I do to make sure my vote is recorded?
We limit the number of votes that are recorded from a single IP address to prevent attempts at voting multiple times by a single person, which is disallowed by our rules, against the spirit of the contest and, unfortunately, common. It is difficult for us to verify the rare case where many votes from the same IP address are legitimate. To ensure your vote gets counted, we recommend you sign in from a computer on a different network (for example, at home) to vote.
Still have questions?
If you need help or have more questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- TEENY-TINY 400 Square Feet and under
- TINY 600 Square Feet and under (but over 400 Square Feet)
- LITTLE 800 Square Feet and under (but over 600 Square Feet)
- SMALL Under 1,000 Square Feet (but over 800 Square Feet)
- INTERNATIONAL All non-US entries (under 1,000 Square Feet)