Heidi's Every Inch Counts

Name:

Heidi

Chicago, Illinois

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

Every inch of this space is utilized. I feel like I live in a luxury hotel with an amazing home office and over 20 linear feet of closet space. What more could I ask for? I want for nothing.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

I moved here from a much larger space to start my life over. Editing my possessions down was challenging at first. In the end, I have less stuff and more life...I am free and happy.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (90)

I love everything about this space. Perfection!!

posted by Shang on April 6, 2011 at 5:18pm
view Shang's profile

Very nice, not sure about the candles above the bed though.

posted by bhanson1299 on April 7, 2011 at 5:20pm
view bhanson1299's profile

I like the contrast of the red wall on the home office. Which by the way is fantastically organised.

Your duvet cover is very nice, where did you get it from?

Also, your bathroom seems to be rather large, you're lucky if that's the case :)

posted by hotpaprika on April 6, 2011 at 9:25am
view hotpaprika's profile

THANK YOU! @applebomb and @hotpaprika...

The duvet cover is from Pottery Barn. It is all linen and was on sale for $80 for a queen. I found it in their stores a few months ago. I hope that helps!

And yes, the bathroom is bigger than my home office. I can't complain.

Thanks again!

posted by Polished Life on April 6, 2011 at 9:39am
view Polished Life's profile

I love the dramatic color and contrast... gorgeous space!

posted by Jen F. on April 6, 2011 at 10:02am
view Jen F.'s profile

This is my favorite entry so far! Every space feels sophisticated and just enough.

posted by knitsmcgee on April 6, 2011 at 8:54pm
view knitsmcgee's profile

Your space is so ... sexy!
It's great, and I adore that you left the cabinet doors open in your "office" to break up the space and give it the feel of isolation from the rest of your home!
BRAVO!

posted by applebomb on April 6, 2011 at 8:56am
view applebomb's profile

Your wall colors really contribute to the feeling of elegance! I'm dying not only to see more pictures, like of the balcony and how you organize your closet, but also to hear more about the process of downsizing your possessions! Congratulations on a beautiful home.

One thing I would so love is if society would stop thinking everything has to be made into a contest. From the time children are really little, they're taught their creativity is "better" or, in most cases, "worse" than others'. I see little value and much harm in that habit.

That said, still, this is one of the small,cool's that I've enjoyed the most!

posted by Annie-O on April 6, 2011 at 11:00am
view Annie-O's profile

Beautiful! I'm really jealous of your bathroom; very sexy. Very good planning for the space throughout; impressive. Very nice!

posted by RMF325 on April 6, 2011 at 11:39am
view RMF325's profile

Great space. Amazing that it's small and with some darker colored walls and yet it feels luxurious and not cramped. I don't know if it's always like that or just for the contest but the lack of clutter of stuff is refreshing. Love the bathroom!!!

posted by lenzai on April 6, 2011 at 11:43am
view lenzai's profile

Wow! Beautifully put together. I love the dramatic wall color.

posted by Kacie3 on April 6, 2011 at 12:45pm
view Kacie3's profile

Fantastice

posted by ellepebe on April 6, 2011 at 1:02pm
view ellepebe's profile

what a wonderful space! I missed out on being able to decorate my studio when I had the chance.. I bow down madame

posted by missmae11411 on April 6, 2011 at 1:14pm
view missmae11411's profile

Fantastic colour choice!
Absolutely gorgeous!

posted by diridi on April 6, 2011 at 1:18pm
view diridi's profile

OOOO! Please tell where you got the office modules and what the name of the bathroom paint is.

posted by kelleyk on April 6, 2011 at 2:43pm
view kelleyk's profile

amazing! Where did you get the slip cover for your sofa?

posted by Usagi on April 6, 2011 at 3:03pm
view Usagi's profile

the office is so smart....and i love your color choisces....especially in the bathroom....nice work

posted by tdawg on April 6, 2011 at 3:20pm
view tdawg's profile

THANK YOU for spreading the love, you are all too kind and I really appreciate your comments and good energy!

@ Annie-O...I totally agree. Brilliant comment. Design is personal. It's about doing what makes your own heart sing, and there are no right or wrong answers. That being said, I entered the contest to (hopefully) inspire someone to love the space they have right now. And that more stuff doesn't equal more happiness. If I've done that, I've won.

@lenzai...it really is like this all the time. I don't own anything anymore that isn't really useful or really beautiful. It's amazing what we can happily live without!

@missmae11411...it's never too late. "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" my favorite quote from T. Roosevelt. I hope you are loving your new space too.

