Aaron's Out in the Open

Name:

Aaron

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

If I put something behind a door, I forget about it. So virtually everything I own is out in the open (which dovetails nicely with the fact that I have almost no closet space). Finding a place for everything has been a challenge, but also the most rewarding part of putting this apartment together.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Having absolutely no design background (while desperately aspiring for a well designed apartment) has been tough. Also, most apartments this size are studios. Mine is 4 small rooms. Squeezing maximum function out the space has been my biggest challenge.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (48)

Love the shower curtain, where do I find one? Charming space, love it.

posted by S.J.P. on April 14, 2011 at 4:26pm
view S.J.P.'s profile

This is my absolutely favorite apartment so far. What a sweet space. Love it!

posted by brianmason on April 14, 2011 at 8:51pm
view brianmason's profile

Thanks Layla! The shower curtain is from: http://www.izolashower.com/pelounshcu.html

posted by eise0100 on April 16, 2011 at 2:23pm
view eise0100's profile

Nice job. I've always had the out of sight, out of mind problem. Thanks for showing me a great way to deal with it.

posted by Kacie3 on April 14, 2011 at 11:51pm
view Kacie3's profile

Aaron, for someone who has no design background, your place is amazing! I applaud you.

posted by Otilly on April 14, 2011 at 9:31am
view Otilly's profile

That dark blue color reads wonderfully in pictures. It's truly stunning. Any idea of the name and number of the color?

posted by Terry3 on April 14, 2011 at 10:15am
view Terry3's profile

It's a dark gray, behr ultra, "antique tin" UL260-21

posted by eise0100 on April 14, 2011 at 10:43am
view eise0100's profile

This is great! I love the chair and the plants in the old crate :)

posted by maechevrette on April 14, 2011 at 10:44am
view maechevrette's profile

love the pops of orange.

posted by teresadelizo on April 14, 2011 at 12:12pm
view teresadelizo's profile

Thanks S.J.P. Shower Curtain:

http://www.izolashower.com/pelounshcu.html

I think another entry also had a subway map shower curtain...

posted by eise0100 on April 14, 2011 at 4:34pm
view eise0100's profile

Love this space and love seeing a fellow Minneapolitan on AT!

posted by truhle on April 14, 2011 at 8:19pm
view truhle's profile

Love your bedspread! Where did you get it?

posted by mlme on April 14, 2011 at 8:31pm
view mlme's profile

Nice job - did you stash stuff for the photos or do you really have that much empty space on the kitchen shelves?

Too bad about those cabinets - a rental?

posted by ts on April 14, 2011 at 8:37pm
view ts's profile

@Truhle: Douglas and Hennepin!

@mime: Target :). It's a thin woolrich down blanket.

posted by eise0100 on April 14, 2011 at 8:41pm
view eise0100's profile

@ts: Nothing stashed, but yeah, the cabinets are unbearable.

posted by eise0100 on April 14, 2011 at 8:59pm
view eise0100's profile

You may not have design background but you do have an eye for it. I love how you've found a designated spot for everything--even your shoes!

posted by nowherenow on April 14, 2011 at 9:47pm
view nowherenow's profile

Nice spot!! Love how you stored your bike, what did you use to hang it??

posted by amymendizabal on April 14, 2011 at 9:52pm
view amymendizabal's profile

@amy. Thanks for asking, because: NOTHING. It's nestled accessibly between the expedit and the wall, leaning on the pipe and kept in place on the floor by the radiator valve. I put a LOT of holes in the wall before I looked at the corner and had that epiphany.

posted by eise0100 on April 14, 2011 at 10:04pm
view eise0100's profile

I am really inspired by what you said about finding a place for everything but, out in the open. I think this might help me with my ADHD. Thanks and great job on your place!

posted by OggDefying on April 14, 2011 at 10:50pm
view OggDefying's profile

I also love the subway shower curtain. Thumbs up for a good job in a difficult space.

posted by RocketScientist on April 15, 2011 at 12:00am
view RocketScientist's profile

GREAT place... really love the orange and grey!

posted by nomadchicky on April 15, 2011 at 12:16am
view nomadchicky's profile

I love this gray color. My husband caved to gray but insisted on Valspar paint, so we got "Vessel Gray" 4005-2A. I've had it for awhile, and your photos make me want to just drop everything and finally get it done. Beautiful. Wonderful use of space, too. Thanks for the inspiration.

posted by wordgirl on April 15, 2011 at 12:31am
view wordgirl's profile

The shoes tucked underneath your Tylosand actually look like artwork. Nice job.

posted by rajaune on April 15, 2011 at 12:37am
view rajaune's profile

This is a sweet apartment. I love everything from the layout to the stuff you have. It seems to function very well - despite the size. It makes me think that we could downsize and make it work!

I also love your colors and the distinct spaces that still flow together.

