Leslie's Little Loft

Name:

Leslie

New York, New York

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

We love the loft spaces in the apartment for two reasons - they provide an amount of storage otherwise unheard of in most NYC studio apartments, and they also keep the main part of the apartment - where we live - minimal enough and airy, so the apartment looks and feels remarkably uncramped for two people. The brick walls and interesting scalloped/wave-like ceiling give a lot of character to this rental. We love the beach, so if you squint hard (and maybe pull one of the surfboards out from the loft storage), the apartment can feel a little bit like a beach bungalow in the city.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Lighting was an issue, since we're in the back of the building and only have the patio windows for natural light. We had to think smart about colors and furniture choices to keep the place from feeling like a dungeon.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (38)

Brick exposed, white couch, book shelves as divider, totally my style. Love it!

posted by Ofelia on April 15, 2011 at 1:41am
view Ofelia's profile

This place looks soooo cool. I can't believe it has so much storage. That's amazing. I also love the exposed brick and the little outdoor patio. The driftwood adds a mellow vibe as well.

You have great taste, Leslie!

posted by cedpvd on April 14, 2011 at 9:16am
view cedpvd's profile

This place is awesome! So Cute. You've really utilized the space well. I also love how comfortable everything looks, very livable.

posted by msladyny on April 14, 2011 at 10:14am
view msladyny's profile

Very nice, Leslie! I especially like the wavy ceiling, your cute little window seat, and your "tranquility inspiring" bedside lamp.

posted by Honore on April 14, 2011 at 10:44am
view Honore's profile

I love everything about your space! The way you separated your bed area from your living area is great-- the open shelving looks like it gives privacy without putting your bed in a cave. The little window seat/balcony is amazing too... and I just saw your ceiling, ha! That is so cool. Great work!

posted by maechevrette on April 14, 2011 at 12:07pm
view maechevrette's profile

I love the walls and the bedroom space, but doesn't the high shelving steal off some precious light ? The surfboards could add some of this beach bungalow feel to the entryway if ever you chose to use the sleeping loft as a sleeping loft.

posted by Allegra M on April 14, 2011 at 2:14pm
view Allegra M's profile

I am in love with your place. Where is the coffee table from?

posted by pier723 on April 14, 2011 at 2:37pm
view pier723's profile

ahh, and i just saw those wheels under your bookcase/divider. brilliant!

posted by pier723 on April 14, 2011 at 2:38pm
view pier723's profile

brilliant use of the space. what a sweet little balcony!

posted by sweethomesweet on April 14, 2011 at 7:28pm
view sweethomesweet's profile

So smart! Whenever I see a long narrow new york lofted studio, they always seem to put the bed in the loft but I prefer what you've done here.

I also like everything put away so sleeping and living areas can be more sparse.

Very sweet space.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 14, 2011 at 7:52pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

I have done the same thing with my loft...used it as storage. Isn't that balcony a fire escape though? Just confused...

posted by delg23 on April 14, 2011 at 8:00pm
view delg23's profile

Very warm and pretty. Not at all the cold loft-space vibe I'm used to. Nicely done. Love the subtlety of the colors as well.

posted by Emmi on April 14, 2011 at 8:38pm
view Emmi's profile

you are literally living in my dream apt. What neighborhood are you living in? I am looking in a new apt in the city for june 1.

posted by bianca4865 on April 14, 2011 at 9:11pm
view bianca4865's profile

love love love the bookshelf as a room divider!

posted by Rae N on April 14, 2011 at 10:37pm
view Rae N's profile

Tee hee, I lol'd at your diagram. What a fun little space. I love the little patio sort of area. So cute.

posted by MsPface on April 14, 2011 at 11:05pm
view MsPface's profile

Looks great in all pictures except the second, where it looks kind of cluttered...think I would have used the loft for sleeping

posted by saucefiend on April 15, 2011 at 3:57am
view saucefiend's profile

I agree with saucefiend that the second photo looks kind of cluttered; I think it is the series of surfaces right next to each other (table, desk, radiator cover) that are all similar but different heights and different colors.

Also, you should definitely take your surfboards out of storage and hang them on the wall. Maybe on the wall near your front door? Your high ceilings are just begging for huge art, and they could serve well.

