Molly's Plenty of Light

Name:

Molly

San Francisco, California

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

It's the perfect size for me, with plenty of light.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

I haven't lived in a studio for a couple of years, so it was hard for me to decide if I should try to keep it open, or to somehow divide spaces. I still haven't really figured that out yet. I also knew I wanted to change things up a bit in this place... And I still haven't quite figured that out yet either. The layout of the room is pretty much your standard studio rectangle so I wanted to make it feel not so standard, but still simple and clean.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (34)

I love that rug.

posted by highondesign on April 24, 2011 at 8:33pm
view highondesign's profile

The daybed and mid century vibe is very cool.

posted by dillonliving on April 22, 2011 at 8:59am
view dillonliving's profile

Oh my. I love this place. I can see you were conservative with your budget (Urban Outfitters, IKEA, maybe Pier 1?) but nothing looks cheap or collegiate. And you managed to make 410 feet seem airy and spacious with careful editing. I'm making this one of my top favorites.

One question? The living room rug, where is it from?

posted by cvgmiami on April 22, 2011 at 9:17am
view cvgmiami's profile

Molly, I live in a studio as well and at one point I had it divided into rooms but then came to realize that I basically used my bed as a living room and that I wanted to be able to enjoy ALL the space I had from that base (including my two cats and two small dogs). I think I get more living space with a wide open space. I guess the question you need to ask yourself is do I need partitions and if so, why?

posted by cvgmiami on April 22, 2011 at 9:19am
view cvgmiami's profile

I love the freshness and openness of your space.

posted by GreenKey on April 22, 2011 at 10:27am
view GreenKey's profile

@cvgmiami - therug is from IKEA

Molly - love the piece you used to to divide your bedroom from your living room. I think it is IKEA, but where did you get the legs?

posted by tande925 on April 22, 2011 at 10:49am
view tande925's profile

Oh, I love shelf divider! It's perfect :)

posted by livingonscreen on April 22, 2011 at 11:05am
view livingonscreen's profile

There's that Ikea rug again...I almost bought it during a recent trip to Minneapolis, and then returned it because I didn't think it was quite right for my house. But it looks so good every time I see it in someone else's space!

Your space does feel simple and clean, and welcoming and comfortable too :)
I really like how that low shelf looks next to the bed. I think it's the perfect divider between the bedroom and the living room.

posted by pheebs79 on April 22, 2011 at 11:29am
view pheebs79's profile

Love the bed space, the kitchen would need some bold colour, some art, some fun.

posted by Allegra M on April 22, 2011 at 11:32am
view Allegra M's profile

very clean, fresh and open. I like it! The kitchen looks like a standard in most apartments, like the idea of adding some art to dress it up. LOVE your place though!

posted by Tracy333 on April 22, 2011 at 11:54am
view Tracy333's profile

i love how you've hung that white curtain beside ur bed and the low-profile shelving room divider - they make ur whole space seem more airy! u've got my vote for 'tiny' category! g'luck!

posted by shannieboop on April 22, 2011 at 12:09pm
view shannieboop's profile

So cute! Thanks for the all the ideas for the studio I'm moving into soon (low shelving unit divider, cute chairs!). And love, love yours cat! Hehe!

posted by owlmug on April 22, 2011 at 1:46pm
view owlmug's profile

Your home looks serene and spotless, and has a relatively gigantic kitchen that's interestingly designed.

posted by Miami Elaine on April 22, 2011 at 2:29pm
view Miami Elaine's profile

Thanks everyone! My budget IS very tight which makes this place one giant fun challenge!

Tande925- the shelving unit is ikea and i bought the legs at my local Ace Hardware. They were like $2 a piece and I just painted them to match.

