Ariel's Wrap Around Jewel Box

Name:

Ariel

Los Angeles, California

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I recently had to downsize, and made it my mission to make this little studio apartment a place I loved to spend time in. I think it's a complete reflection of who I am: fun, creative, and a little unusual. I love that all my favorite things are out, yet it still doesn't feel cramped or cluttered. Even though it's small, my friends love coming over to hang out!

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

I wanted separation between my sleeping and living areas, but not at the expense of the room feeling smaller. I developed a system of bookshelves using springloaded IKEA shelf standards (which I had powdercoated off-white to feel less industrial,) and designed a system of wrap-around shelving, which I painted chartreuse (!) to create the screen. In between the shelf standards, I made removable scrims. At night, it's like a glowing jewel box. I painted the back wall "Chocolate Pudding" brown, which I think makes the wall recede, and added mirrors to all the door panels.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (170)

WOW. I am completely impressed. Excellent job!

posted by sarahgraham on April 5, 2011 at 4:08pm
view sarahgraham's profile

Love it.

But...Do you not have a couch?

posted by DipDipDive on April 5, 2011 at 6:31pm
view DipDipDive's profile

Spirited and sweet!

posted by Nalina on April 7, 2011 at 8:53pm
view Nalina's profile

Thanks foleando! The paint color is Dunn Edwards "Chocolate Pudding"

posted by voiture12 on April 10, 2011 at 12:58pm
view voiture12's profile

LOVE IT!! Would love to see the kitchen!

posted by natalieJ on April 8, 2011 at 10:51am
view natalieJ's profile

ok you got the statue?

posted by deirdref on April 8, 2011 at 6:51pm
view deirdref's profile

Nice. Love how you used a space that would be traditionally for a dining area into a work area. If looks much bigger and all the little details make it look opulant.

posted by Tracy333 on April 5, 2011 at 11:05am
view Tracy333's profile

amazing!

posted by Coletta (rhymes with velveeta) on April 5, 2011 at 9:04am
view Coletta (rhymes with velveeta)'s profile

The bookshelves are a fantastic solution! You were able to both create the separation you wanted, while adding storage.

posted by Sassyladie on April 5, 2011 at 9:51am
view Sassyladie's profile

Original, stylish and clever. Life sent you lemons and you made some juicy lemonade.

posted by Allegra M on April 5, 2011 at 10:07am
view Allegra M's profile

Brilliant.

posted by Juliet___ on April 5, 2011 at 11:54am
view Juliet___'s profile

Fantastic.

posted by Cashew on April 5, 2011 at 11:19am
view Cashew's profile

Amazing! Best so far by far.

posted by azaleasmoke on April 5, 2011 at 11:32am
view azaleasmoke's profile

Especially loving all the amazing lamps and rugs. Only thing I would change for my personal taste is the colour of the walls in the bedroom so that it would pick up better on the global aesthetic of the rest of the place. But kudos, just great.

posted by azaleasmoke on April 5, 2011 at 11:34am
view azaleasmoke's profile

great job creating individual living spaces in a studio! fantastic!

posted by jetholen on April 5, 2011 at 11:55am
view jetholen's profile

I am in awe of this design solution to hold all those books, divided and create a private bedroom space from the living area.

I would like to know more about how the shelves are secured and the skims -material and how they are attached.

I love the style in general of this apartment.

posted by b77 on April 5, 2011 at 11:37am
view b77's profile

I intend to enter myself but this is so good you get my vote, clever and personal, love it!

posted by UK James on April 5, 2011 at 11:45am
view UK James's profile

OMG I am in so love with this, I have been trying to find a similar solution for years now and I can't believe I never thought of those Ikea shelves! GENIUS! this is so perfect. I believe we have a winner!

posted by waterlily on April 5, 2011 at 12:18pm
view waterlily's profile

Yes! This is what Apartment Therapy is supposed to be about!!

posted by SubwayKnitter on April 5, 2011 at 12:50pm
view SubwayKnitter's profile

This is seriously brilliant.

