Jay's Small Scale Renovation

Name:

Jay

New York, New York

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love that friends tell me it doesn't feel as small as its (barely) 400 square feet. Having lived in my apartment for several years before I renovated it, I had a strong idea of how I wanted to make the most of the space. I also love that I was able to mix in inexpensive elements (Ikea shelving, closet, for example) that don't look inexpensive.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Choosing small-scale pieces and editing everything down to just what made the most sense without sacrificing the things I loved was tough. I still face the challenge of having to get rid of something anytime something new comes in. (My place was featured in a Home Tour in '09: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/house-tours/house-tour-jays-chelsea-loft-new-york-city-089223 )

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (77)

Truly inspiring renovation - makes me want to gut my 850 sq foot condo! Amazing.

posted by hollywoodgoody on April 12, 2011 at 1:35pm
view hollywoodgoody's profile

THis apartment was amazing the first time it appeared (as a house tour I think). Still brilliant, and makes the expedit look a million dollars....
Let's see the rest but form the this is a winner.

posted by sofialaca on April 5, 2011 at 8:14am
view sofialaca's profile

seen this before i think with better furniture???

posted by Coletta (rhymes with velveeta) on April 5, 2011 at 9:05am
view Coletta (rhymes with velveeta)'s profile

I adore this apartment. In fact, I stole the expedit-as-a-divider-and-headboard idea! LOVE!!

posted by ShanLin73 on April 5, 2011 at 10:11am
view ShanLin73's profile

love it. Looking at it makes me feel reaslly relaxed.

posted by Muesli on April 5, 2011 at 11:26am
view Muesli's profile

Beautiful beautiful beautiful.

posted by azaleasmoke on April 5, 2011 at 11:41am
view azaleasmoke's profile

Looove that kitchen. Very seamless transition into the rest of the space. I'm jealous! :P

posted by kristinb1 on April 5, 2011 at 12:28pm
view kristinb1's profile

Really well done. Wasn't there a beautiful Husky in the house tour pics?

posted by onexnwykr on April 5, 2011 at 12:40pm
view onexnwykr's profile

Kitchen chandelier. Drool!

posted by itsjustgoldie on April 5, 2011 at 12:52pm
view itsjustgoldie's profile

Perfection!
Coletta, I have seen your comments on other blogs before and you must understand that your words sting. Please be kind or refrain from hitting send.

posted by mkuplady on April 5, 2011 at 12:54pm
view mkuplady's profile

I always loved this one!

posted by babyfishmouth on April 5, 2011 at 1:02pm
view babyfishmouth's profile

Yes, I remember this one too. I also remember how people were growling about the huskie didn't have enough space to be a dog.

posted by daylight on April 5, 2011 at 1:19pm
view daylight's profile

delighted to see this apartment in small cool. loved it when I first saw it on AT, still love it. go Jay!

posted by flamingopink on April 5, 2011 at 1:23pm
view flamingopink's profile

This is amazing. Well done!

posted by CanadianMango on April 5, 2011 at 1:26pm
view CanadianMango's profile

Very cute. I really like the bookcase / headboard combination.

posted by martigny on April 5, 2011 at 2:03pm
view martigny's profile

Gorgeous! It really does feel like much more than 400SF.

posted by Ms. Vickie on April 5, 2011 at 2:05pm
view Ms. Vickie's profile

You're lucky that the front door is in the middle of your space - I think it really helps divide it into neat little areas. Elegant, unfussy, uncluttered without looking sterile. Love it. I have to be honest though - the clear shower curtain scares me a little!

posted by MsPface on April 5, 2011 at 2:16pm
view MsPface's profile

I remember looking at your entry a while back and you had posted more photos. I think that you did a great job.
And to MsPface, I love that he used a transparent shower curtain.
It's nice to revisit this entry.

posted by 123jackie on April 5, 2011 at 2:20pm
view 123jackie's profile

btw, that link is dead. % (

posted by 123jackie on April 5, 2011 at 2:22pm
view 123jackie's profile

I really love the headboard/storage/hallway divider combination. I've been looking at a new small studio with a similarly challenging layout, and that's a great idea! It creates a nicely defined entry.

posted by DCGirl33 on April 5, 2011 at 2:29pm
view DCGirl33's profile

Can we talk about that giant vase of flowers (plant?) on top of the desk/cabinet in the living room? Love it. I would imagine it makes that corner feel like a jungle.

posted by cammmit on April 5, 2011 at 3:02pm
view cammmit's profile

I love the choice of the translucent shower curtain--it makes the bathroom look so much bigger.