@kelleyk...the office came from "Closet Works" in Chicago. I didn't know the closet companies now do home offices too, but I was pleasantly surprised!

The bathroom paint is: Benjamin Moore Chelsea Gray HC-168 One of my favorites too!

@usagi- the sofa I have had for 10 years and the brand is Mitchell Gold. I called the company gave them the model #, ordered it and it looks brand new for next to nothing! Slipcover are the best for changing a look cheaply!

With gratitude,
Heidi

posted by Polished Life on April 6, 2011 at 3:33pm

I adore the dark walls with the white pops of your furniture. Beautiful and dreamy. Good luck.

posted by robertspeg on April 6, 2011 at 6:23pm
view robertspeg's profile

Your place makes me smile! :) You've done an amazing job and I thank you for giving us such great inspiration! Please share what 3 paint colors you used in your living area..

posted by Xenia1 on April 6, 2011 at 7:51pm
view Xenia1's profile

great space!!!

posted by GregPGH on April 6, 2011 at 8:25pm
view GregPGH's profile

What an amazing use of space! Genius!

posted by jennieyuhja on April 6, 2011 at 8:25pm
view jennieyuhja's profile

OMG! OMG! OMG! Love your space so so much. You have managed the not so easy task of using every available space along your perimeter but still maintaining a very spacious, uncluttered feel. You have a much more spacious bathroom, living room and office space than I do at 800 sq ft (of course, mine includes a gigantic kitchen island but I digress).

I could live there and be quite happy.

I too am living in a much smaller space after my divorce (went from a 2 story 2000+ house to an <800 addition to my family's house) and am much more content with big living in a small space.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 6, 2011 at 8:45pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

I love the layout. I wish more condos had the long, thin open kitchen.

The office space is absolutely darling.

Fabulous all over. Thumbs up.

posted by RocketScientist on April 6, 2011 at 8:48pm
view RocketScientist's profile

just gorgeous! i would love dramatic wall color to set my white furniture against, but since i'm planning to put my place on the market one of these days, white it is...

posted by valentino1 on April 6, 2011 at 8:51pm
view valentino1's profile

Yay, red! Love the stark contrast the white creates; it also ties the rooms together nicely.

posted by ccahillmn on April 6, 2011 at 9:55pm
view ccahillmn's profile

Oh my goodness. Totally gorgeous! And frankly I love your narrative as much as your decor. Proclaiming that you want for nothing and are free and happy in your new life earns you my vote! Good luck to you!

posted by kellykat0 on April 6, 2011 at 10:05pm
view kellykat0's profile

I totally agree with kellykat0: not only do I love the actual apartment itself, but also, your philosophical orientation toward life itself. Kudos to you for seeing what matters most in life as and for creating a living space that nurtures that feeling! Your apartment is what mine wants to be when it grows up! :)

posted by naijagirl on April 6, 2011 at 10:20pm
view naijagirl's profile

Heidi,
Thank you for sharing with us your elegant and breathtakingly beautiful home. Love your eye for color, simplicity and truly amazing sense of style.
I haven't had time to see many of the other entries this year yet, but based on viewing experience from past years, I believe you've already won.
You mentioned you feel as if you live in a luxury hotel. Which hotel features inspired you the most?

posted by gekko on April 7, 2011 at 3:15am
view gekko's profile

I literally signed up to vote for you! I don't think I have ever seen something as small/cool as this on AT.

One of the rare cases where I think it looks good AND would probably feel comfortable actually living in it. It is usually one or the other.

Another plus for being from Chicago! :)

Great job and hope you win!

posted by j808 on April 7, 2011 at 3:25am
view j808's profile

Wish there was a better image of your view!

I've gotta think that a space like this wouldn't come together so well without the bright, airy cityscape behind it.

posted by akay on April 7, 2011 at 11:03am
view akay's profile

I love your place! I have saved down pictures for decorating as I am moving to a small apartment soon. One question - you TV is mounted on the wall, where did you put the cable box / DVD player?

posted by CaseyNYC on April 7, 2011 at 9:14am
view CaseyNYC's profile

this is very nice. did you hang the televison yourself?

posted by sharp_jeremy on April 7, 2011 at 9:55am
view sharp_jeremy's profile

This is a wonderful place. I love the contrast of dark and light--it really does give the place a luxury feel. This place is just beautiful. You've done a wonderful job!

posted by Jessica Jeanne on April 7, 2011 at 10:51am
view Jessica Jeanne's profile

Oh. My. God. LOVE!