posted by Cassis on April 5, 2011 at 12:54pm
view Cassis's profile

Wonderful. After Small/Cool is over, regardless of how far Ariel gets, I'd love a full house tour. I'm dying to see the kitchen, bath and office area.

posted by ruckus on April 5, 2011 at 1:47pm
view ruckus's profile

This is so good. I keep coming back to look at the pictures again and again. Love that you've a a piano in that tiny space and it doesn't even seem crowded. And love the special chest of drawers under the "American" sign.

posted by NickGood on April 5, 2011 at 1:37pm
view NickGood's profile

Super frickin' job.

posted by afoundhome on April 5, 2011 at 1:42pm
view afoundhome's profile

This is great - very inventive! I'm actually looking to move into a studio apartment in LA very soon and this entry makes me hopeful that I can achieve a level of sophistication and style in such a small space. Congrats!

posted by hessilou on April 5, 2011 at 1:42pm
view hessilou's profile

The mirrored table is a great idea too: adds extra light and space--or seems to, which is the point, right?

great job overall.

posted by ashasekh on April 5, 2011 at 1:50pm
view ashasekh's profile

The bed nook is fabulous. Would love more details on how you put it together!

posted by kyidmnmaiv on April 5, 2011 at 2:01pm
view kyidmnmaiv's profile

Well done!

posted by martigny on April 5, 2011 at 2:08pm
view martigny's profile

This really EXCELLS for 420 sq. ft.!!!

posted by wyndwalkr on April 5, 2011 at 2:16pm
view wyndwalkr's profile

Really creative and smart. I love how you named your floor plan areas by function.

The brown wall color is gorgeous.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 5, 2011 at 2:20pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

These look like four different apartments entirely, cannot believe you packed this much coll, elegance, and refinement into such a small space.

posted by trixiegoodbits on April 5, 2011 at 6:59pm
view trixiegoodbits's profile

I love the division of space. I've spent the last two years in a studio wishing I could create a "bedroom" like this. I'm moving soon to another studio and this is giving me a lot of inspiration!

posted by lishmry on April 5, 2011 at 5:40pm
view lishmry's profile

I love the bookshleves! I wish we could know more about how we can divide our space like this...

Very inventive and seems like a great place to hang out with friends!

posted by California Sleepybears on April 5, 2011 at 6:10pm
view California Sleepybears's profile

Wow- thanks for the kind comments!!

b77-
The Ikea shelving units are called Broder, and they are actually spring-loaded. They have a rubberized base (non-skid) and attach to the ceiling with screws. They have a square profile and accept shelf brackets on all four sides, which is what makes them so great! I made the scrims with a 3/4" hem on the top and bottom, and used a piece of flat 1/2" metal (available at the hardware store) to hang them, (they fit inside the hem and into the holes of the brackets) and as weights on the bottom. Ariel

posted by voiture12 on April 5, 2011 at 6:21pm
view voiture12's profile

Yes, love it. I bet the view from the front door into the apartment is great, too.

And yay for pianos in small homes (I have one in mine as well). I'm curious about the lack of sofa, though. I guess I spend too much time lounging!

posted by Britomart on April 5, 2011 at 6:22pm
view Britomart's profile

Form, Function, Style. Love!

What is the brand/actual color name of the back brown wall? It reminds me of a soft fuzzy koala bear...

posted by elbebuz on April 5, 2011 at 6:26pm
view elbebuz's profile

Kudos! I had to sign in just to comment. Great use of space and love the wraparound shelf.

posted by wj on April 5, 2011 at 6:27pm
view wj's profile

Those screens are a great solution, but I miss a couch.

posted by Ofelia on April 5, 2011 at 7:36pm
view Ofelia's profile

Fantastic to see what an ingenious and artsy person can do with such a witty-bitty space!

posted by Alexa-LA on April 5, 2011 at 10:56pm
view Alexa-LA's profile

If I had seen your amazing place before now I might have thought twice about being so determined to get a one-bedroom apartment - but I never would have come up with that brilliant shelving/space divider. Bravo! (And I LOVE the chartreuse!)