Definitely my favorite.

posted by HandmadeKatie on April 15, 2011 at 1:38am
view HandmadeKatie's profile

Beautiful place. It is not overcrowded with furniture and has airy vibe.
I also love it because in my own place I used orange colour to brighten up the place and recently i decided to buy shower curtain such as this. It came as a really pleasant surprise seeing the last picture of this apartment and knowing that I'm not the only one who loves the idea of it.
The best part is the way the bed is positioned. Creative and looks great.

posted by Mori on April 15, 2011 at 4:49am
view Mori's profile

Beautiful space. I love your use of color, with pops of orange and red against the soothing grey.. The way you stopped the grey behind the couch and emphasized your art is great. The pile of books on the radiator kind of makes me scared for the bottom book, though. Also, what a strange kitchen layout. How unfortunate.

posted by Gaidig on April 15, 2011 at 6:08am
view Gaidig's profile

"K!"
is what I thought when I saw the Radio K magnet on the fridge! (hee, hee--fellow Minneapolitan)
Love your place! I wish I could be as efficient with the space I have.

posted by 1stnest on April 15, 2011 at 7:39am
view 1stnest's profile

@Giadig: Live dangerously, sleep dangerously ;) In the winter the books sit on my shelf below the guitar. The kitchen is terrible. But considering my rent, great management company, and amazing location... I'll take it.

posted by eise0100 on April 15, 2011 at 11:03am
view eise0100's profile

I love the hockey stick coat rack! Did you put that together yourself?

posted by HannieB on April 15, 2011 at 12:10pm
view HannieB's profile

@Hannie: I won it, actually, at a middle school mixer when I was 13 (!!). But hey, if the shoe still fits...

posted by eise0100 on April 15, 2011 at 1:17pm
view eise0100's profile

I love the chair in your living room? Where did you get it? Is that a slip cover, or what?

posted by Jaymie__ on April 15, 2011 at 2:52pm
view Jaymie__'s profile

@Jaymie:

It's a chair by Alphaville-- they have a whole assortment of furniture in this style that can be mixed and matched. And for the record, you can get it a lot cheaper through other channels.

http://www.alphavilledirect.com/alphaville-downlow-chair.html

posted by eise0100 on April 15, 2011 at 4:40pm
view eise0100's profile

Who needs a design background when one has such amazing taste!

posted by r2b2 on April 15, 2011 at 11:53pm
view r2b2's profile

love your space !!

posted by JulianneMay on April 16, 2011 at 1:27am
view JulianneMay's profile

Love the maps in your toilet/bathroom! :) What a clever idea! haha.. Where did you get that curtain (or was it DIY) and which city is it of?
Great use of color & design! (I'm not a fan of grey, but even grey looks kinda.. nice here!!)
I hear you on the kitchen, the poster is lovely and great use of dark blue color!

posted by iLayla on April 16, 2011 at 9:58am
view iLayla's profile

Love your apartment... the shelve in the 3rd pict, the hockey sticks.... but what about the coffee table: where it comes from? Love the hairpin legs.

posted by mp-mtl on April 16, 2011 at 10:35pm
view mp-mtl's profile

@mp-mtl: Thanks for the kind words! The hairpin legs are from ianmaclean.com. The coffee table top, as you may have guessed, is IKEA lack

posted by eise0100 on April 17, 2011 at 12:18pm
view eise0100's profile

Aaron: yeah that's what I thought about the hack. Thanks for the hairpin legs' cue. I'll probably do the same!

posted by mp-mtl on April 17, 2011 at 12:42pm
view mp-mtl's profile

If I could, I'd vote for it twice!

posted by Holly14 on April 18, 2011 at 2:48pm
view Holly14's profile

Fantastic job, clean and stylish.

@iLayla: The shower curtain is a map of the London Underground.

posted by cynzylla on April 18, 2011 at 4:47pm
view cynzylla's profile

Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys. I wish I could share the positive changes I've made since I took these photos! In any event, I'm going to use these comments as motivation to clean the apartment this evening...

posted by eise0100 on April 18, 2011 at 6:25pm
view eise0100's profile

Love the use of speaker stands as plants stands instead. Cool space.

posted by warlesha21 on April 20, 2011 at 8:32pm
view warlesha21's profile

Very cool room. I love the use of color!!

posted by MSJNT on April 21, 2011 at 3:29am
view MSJNT's profile

I waited for all the entries to come in before I posted my comments about some of the apartments featured here. I'm always amazed how some of these apartments make the cut, I noticed you said you had no design back ground and it clearly shows. This apartment is by know way hideous, but it looks very "collegey" for lack of a better word. The bed pushed in the corner, the orange bean baggish chair, the shoes under the sofa (@rajaune—no that's not art!), the over usage of IKEA shelving and that dreadful kitchen! please for the love of God take that stool from atop the fridge—Yikes! I think you would have been better off just leaving the kitchen to our imaginations. What I DO like is your paint color, nice. Also great job on the floor plan image, maybe graphic design should be your passion.

posted by scandesign on April 22, 2011 at 4:44am
view scandesign's profile

@scandesign, thanks for having the guts to speak your mind. I dish it out plenty and I can take it. Frankly, I felt the same as you about my apartment (too collegey, ugly kitchen, too much ikea-- and actually, I hate the dark gray walls) but I saw so many apartments posted that were below mine, I figured I'd enter. When it was accepted, I asked AT to let me use different photos, but its against contest policy. And as for the stool on the fridge, I'm way ahead of you....

posted by eise0100 on April 22, 2011 at 10:01pm
view eise0100's profile

Love your apartment.

posted by vevev on April 23, 2011 at 11:32am
view vevev's profile

Okay. I wish everyone would stop ragging on Ikea. I love that place. Not everybody can afford high end designer furniture or even quality vintage. Also, love the way people display their bicycles like sculptures. Makes me miss mine.

posted by Sonje on April 29, 2011 at 12:21am
view Sonje's profile

Not only is Aaron a natural with design, but IKEA also has the cheapest knackebrod and tealights in the Twin Cities. So there. ;)

posted by zimmerwoman on April 29, 2011 at 12:39am
view zimmerwoman's profile