Lovely throughout!

posted by Allie J on April 5, 2011 at 3:36pm
view Allie J's profile

Beautiful!!

posted by Leslie77 on April 5, 2011 at 3:46pm
view Leslie77's profile

This is fantastic. I love how practical the layout seems to be - the positioning of the TV, for instance, so that it's possible to view it from bed as well as from the couch.

I love that desk - I believe it may be from WS Home - I've had my eye on it for years.

Bravo!

posted by stermag on April 5, 2011 at 4:04pm
view stermag's profile

Aye carumba! The finishes look great in the kitchen and bathroom. Fab job with the overall layout.

posted by RocketScientist on April 5, 2011 at 4:24pm
view RocketScientist's profile

Extremely well done. You'd never guess it was that small. It shows style, but with restraint.

posted by minimalist1 on April 5, 2011 at 5:21pm
view minimalist1's profile

Beautiful! Loved the house tour the first time around.

This space is so well planned - the advantage of living in it for a long time in a less-than-wonderful state, I guess.

posted by emmelemm on April 5, 2011 at 5:40pm
view emmelemm's profile

i love, love, love this! the calm colors, the dividing/storage wall for the bedroom, the furniture placement. and the clear shower curtain is divine. haha! u totally get my vote!

posted by conejitoasesino on April 5, 2011 at 6:25pm
view conejitoasesino's profile

This kitchen is number one. A great layout, but I would like some chairs, just two of those, and a tiny dining table.

posted by Ofelia on April 5, 2011 at 7:26pm
view Ofelia's profile

Inspirational. Fantastic layout, and so clever. Great design. Worthy of a win as it is so well conceived, well executed and beautiful. Love the muted colour of the sofa with the white, so dreamy. WANT.

posted by kitteh on April 5, 2011 at 7:27pm
view kitteh's profile

Wow! This is an airy, lovely home.

posted by IndigoEllen on April 5, 2011 at 7:41pm
view IndigoEllen's profile

I love how you've carved out a "hallway" space using Expedites.

posted by k2yhe on April 6, 2011 at 11:06am
view k2yhe's profile

I'm in love with the kitchen.

posted by chicmodernvintage on April 6, 2011 at 7:34am
view chicmodernvintage's profile

I have more than double the square footage in my own townhouse and it doesn't feel as open and airy as this small gem. Truly inspiring.

posted by ruthinaz on April 6, 2011 at 1:39pm
view ruthinaz's profile

The best things about this place is that it not only looks twice the size since the renovation but more importantly feels twice the size!

posted by CatchyJ on April 6, 2011 at 3:33pm
view CatchyJ's profile

well done!!!

I love the expedit bookshelves stacked like that! how brilliant! I missed your house tour so im glad you entered the contest.

posted by Vintagehoney on April 6, 2011 at 3:42pm
view Vintagehoney's profile

love it love it

posted by ellepebe on April 6, 2011 at 8:38pm
view ellepebe's profile

Beautiful apartment! You transformed a small space into a beautiful home. Amazing!

posted by ahwalker on April 6, 2011 at 8:56pm
view ahwalker's profile

Very sophisticated and beautifully done. I love the kitchen!

posted by junklover on April 6, 2011 at 9:04pm
view junklover's profile

BRILLIANT!!! It is all just so...perfect!

posted by shannont on April 7, 2011 at 10:23am
view shannont's profile

Beautiful job.

Love the white brick. Love the mirror in the kitchen--a lot. Source?

The contrast of the tile in the bathroom with white is just beautiful.

Very creative with the shelving/storage unit creating a hallway near the entrance.

You have a wonderful home. :)

posted by Jessica Jeanne on April 7, 2011 at 11:08am
view Jessica Jeanne's profile

The bathroom is ok, but those first three pictures show a very refined taste and precise placement of everything. I was also admiring the white wood floors-a nice crisp touch, and a little Nantucket. You did well.

posted by Otilly on April 7, 2011 at 1:20pm
view Otilly's profile

I've seen this before; I don't remember where. This is absolutely one of the best renovations I've ever seen. Congratulations!