posted by jayhawk_luvDW on April 7, 2011 at 11:26am
view jayhawk_luvDW's profile

I'm intrigued by the walls in this apartment - I'm really curious about the flow in person. In the photo the living room seems a little crammed, but with the balcony there (and the bedroom open around the corner) I'm thinking it might not actually feel that way. There's a kind of "TV set" feel, from what I can discern, which the gorgeous set-like decor plays up.

posted by Britomart on April 7, 2011 at 11:38am
view Britomart's profile

I think yours is my favorite so far! Gorgeous

posted by LauraInCancun on April 7, 2011 at 12:37pm
view LauraInCancun's profile

I thought the toilet paper holder was rad! Where do I get one of those?

posted by Juice Box on April 7, 2011 at 12:29pm
view Juice Box's profile

Really luxurious looking space. Very brave with the dark colors and well put together!

posted by kcr on April 7, 2011 at 12:37pm
view kcr's profile

IT'S HEIDI...and I am totally overwhelmed by all of your generosity. You have already made this a great experience, and I thank you!
@Xenia..your comment made me smile too.
Here are the paint colors:
Benjamin Moore- Bittersweet Chocolate 2214-10 (the dark brown)
Benjamin Moore- Smokey Taupe 983
Martha Stewart at Home Depot- Vermillion MSL054 (the red in the office nook)
Benjamin Moore- Chelsea Gray HC-168 (in the bathroom)
@mauishopgirl....I LOVE your comment "living big in a small space"...it's brilliant. This is my post-divorce space also, and Im so happy that you have found the same peace with less. It warms my heart- all the best for you.
@gekko Actually my inspiration was the childrens book "Eloise" (written in th 50's), it's about a mischiveous girl that lives at the Plaza in NYC. It was more of an emotional inspiration than a design one for me. I felt like it was time for me to experience more of what life was really all about, instead of working so hard just to acquire things. I LIVE more now than I did before. Times are so tough right now. People are losing their jobs and homes, getting divorced, etc... and feeling bad about what they "losing" or don't have. I just wanted to show what you are gaining by living well with less.

@j808- Wow. That is a lot of effort just to vote for me. That means alot to me! thanks.

@caseyNYC and @ sharp_jeremy. There is closet right behind the TV, so all the cables, etc.. are in that closet and I have an infrared remote control that goes through the wall. They limit us to 5 photos, but since there are so many questions, I will be posting photos of that closet, the balcony/view, etc...on my blog and I'll post link back here soon. I actually had my ex-husband hang the TV for me. We are great friends and he is handy, so he installed the electronics to help me out! Very sweet of him.

@ JuiceBox..omg love your username! The bath accessories are all from West Elm. They are wood and metal and kind of modern/masculine which I loved too.

@Shang, @robertspeg ,@GregPGH, @jennieyuhja, @RocketScientist @valentino1 , @knitsmcgee , @Klaus Sonnenleiter , @ccahillmn ,@kellykat0 , @naijagirl, @Blandwagon , @Jessica Jeanne , @akay , @jayhawk_luvDW , @Britomart , @LauraInCancun, @kcr...you all took time out of your own life to share your kind words with me, and I just wanted you to know that I appreciated it.

Heidi

posted by Polished Life on April 7, 2011 at 1:26pm

I have been reading AT for months and have never registered...I don't usually for any site...but I was compelled to register and post to you because of how fantastic your place looks!

You had me at the first picture when I literally said "this is going to be good" and the rest of the pics did not disappoint.

Beautiful job! I wish I could take some sort of lessons from you!

posted by Beacon on April 7, 2011 at 3:22pm
view Beacon's profile

Magnificent! This would be paradise for me if the chocolate walls were also red.
Love, love, love the office set-up. Thanks for sharing.

posted by Roozter on April 7, 2011 at 5:13pm
view Roozter's profile

Wow! I didn't think I could like brown walls so much - but I do now! Gorgeous, sexy space.

posted by eclectic-chick on April 7, 2011 at 5:16pm
view eclectic-chick's profile

I truly like your sense of gratitude. I sure wish I had your sense of organization! Yet that goes for the best of the small submissions, I suppose. Thanks for sharing.

posted by Knifemouth on April 7, 2011 at 5:29pm
view Knifemouth's profile

Heidi,

Where do you dine? On the sofa and coffee table? I was wondering as I don't see an obvious place to do so.