Good to see no one hates my place yet!

posted by molly k on April 22, 2011 at 2:33pm
view molly k's profile

love your aesthetic! i've just bookmarked this one! well done

posted by formosagirl on April 22, 2011 at 6:14pm
view formosagirl's profile

I usually don't like the too-oft used Ikea shelf as a divider, but the low-level one works nicely here as a space transition instead of as a masking solution. Did you add peg legs to it? Also, how do you like your UO sofa?

posted by analogdialog on April 22, 2011 at 7:41pm
view analogdialog's profile

I love how you have the shelf next to the bed like that, interesting look!

posted by Nej2 on April 22, 2011 at 8:37pm
view Nej2's profile

Well done, it looks light and airy and so comfortable. Also like the dividing shelf and what you have done with it.

posted by sassy c on April 22, 2011 at 9:03pm
view sassy c's profile

Wow...very organized,cheerful and creative. Excellent use of space....like the openness with interesting pieces dotted around.

posted by tom kerth on April 22, 2011 at 10:14pm
view tom kerth's profile

How were you able to get the mid-century/Knoll furniture on such a tight budget? I am dying to start my own collection but it's tough without spending a lot!

posted by WhitBoston on April 22, 2011 at 10:27pm
view WhitBoston's profile

love the living room area... the birds and your couch...so simple and perfect. the bedroom area and kitchen seem to have no character in my eyes. will love to see your entry next year.

posted by queenyellowsun on April 23, 2011 at 2:16am
view queenyellowsun's profile

Love the clean simple lines & uncluttered look. Like the way you gave the bedroom privacy by adding the curtain. Very Nice!

posted by lpn on April 22, 2011 at 10:54pm
view lpn's profile

I love how you were able to use the tv stand as a low divider. Brilliant! =)

posted by pier723 on April 23, 2011 at 5:09pm
view pier723's profile

I used to rent an almost identical studio in San Francisco and the walk-in closet was EXACTLY the size of a double mattress, which of course meant you couldn't QUITE put a double bed in there. How many times I wished I could just move that wall a couple of inches...

posted by pz on April 23, 2011 at 2:07am
view pz's profile

I like how clean and crisp everything is and if I came to visit you, I'd bring you a light colored basket for your plant container.

posted by Kate (NC) on April 23, 2011 at 6:58am
view Kate (NC)'s profile

Yes, pz... my closet is the same exact way! Is this your old apt?!
WhitBoston- I've collected things (chairs) over the past 8 years. I do a lot of searching on craigslist and ebay, nothing is new. For example the eames rocker shell was bought on craigslist and the rocker base was bought on ebay. The chair all together ended up being ridiculously cheap.
And thank you all for the comments on my place being clean, I am very anal about "things just laying around." You can call it OCD if you want.

posted by molly k on April 23, 2011 at 1:55pm
view molly k's profile

Art, pops of color, or anything that would make this space less boring, pleeeeease! Clean and airy can still have life...buy a bright pillow or better yet, walk into Jonathan Adler on Fillmore and copy his use of color.

posted by Livin_in_a_1905barn on April 24, 2011 at 12:18am
view Livin_in_a_1905barn's profile

Second. Clean is lovely but it seems a bit bare. I think a lovely picture or two would add some warmth.

Love your place, love the cats!

posted by PattyD on April 24, 2011 at 2:08am
view PattyD's profile

colour of your cats and flats is very suitable to each other :)) Love your style and vote you!

posted by burcuayaz1 on April 24, 2011 at 7:10am
view burcuayaz1's profile

thank you, burcuayaz1! the color of the cats were not intentional, i swear!

posted by molly k on April 25, 2011 at 12:52am
view molly k's profile

The kitchen looks empty and like nobody ever uses it, but otherwise nice place. Good solution for bed

posted by saucefiend on April 25, 2011 at 7:57am
view saucefiend's profile

minimal! love it:)

posted by ticca on April 27, 2011 at 2:03pm
view ticca's profile

You are correct, saucefiend, i'm not a big cook so the kitchen is pretty empty. It's something I'm working on :)

posted by molly k on April 27, 2011 at 3:15pm
view molly k's profile

love!

posted by monicas on December 19, 2011 at 12:06am
view monicas's profile