posted by Terry3 on April 7, 2011 at 7:01pm
view Terry3's profile

this is spectacular. I remembered it immediately. Great creative use of low end furniture for high end look

posted by sarawelder on April 7, 2011 at 11:19pm
view sarawelder's profile

The entryway created by the cabinets adds such a touch of elegance. Yes, it looks not inexpensive! And Ikea + marble + chandelier = wow Perfect display of art and accessories (even the remote). Great update on the typical NYC (Sears kit?) bathroom. Talk about editing -- must have been hard to pick just five photos.

posted by Lilly3 on April 8, 2011 at 2:31am
view Lilly3's profile

The best photo with the Husky is missing!

posted by bettsmunich on April 8, 2011 at 10:38am
view bettsmunich's profile

Warm, inviting, resourceful, elegantly inviting...without trying too hard. love it jay

posted by bangalicious on April 9, 2011 at 1:21am
view bangalicious's profile

So thoughfully organized, great use of space. I don't like tight hallways in small spaces, we're taking ours out! Then again, we have another place where we can put that closet. So bright for so little natural light.

posted by scoutandboo on April 9, 2011 at 2:24pm
view scoutandboo's profile

I love how cozy it seems even with white floors and walls. And the kitchen is just lovely.

posted by blue_eyes on April 9, 2011 at 3:26pm
view blue_eyes's profile

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments. I’m flattered, and happy that some of you remember the tour and my dog, Theo, who sadly just passed away from cancer. I felt weird posting pictures here with him in them, but he’s still in the shots from the house tour.

Thorndale, the chandelier was expensive but not $3k expensive. I’d had my eye on it for a long time and decided it was worth the splurge. (It’s the Eliza chandelier from Jayson Home & Garden.) Sorry, Coletta (rhymes with velveeta), it’s the same furniture as the house tour – I’m going to upgrade the Jennifer sofa, though. She’s served me well for 13 years.

Ofelia, I’d like some chairs and a dining table, too, but there’s just no room. There are stools at the kitchen counter, though.

Jessica, I got the mirror at a now-defunct shop in the Village, but I found it online from several sources. It’s the Ainsworth Round Beveled Wall Mirror by Two's Company.

posted by jayro212 on April 10, 2011 at 10:25am
view jayro212's profile

This apartment is outstanding. It's probably my favorite ever featured and I've been reading since 2007. Sorry to hear about Theo.

posted by designjunkie16207 on April 11, 2011 at 7:39pm
view designjunkie16207's profile

Well thought-out and well exectued. I remember this one from the featured house tour and have always loved the fact that you've managed to fit both a dishwasher AND washer and dryer in your kitchen. Talk about luxuries! Amazing...

posted by sfmelissa on April 12, 2011 at 6:18pm
view sfmelissa's profile

One of my top 3 all-time AT favorites. Brilliant planning & spatial organization, thoughtfully executed & beautifully appointed - like a classic yacht. Heartbreaking to hear about that drop-dead gorgeous dog, But it's also heartwarming to know he had such a wonderful life in such a fantastic home. Small space design just doesn't get any better than this one; it's open & airy yet offers privacy for sleeping, dressing etc. Very happy to be able to vote for this extraordinary little jewel box.

posted by leilanitexas on April 13, 2011 at 10:17am
view leilanitexas's profile

Amazeballs! If those teeny-tiny walls could talk...

posted by Dante Sabatino on April 14, 2011 at 2:59pm
view Dante Sabatino's profile

So sorry about Theo. My sincere condolences.

May I ask whether you had an architect help you? The apartment is just so inspired! Everyone should have such a beautiful place.

posted by Terry3 on April 14, 2011 at 6:41pm
view Terry3's profile

The white floors! The white kitchen! Love, love, love!

posted by Yellow Brick Home on April 14, 2011 at 7:41pm
view Yellow Brick Home's profile

Surely the best apartment in the world? Beautifully done Jay :)

posted by Pipstar on April 14, 2011 at 8:18pm
view Pipstar's profile

Love it!

posted by timsim7 on April 15, 2011 at 2:39am
view timsim7's profile

beautiful space =)

posted by JulianneMay on April 15, 2011 at 9:05am
view JulianneMay's profile

Absolutely the best, and it was your house tour and kind advice Jay that helped me with my own studio reno. going on at that time.