posted by eclectic-chick on April 5, 2011 at 11:40pm
view eclectic-chick's profile

fan-freakin-tastic! this will be in my top 3 for sure. creative and efficient use of space and beautiful aesthetic. so warm and cozy - gives me a conversational vibe. i'd want to hang out there.

posted by gibbler on April 5, 2011 at 11:43pm
view gibbler's profile

Genius! That's the greatest ikea hack ever - they should market it for studio dwellers!

posted by Bridget212323 on April 6, 2011 at 12:28am
view Bridget212323's profile

I amazed. Great job with the Ikea Hack. This is just brilliant.

posted by JamesG on April 6, 2011 at 4:08am
view JamesG's profile

I could so easily live in this apartment. It's beautiful, and I love the scaling of the furniture and that amazing solution to creating a bedroom. It makes me miss my old vintage downtown apartment! And it's perfectly okay to live without a couch - I'm in a house now, but still don't have a couch. The dogs would just hog it anyway.

posted by KatinaM on April 6, 2011 at 8:15am
view KatinaM's profile

I really love this! Warm, homey & sophisticated. There are lots of books and personal objects displayed but the overall feeling is the opposite of cluttered, serene almost. Masterfully done!

posted by AdamD_ on April 6, 2011 at 8:20am
view AdamD_'s profile

thanks voiture12 - keeping this info for future use. Good luck, I would give you a few more votes if I could.

posted by b77 on April 6, 2011 at 8:38am
view b77's profile

Ariel is this the sort of skims you used
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202090128/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=opaque+sheets&jspStoreDir=hdus&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&navFlow=3&catalogId=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

These from home depot are opaque
like yours. Thanks again!

posted by b77 on April 6, 2011 at 8:48am
view b77's profile

Will look every day for a full tour!
Please tell me that your table is adjustable, to dining as well as "coffee" table height. AND, where did you get the table base??

posted by justjude on April 6, 2011 at 4:33am
view justjude's profile

This is incredible. The bookshelves are pure genius. I'm saving these images in my Inspiration Folder. :)

posted by k2yhe on April 6, 2011 at 11:10am
view k2yhe's profile

I bought a gauzy fabric for $1.50/yd and sewed the scrims. They were inexpensive yet time consuming :)

The paint was from Dunn Edwards, and is actually called "Chocolate Pudding".

The couch...I had a very large one in my prior apartment, which did not fit here. I need to find something just the right size, so the back doesn't block the windows (they are french windows and open inwards), and which doesn't stick out to far and block the doorway to the kitchen. My butterfly chair is the lounger these days.

The mirror is attached to a bar-stool base, so it is adjustable...but not exactly to dining room height...however that is a great idea! Thanks justjude!
Ariel

posted by voiture12 on April 6, 2011 at 11:17am
view voiture12's profile

great studio, love the style. i would have to have a couch though.

posted by kingm62 on April 6, 2011 at 11:20am
view kingm62's profile

Congrats Ariel, I absolutely love it!!!

posted by littlemissMOJO! on April 6, 2011 at 11:23am
view littlemissMOJO!'s profile

This is a fantastic use of space. Wonderfully creative. Love it!!!

posted by bartoccinidesign on April 6, 2011 at 2:46pm
view bartoccinidesign's profile

I love what you did to separate the play and sleep areas!! Very inviting!

posted by coastalchic on April 6, 2011 at 9:28pm
view coastalchic's profile

i love how you hve these obvious street market finds mixed in with beautiful well known designed pieces....and your use of space is remarkable....it is amazingly comfortable and still very chic....so many textures shapes and colors ....it flows it sings it charms....

posted by tdawg on April 6, 2011 at 3:00pm
view tdawg's profile

fantastic. very well thought out floorplan and room flow. I love all the plant and 'ethnic' touches throughout the apartment as well.

and yea that Ikea hack is awesome!

posted by Vintagehoney on April 6, 2011 at 3:30pm
view Vintagehoney's profile

You've made space for a piano. Wow. That gets my vote.

posted by comicbookheroine on April 6, 2011 at 4:31pm
view comicbookheroine's profile

Good for you for waiting for just the right couch...Your home is just beautiful in the meantime.

posted by DipDipDive on April 6, 2011 at 4:46pm
view DipDipDive's profile

In "W's" words, "Mission Accomplished".;-)

posted by MEBJohnson on April 6, 2011 at 6:15pm
view MEBJohnson's profile

I really love this space and would like to request more images of areas such as the bathroom, office and kitchen.