I LOVE your home, and your enthusiasm and appreciation for all that you have is lovely to hear anytime, but especially in the current economic climate. Best of luck in the contest!

posted by RMF325 on April 7, 2011 at 11:34pm
view RMF325's profile

Wow! This place is amazing! When can I move in? :-P

posted by Kimtastic on April 8, 2011 at 12:13am
view Kimtastic's profile

I really liked how slick your bathroom looked. Do you really keep it like that all the time??

posted by lollybox on April 8, 2011 at 7:40am
view lollybox's profile

Love the bathroom

posted by raylene on April 8, 2011 at 11:21am
view raylene's profile

Rather than comment on this lovely apartment a second time, I want to comment on Heidi's positve attitude and responses to everyone on here. It really warms my heart that you took time to answer questions as well as acknowledge everyone who commented on your home.
I really hope you win as your home is great and you are such a lovely person!

posted by applebomb on April 8, 2011 at 4:16pm
view applebomb's profile

Love it! Where did you get the mirror above the sofa from?

posted by kavita85 on April 9, 2011 at 12:51am
view kavita85's profile

I love your comment about living in a luxury hotel - had my fair share, but nothing looked (or felt) as wonderful as your home.

I'm putting your pictures on my inspiration board (if you don't mind?), and hope that I'll be able to meet you in person someday.

posted by pebblescruz on April 9, 2011 at 8:07am
view pebblescruz's profile

WOW I love this.....

sorry if I missed this but where did you get the office modules from

I voted and logged in just to voite for this

posted by sdoscorpio on April 9, 2011 at 11:37am
view sdoscorpio's profile

Amazing! Love this, especially how great white goes with dark brown.

posted by Victoria Ulanova on April 9, 2011 at 12:52pm
view Victoria Ulanova's profile

So streamlined... I love that! You must be OCD just like me. : )

posted by MandyDavis on April 9, 2011 at 5:09pm
view MandyDavis's profile

I love your place, but I especially love your comment: "I have less stuff and more life." Inspiring.

posted by terrafaith on April 10, 2011 at 12:31pm
view terrafaith's profile

This space is very compact, but you have certainly used every square inch available. Your taste in color are very similar to mine. I really love this space.

Rashon aka Mr. Goodwill Hunting

posted by Mr. Goodwill Hunting on April 10, 2011 at 10:19am
view Mr. Goodwill Hunting's profile

looks fab - but....where do you eat?

posted by llmademoiselle on April 10, 2011 at 2:21pm
view llmademoiselle's profile

Very sophisticated - I'm particularly impressed with how sleek the bathroom is.

posted by martigny on April 10, 2011 at 2:53pm
view martigny's profile

Thank you Heidi for kindly taking the time to tell me the paint colors - Truly appreciated. I hope to see you win!

posted by Xenia1 on April 10, 2011 at 11:04pm
view Xenia1's profile

ADORE the work space!!!

posted by religio on April 11, 2011 at 10:33am
view religio's profile

sophisticated and grown up without being stuffy. i also admire the spirit of living with less and loving it.

posted by katlia on April 11, 2011 at 11:36am
view katlia's profile

If this is living with less, it sure doesn't feel like it! With the colors and textures and sensuality and wonderful lighting (natural and otherwise), the effect is luxurious. Good for you for finding the positive in what can be an emotionally challenging time. Best wishes to you in your gorgeous digs.

posted by citipearl on April 11, 2011 at 1:40pm
view citipearl's profile

GREAT space............truly beautiful!! Love everything here. Will keep checking back to see when you link your blog.

posted by JillStigs on April 11, 2011 at 8:06pm
view JillStigs's profile

That's one sexy bathroom, me oh my. If you asked me to move in, I wouldn't say no lol. What I'm basically saying is that I love your place. Good luck in the contest!

posted by Ty.M4change on April 12, 2011 at 1:54am
view Ty.M4change's profile

wonderful use of space in a beautiful place! Hey, I made a rhyme.

I also love what you say in your description, "In the end, I have less stuff and more life...I am free and happy."

posted by Scotty75 on April 12, 2011 at 5:46am
view Scotty75's profile

You do live in a luxury hotel! Well done!

posted by Midwestdiva on April 12, 2011 at 10:44pm
view Midwestdiva's profile

While Paul's tiny unit is certainly an amazing space for it's size, your space is a place I could truly feel at home in. And, that's why you get my vote as favorite... love, love, love!

posted by ruthinaz on April 13, 2011 at 1:38pm
view ruthinaz's profile

I really like the interesting mix of bold wall colors. It creates a new look for every space, all joined by a common theme.

posted by Miko Love on April 13, 2011 at 1:53pm
view Miko Love's profile

It's such a warm, inviting space...you must be one classy dame lol...I am green with envy!