Your space seems quite open in general, but it does seem like you're losing living space by using your loft for storage rather than sleeping. On the other hand, I understand not wanting to stumble down from there on midnight bathroom breaks. If the ceiling is as high as it seems like it is, you could put a curtain around part of it for storage and use the rest as an office area.

posted by Gaidig on April 15, 2011 at 5:58am
view Gaidig's profile

Yes, please what neighborhood? I'm looking to move with my husband in August, and we're looking for exactly what you guys have! Love it.

posted by Ivonne P. on April 15, 2011 at 8:15am
view Ivonne P.'s profile

Oh, I miss living in New York! And too I would display the surfboards, how cool! But the 4th picture is actually a fire escape, no? I used to hang out on mine too and climb up to the roof. Sigh.

posted by poolie on April 15, 2011 at 8:30am
view poolie's profile

this is super cool but I would shift everything around so when you're watching tv you face the brick wall rather than sitting against it; it's so great the huge white wall is a disappointment by comparison. Agree surfboards displayed would be nicer.

posted by ec05 on April 15, 2011 at 9:10am
view ec05's profile

Is that an Expedit that you put wheels on? GENIUS!

posted by SDazzle on April 15, 2011 at 9:28am
view SDazzle's profile

Love it! I keep seeing these the nosey side of me is dying to know what rents are like and which neighborhoods these homes are in. Am I the only one dying to know those details?

posted by ellearRVA on April 15, 2011 at 10:09am
view ellearRVA's profile

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great comments! The bookshelf is not actually Expidit. I inherited it from an old roommate - I'll have to see if I can figure out where it's from. The coffee table is IKEA however, the style is called Hemnes.

Love the hanging-the-surfboards idea. Uusually we keep them in their bags to protect them, but we might want to rethink it!

The patio is in fact a patio, and the fire escape is out there as well. It's sort of shared with my neighbor to the left, but she has a wooden partition up to give us both some privacy.

Love the comments - keep em coming!

posted by Leslie Brennan on April 15, 2011 at 10:52am
view Leslie Brennan's profile

Fantastic!!!

http://decorationapartment20.blogspot.com/

posted by ddelcura on April 16, 2011 at 11:44am
view ddelcura's profile

Exposed brick wall is so wonderful! It's a great place! The coffee table, to me, seems tad big, though.

posted by owlmug on April 16, 2011 at 2:47pm
view owlmug's profile

What caught my eye was your cute dining spot -- just big enough! Clever use of space!

posted by SherryBinNH on April 16, 2011 at 1:41pm
view SherryBinNH's profile

Love the space.

Where did you get that small table in the hallway underneath the lime green poster? I have a Very small entryway and have been looking for a small console table like that for ages.

posted by jpscully on April 16, 2011 at 11:27pm
view jpscully's profile

jpscully, the console is from the designer called TRUECONNECTION on Etsy. We love it!

posted by Leslie Brennan on April 18, 2011 at 2:53pm

your house is so small! but you made it looks great!

posted by jacobshwartz324 on April 18, 2011 at 4:04pm
view jacobshwartz324's profile

I love your place Leslie and I really really hope that I can see it in person when I'm in town in a few months! : ) XOXOX

posted by lanla on April 18, 2011 at 10:06pm
view lanla's profile

Seconding the genius use of casters on your Expedit!

posted by ohkatie on April 21, 2011 at 1:49am
view ohkatie's profile

A donkey could fit in here with the way space is so well utilized. Well done, Leslie!

posted by dlMoney on April 21, 2011 at 2:53pm
view dlMoney's profile

really nice, clean job. I need to do something similar with a drop leaf or shelf. where did you get the stools? thx!

posted by pkpk on April 28, 2011 at 6:17pm
view pkpk's profile

Thank you! They're from CB2, but I just checked the site and they don't seem to be selling it anymore. They have some other great styles though!

posted by Leslie Brennan on April 29, 2011 at 12:05pm

Is this apartment on the upper east side, if so I'm pretty sure I looked at it (or at least one in the same building). Looks great!

posted by mk626 on April 29, 2011 at 2:32pm
view mk626's profile

lovely space!

posted by artist girl on May 11, 2011 at 11:40am
view artist girl's profile

Love the exposed brick wall...makes the place seem bigger. Your balcony is FABULOUS

posted by Debbie Chap on June 26, 2011 at 4:24pm
view Debbie Chap's profile

Of course it's lovely like this. But have you tried lofting the bed and opening the space? I love my little private loft space. I was so excited not to have to look at my packing crates. Wouldn't some of the stuff in your boxes fit in a funky old trunk or clever bench-type storage? I think it would be wonderful to celebrate your hobbies more beach, surfboards (hung or maybe used as bookshelves? with something covering the waxy bit... or mounted onto a sliding door to hide that nasty TV). A little indoor/outdoor rug or some funky astroturf would give the patio a pop of color.

posted by MunichMom on January 6, 2012 at 8:08am
view MunichMom's profile