Full house tour, please!

posted by The Happy Heathen on April 6, 2011 at 6:18pm
view The Happy Heathen's profile

A very resourceful use of space that is excellently small cool. Fun, creative, unusual,
my favorite qualities.

posted by Kate (NC) on April 7, 2011 at 6:20am
view Kate (NC)'s profile

This is really elegant, beautiful and functional. I want to see more photos about bath and kitchen.

posted by Turkan on April 7, 2011 at 9:49am
view Turkan's profile

This one is def at the top of my list! I have to know, though, does anyone know what those wood chairs are in the living area? I found one in my neighbor's trash last month and have been refinishing it and loving it! This is the first time I've seen another one. Is there any history to it?

posted by maugust3 on April 7, 2011 at 11:02am
view maugust3's profile

Congratulations Maugust! You scored an Ib Kofod Larsen chair! He was a mid-century Danish furniture designer...google him! I also found mine at a thrift shop and flea market on opposite coasts and have since refinished and re-upholstered them to match. They were also made in an all wood model.
Ariel

posted by voiture12 on April 7, 2011 at 11:13am
view voiture12's profile

I love it! Looks comfortable yet very efficient (love the storage solution). I'm greatly inspired! Would love to see more :)

posted by Ninella on April 7, 2011 at 4:14pm
view Ninella's profile

HUGELY fantastic in a tiny little space. This is genius - creative - fun. Love it.

posted by D Yanez on April 7, 2011 at 4:44pm
view D Yanez's profile

Very nice! I've been thinking about using Broder for a room divider also. Nice to see it classed up & in action.

posted by Roozter on April 7, 2011 at 6:56pm
view Roozter's profile

The yummy chocolate color is so right for a sleep area, while it does seem to make the wall recede when seen from the play area. Ditto to brilliant, best Ikea hack ever, full Tour please.

posted by Lilly3 on April 8, 2011 at 3:04am
view Lilly3's profile

so spare so simple so ariel

posted by deirdref on April 8, 2011 at 6:43pm
view deirdref's profile

Wow!! I love this!! In the first picture, are those more books inside the closet?? If so, I love it even more!

posted by kellykat0 on April 8, 2011 at 6:45pm
view kellykat0's profile

ditto to deirdre's first comment...no, really, in my own words...totally impressed, coming from someone who's been living in 380 sq. ft for 27 yrs...nyc living...

posted by CaronM on April 8, 2011 at 7:20pm
view CaronM's profile

Sorry to disappoint kellykat: those are CDs in the alcove. Call me old fashioned... my LP collection is in storage.
Ariel

posted by voiture12 on April 8, 2011 at 10:35pm
view voiture12's profile

Beautiful. Where'd you get the cabinet in the 4th picture? It looks so useful!

posted by lef2009 on April 10, 2011 at 1:52am
view lef2009's profile

Vintage IKEA, lef2009.

posted by voiture12 on April 10, 2011 at 10:37am
view voiture12's profile

Beautiful place, Ariel. I would also like to confirm your color on the wall. It looks like Raccoon Fur from BM which I am trying in several places now, but it would be great to know for sure as it looks great.

posted by foleando on April 10, 2011 at 11:59am
view foleando's profile

Just Great!

posted by Apo Hsu on April 10, 2011 at 2:33pm
view Apo Hsu's profile

Great use of space - well done

posted by ami almagor on April 10, 2011 at 4:27pm
view ami almagor's profile

Stunning! The bookcase-surround bedroom is ingenious and always nice to see a piano in a tiny space. (former studio dweller with large upright piano)

posted by SMM1 on April 10, 2011 at 6:35pm
view SMM1's profile

You Rule. Beyond well done.