My sincere condolences on the loss of Theo.

posted by joyia on April 15, 2011 at 5:08pm
view joyia's profile

GREAT SPACE! It is my fave so far! I love how it all fits in. LOVE the storage spaces. AMAZING! It's just my style, homey, livable, with classy touches. Esp love your work credenza! Impeccable!

posted by mattNmags on April 15, 2011 at 10:38pm
view mattNmags's profile

I really really love this. Very cool, airy and white. It really looks great. The white paint, for everything, including the floor - really makes it feel bigger. Very nice job. I'm going to take a roller for my floor tomorrow. Any paint recommendation?!

posted by dillonliving on April 16, 2011 at 9:36pm
view dillonliving's profile

Great painted floors. I especially like the tiles in the bathroom. Very nice.

posted by D2 pad on April 16, 2011 at 9:38pm
view D2 pad's profile

Love the airy feel in this small space. The furnishings are proportionate to the space and look very comfortable. I don't know why more people don't paint their floors white, it looks absolutely wonderful here. The only thing that I would do differently would be to somehow camouflage the air conditioner that is sticking out of the wall, front and center.

posted by the copland on April 17, 2011 at 3:50pm
view the copland's profile

Superb. As efficient, tidy and handsome as the interior of a sailboat.

And, I love how the bed was shoe-horned into the space, set off and private, without losing any sense of airiness. This is how a tiny space should be done. Congratulations.

posted by aychihuahua on April 17, 2011 at 5:27pm
view aychihuahua's profile

So sorry to hear about Theo. I remember those gorgeous eyes, just as clearly as I remember this gorgeous apartment.

posted by bettsmunich on April 18, 2011 at 5:33am
view bettsmunich's profile

It's very sophisticated, which can be a challenge sometimes with small spaces, conservative budgets and our Swedish overlord, IKEA.

I want to like the clear shower curtain - can you tell me why you chose it? Does it give you more visual room? I have a cluttered shower (I'm a girl!) so maybe that's why i have an aversion to it.

I bet Theo loved this space.

posted by cvgmiami on April 19, 2011 at 7:14pm
view cvgmiami's profile

Lovely. I like how you've used the Ikea shelves and I love your bathroom. Your place may be small, but it's cool and cozy.

posted by tornadoZ on April 21, 2011 at 5:09pm
view tornadoZ's profile

BRAVO!

posted by scandesign on April 22, 2011 at 4:49am
view scandesign's profile

love everything about it!

posted by griffy on April 24, 2011 at 1:01pm
view griffy's profile

I NEED to know where you purchased the "Love Ball" artwork over the bed!?! PLEASE. Just saw your full house tour through another article on AT and the artwork caught my eye. I have a really good friend whose last name is Ball and would love to get her that. It's very cute. Lovely apartment by the way. :)

posted by Tracy333 on April 26, 2011 at 9:45pm
view Tracy333's profile

amazing. i totally got a ton of inspiration from your work here. ikea should be giving you kickbacks on the expedit line!
the bathroom brick is phenomenal.
thumbs up.

posted by pkpk on April 27, 2011 at 1:22pm
view pkpk's profile

Thanks again for the nice comments, I really appreciate it.

cvgmiami, I indeed chose the clear shower curtain to expand the visual space in the bathroom. It definitely does the trick, makes the room feel twice as big as if there was a big fabric curtain there.

Terry, thanks for kind words about Theo, and yes, I did hire an architect, primarily to help me with placement of the closet, which originally separated the kitchen from the rest of the space and now helps give me a little entry area on one side as well as a dressing area on the other.

Tracy333, the Love Ball art actually came from a friend who put on the event back in the early 90s. I wish a print was available, but I don't believe it is, sorry.

Dillonliving, I don't have info on the floor paint anymore, I'm afraid, sorry. Hope you found a good option.

posted by jayro212 on April 28, 2011 at 6:25pm
view jayro212's profile

Amazing use of space and finishes. Just faved.

posted by Sonje on April 29, 2011 at 1:58am
view Sonje's profile

I love what you have done with the space especially the hallway/ divider.

i've just bought a studio flat in London with 350sq feet and I would like to know where you bought you bed from? Thanks.

posted by HannahF on April 29, 2011 at 10:40am
view HannahF's profile

When I grow up...I want a NY apt like yours! I love the floors. Just the whole apt is awesome. Good job!

posted by wendym1 on May 2, 2011 at 1:34pm
view wendym1's profile

I'm amazed that you have an entry and hallway in 400 square feet - as well as cordoning off the bedroom so well. All solid, liveable and beautiful rooms. well done!!!

posted by Debbie Chap on June 26, 2011 at 4:53pm
view Debbie Chap's profile