posted by S.J.P. on April 13, 2011 at 7:27pm
view S.J.P.'s profile

Hi Heidi--this is such a well-curated space. I find myself coming back to it again and again and noticing something new and interesting each time. Would you mind sharing where you found the striped rug in your living room, as well as your bedside table? Thanks!

posted by jenpuggirl on April 13, 2011 at 9:06pm
view jenpuggirl's profile

Love the red office space! so perfect! What is the name of the color you used for your bathroom? I love it!

posted by Sara3271 on April 14, 2011 at 10:30am
view Sara3271's profile

I can't step away from this. So beautiful, so elegant, bold and serene. I love it all!!

posted by petworthdc on April 15, 2011 at 11:37am
view petworthdc's profile

Ahhhhh, how very embracing - almost womb-like - this place is! And Eloise would almost certainly agree that this luscious little gem is a fitting refuge for a "precocious grown-up". Ya did good, Heidi. Can't wait to see the balcony & view shot.

posted by leilanitexas on April 15, 2011 at 7:10pm
view leilanitexas's profile

Fantastic!!!

http://decorationapartment20.blogspot.com/

posted by ddelcura on April 16, 2011 at 11:44am
view ddelcura's profile

Beautiful, sexy, well put-together. You've done a fabulous job with your place! Best of luck to you in this new chapter of your life..

posted by Raeesa on April 16, 2011 at 12:21pm
view Raeesa's profile

Omg! I love this. It looks so cozy an

posted by wendym1 on April 17, 2011 at 10:45am
view wendym1's profile

I am sorry...iPad issues...as I was saying...your place is so classy and it looks cozy...I love it so much. Girl, you nailed it,

posted by wendym1 on April 17, 2011 at 10:47am
view wendym1's profile

perfect!

posted by burcuayaz1 on April 18, 2011 at 6:01am
view burcuayaz1's profile

i agree with "living in luxury hotel.." pity is.. I DONT. WANT. to live 'in a Luxury Hotel'. I want to live in 'lived in',restful,rested spaces.*awkward silence* wellz... I guess thats why people make up phrases "to each its own" for times like these yar. =/ *sheepish*

posted by JulianneMay on April 18, 2011 at 1:24pm
view JulianneMay's profile

I really love your place Heidi! good luck, you have my vote! I love Red wall, and white frames on it! I have it in my own apartmant too (take a look at international entries) . I love white furniture in the living room, yet a bold color of the walls cause of the contrast. and the mirrors.. to cut a long story short -it is darling!

posted by Gorica on April 18, 2011 at 5:28pm
view Gorica's profile

Gorgeous!

posted by Azra Kulasa on April 20, 2011 at 5:43pm
view Azra Kulasa's profile

I trust you found the peace and joy you sought in this beautiful space. And...can I have your bathroom, it's HUGE!

posted by Lisawc15 on April 20, 2011 at 7:38pm
view Lisawc15's profile

I love everything about this apartment. The colors, the mood...the office...it's a fantastic use of space, and I'm so happy to see you are not afraid to use dark colors. When done appropriately it really opens the space up. The palette is exquisite and bold, the organization and space planning is comfortable while efficient. What a great place!

posted by Tim Higbee on April 20, 2011 at 7:38pm
view Tim Higbee's profile

Beautiful! Would you mind sharing where the headboard is from?

posted by summer13 on April 20, 2011 at 9:40pm
view summer13's profile

ME LIKEY!

posted by scandesign on April 22, 2011 at 5:09am
view scandesign's profile

No one lives in a hotel, and it kind of feels as if no one lives here. It is a beautiful apartment, but beautiful like a show house or a catalog page.

posted by Yvette on April 25, 2011 at 6:34pm
view Yvette's profile

Definitely my favorite of all, congratulations, amazing place

posted by adrianaalvarez on April 26, 2011 at 6:35pm
view adrianaalvarez's profile

What a wonderful home. The colors (particularly the color of the bathroom) are fantastic.

I did notice that you did not paint the front door or the wall. Was that deliberate? Personally, I would have painted the door and its frame, along with the wall.

posted by Terry3 on April 27, 2011 at 9:18pm
view Terry3's profile

I loveeee your apartment!! It looks like it belongs on a magazine! I hope they do a house tour because its lovely!

I was wondering where is the coffee table and the mirror in the living room from?

Thank you ahead!!!

P.S: I was reading your blog!! Its Awesome!!! :)

posted by tmilan on May 8, 2011 at 12:36am
view tmilan's profile

One year later...still...STILL LOVE your house!!!!!

posted by wendym1 on April 28, 2012 at 6:59pm
view wendym1's profile