posted by abbyfrey on April 10, 2011 at 9:30pm
view abbyfrey's profile

Great shelving! sculptural and practical. Also, so happy to see a piano in there!!

posted by vogue8 on April 11, 2011 at 1:26am
view vogue8's profile

awesome Ariel, I could use something like that!!! - I think I voted correctly - good luck!!!

posted by emily cotrona on April 11, 2011 at 8:20am
view emily cotrona's profile

foleando - i painted the exterior of my mid-century modern home "raccoon fur" by bm and people stop and ask what color it is all the time. it is lovely - shimmery and sometimes dull, silvery but sometimes black, grey. it has lots of personality.

posted by breastmilkrocks on April 11, 2011 at 8:32am
view breastmilkrocks's profile

Me favourite part be scrim bed lighted.

posted by Melroa on April 11, 2011 at 7:06pm
view Melroa's profile

Kudos on the infrastructure that makes this small space so liveable but most of all for not compromising an ounce of SOUL. I dig this place.

posted by cvgmiami on April 12, 2011 at 12:45pm
view cvgmiami's profile

I had to marry an apartment, this would probably come in first!

I do have a bit of compartmentalizing syndrome, but I honestly think that being able to divide a small space like this makes it feel much bigger on the whole. These individual spaces now have purpose, rather than just being an extra half a m2 of empty space.

A question on small apartments in general in the US, though: is it common for them to be divided into smaller rooms like this? Here in Sweden most flats in this size are usually one room only (not including bath), which I find unfortunate (although I realize that some might want the freedom of one larger room for several reasons).

What I'm getting at is that an extra wall/room would sometimes mean more than extra space if living with someone in a tiny box.

Oh, about those Broder racks: is the spring loaded mechanism enough to sustain the weight of a shelf or two or do you have drill?

I'm looking into slightly mimicking your idea and also use it as a bike rack for my foldable bike next to the entrance.

(Sorry for the wall of text)

posted by blipmusic on April 13, 2011 at 5:18am
view blipmusic's profile

Thanks blip-
I'm guessing most newer smaller apartments tend to have open kitchens, or smaller kitchens...mine is from the 1930's, and is a pretty standard floorplan in Los Angeles. Otherwise some small apartments are designed as studios and some as 1-bedrooms.
The spring in the Broder racks pushes the top element upwards towards the ceiling, and has holes to attach to the ceiling. All the shelf brackets are attached to the bottom element (about 6' tall), so the weight of the books is not loaded on the spring.
Ariel

posted by voiture12 on April 13, 2011 at 11:27am
view voiture12's profile

Ah, I see. Many of the "tiny-division" entries have been divided into rooms and I realized I kind of liked it - more than I thought I would, so I got curious.

Though a friend of mine lives in what was originally late 19th/early 20th century factory workers' living quarters (i.e tiny but nicely renovated) not far from me, which is divided into rooms as well so it might boil down to finding a building from the right era.
(If I currently had the freedom of choice, that is...)

Thanks for the heads up on the Broder shelving! I'm off to IKEA tomorrow to plan a bit.

posted by blipmusic on April 13, 2011 at 2:23pm
view blipmusic's profile

excellent use of BRODER!!!

posted by lance reynald on April 13, 2011 at 3:50pm
view lance reynald's profile

I love it! is the perfect cube - we do need more than hurray for uniqueness...

posted by Azotea on April 13, 2011 at 6:23pm
view Azotea's profile

Brilliant use of space! More and more people are needing solutions like this. Thank you!

posted by myohogirl on April 13, 2011 at 8:22pm
view myohogirl's profile

You have done a terrific design job and it is wonderful what you have done with the bookcases.

Betsy

posted by Betsy Jentz on April 13, 2011 at 9:28pm
view Betsy Jentz's profile

your media center is magic!

posted by mr. martini pants™ on April 13, 2011 at 9:43pm
view mr. martini pants™'s profile

What a great collection of things. Just the right mix of new and old, minimal and eclectic. Love the little pops of color!

posted by francieb on April 13, 2011 at 11:01pm
view francieb's profile

Very inventive style for such a small space! Love the wraparound bookshelves / entertainment center, the piano, the wood cabinet with sculpture, the plants and lamps.

posted by It's Me Dee on April 13, 2011 at 11:21pm
view It's Me Dee's profile

I will feel very cozy and happy in an apartment like that. Very Well Done ariel!

posted by yael Lir on April 14, 2011 at 12:16am
view yael Lir's profile

Makes me want to get rid of 600 square feet of my apartment and hire you to make it look this good.

posted by Ellen2 on April 14, 2011 at 8:44am
view Ellen2's profile

I woke up this morning and happened to do a search for 'Chartreuse Bookshelves' and boom, found this little gem. I love it. I had to vote for it!

posted by greenlove9000 on April 14, 2011 at 8:49am
view greenlove9000's profile

Now come help me with my place. Please!

posted by navyboy on April 14, 2011 at 9:44am
view navyboy's profile

An absolute jewel of an idea. It's quite remarkable how you have made a 420 sq ft place look double the size.

And the chocolate pudding wall colour is so elegant.

posted by Sandy Teles on April 14, 2011 at 12:11pm
view Sandy Teles's profile

I really like the 4th picture, and the amazing huge plant! Great job :)

posted by maechevrette on April 14, 2011 at 2:13pm
view maechevrette's profile

I just got a place and am newly inspired by your energy, Ariel. Bravo. It's as stylish as it is comfortable. Happily, no "look at me" moments; just stimulating surrounds.
Small can be better!

posted by Julie Eakin on April 14, 2011 at 2:48pm
view Julie Eakin's profile

You make me no longer afraid of small spaces...

posted by Stan Mazin on April 14, 2011 at 3:39pm
view Stan Mazin's profile

This is lovely.

posted by modernist1 on April 14, 2011 at 4:00pm
view modernist1's profile

wonderful,....love it!

posted by Mdvanii on April 14, 2011 at 7:01pm
view Mdvanii's profile

i am lucky enough to have seen this jewel box up close ..it is stylish, refined, personal,and workable...a great place...hats off!!!

posted by jpowers on April 14, 2011 at 8:38pm
view jpowers's profile

This man understands how precious is a place of one's own.

posted by brian from Vista on April 15, 2011 at 3:19am
view brian from Vista's profile

You have some dynamite pieces (the blue lamp and the dresser). Less is more when one thing is amazing!

posted by Naoki9 on April 15, 2011 at 3:30pm
view Naoki9's profile

and you managed to fit a piano in there too! very innovative + likeable. would've liked to see the work + cook areas too. goodluck!

posted by timsim7 on April 16, 2011 at 12:33am
view timsim7's profile

i'm moving in

posted by iar on April 16, 2011 at 3:13pm
view iar's profile

Great job Ariel, you still have the New York City sensibilities and did an amazing job with such small place.

posted by designhater on April 16, 2011 at 3:48pm
view designhater's profile

cool and creative. I LOVE IT. well done Ariel!

posted by dillonliving on April 16, 2011 at 9:32pm
view dillonliving's profile

king of cool. love it, Ariel.

posted by marina-g on April 16, 2011 at 9:59pm
view marina-g's profile

I love it! I plan to downsize this year and it's nice to know others can do it so nicely.

posted by Ms Melly on April 17, 2011 at 2:26am
view Ms Melly's profile

thanks for the props ariel. :) you too have found such creative solutions to your space! impressed. nicely done.
jordan

posted by 3floorsup on April 17, 2011 at 10:16am
view 3floorsup's profile

Nice Job Ariel.

posted by Paulygurl on April 18, 2011 at 2:53pm
view Paulygurl's profile

brilliant!!!!!!!

posted by shkendie on April 18, 2011 at 3:11pm
view shkendie's profile

Well, isn't that 'spatial'. Great job.

posted by rattyoldthing on April 18, 2011 at 3:55pm
view rattyoldthing's profile

This is inspirational! A favourite of mine for sure. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the contest!

posted by lauraTO on April 18, 2011 at 9:50pm
view lauraTO's profile

Incredible job. You've got my vote. The plan of this place looks exactly like an apt I once had at 113 1/2 S. La Brea Blvd. I won't ask you to divulge your address right here but I would be very curious to know if it's the same.

posted by GoDogGo on April 18, 2011 at 4:10pm
view GoDogGo's profile

Great use of a tight space and filled with a wonderful aesthetic sense for design.

posted by GDM on April 18, 2011 at 5:08pm
view GDM's profile

Love it. Tone, texture, creative use of design for the bed. I'm just scared of the masks !!! LOL

posted by LAnce Aston on April 18, 2011 at 7:14pm
view LAnce Aston's profile

What a pleasure to have Ariel Asken in my building. I am his landlord. I love people who make the world more beautiful.

posted by julienewmar on April 18, 2011 at 7:31pm
view julienewmar's profile

Oh my goodness, Ariel!

Absolutely stunning - I may have to hire you when I move. :-)

Truly excellent use of space and color: brightens but does not overpower. I appreciate what you described as the sense of separation (I think we NYers are over eating in our bedrooms and sleeping in our kitchens. ;)

And you made room to let nature in = SCORE!
Just wonderful!

Renee, Justin's friend

posted by ReneeMNYC on April 18, 2011 at 9:52pm
view ReneeMNYC's profile

cool~!!!!! :D

posted by Gina Chang on April 19, 2011 at 3:33am
view Gina Chang's profile

Wonderful. It's strangely captivating, because the space seems much larger than it actually is. It looks rather pleasant to live in to.

posted by UltimateLife234 on April 19, 2011 at 5:41am
view UltimateLife234's profile

Very nice solution! I once cross-stitched a saying for a friend, who was living in her builder-husband's huge, Georgian brick Colonial home in Greenfield Hill, Fairfield, CT. It read: "A house is made of bricks and beams, but a home is made of love and dreams." It is so apparent that no matter the size, when there is love in a home, believe me, it shows! <3

posted by astafford on April 19, 2011 at 9:28am
view astafford's profile

I love how you combined the warm and cool colors in your apartment. Great work~!!

posted by ChristineKong on April 19, 2011 at 1:58pm
view ChristineKong's profile

Fantastic, Ariel! Wish you could help me with my place!

posted by Victor Bevine on April 20, 2011 at 7:36am
view Victor Bevine's profile

incredibly lovely the best love it

posted by julienewmar on April 20, 2011 at 11:06am
view julienewmar's profile

you got my vote. good luck

posted by Mario3000 on April 20, 2011 at 3:08pm
view Mario3000's profile

this shit be fo real sahn

posted by Young Money on April 28, 2011 at 4:15pm
view Young Money's profile

That's lovely...feels very livable for a studio apartment. Where is that wood lamp from in picture #2??

posted by francoisehardie on April 20, 2011 at 5:35pm
view francoisehardie's profile

GoDogGo - I think your question has been answered...
francoisehardie - that is a flea market find, but I recovered the lampshade frame with textured rice paper, as it was in pretty bad shape when I got it.

Thanks for the props folks!

posted by voiture12 on April 21, 2011 at 12:03pm
view voiture12's profile

Inspiring! Every home should have a piano, if you ask me, and I like that you've fit one in here so naturally. You've created a lovely, warm, and comfortable place.

posted by tornadoZ on April 21, 2011 at 5:05pm
view tornadoZ's profile

added this is a fave from the first pic of the shelving system alone. wow! amazingly handy and creative with impressive results.

posted by aj510 on April 22, 2011 at 5:33am
view aj510's profile

Hi Apartment Therapy friends, I see a lot of comments and questions on these entries about rugs, which has started me on a hunt. I wanted to share this site with you (affordable, great selection and tons of chevron rugs). No, I don't work for them, just sharing a good resource.

www.burkedecor.com

posted by cvgmiami on April 22, 2011 at 12:26pm
view cvgmiami's profile

I just LOVE this! Fantastic, Ariel!!!

posted by bonniebonbon on April 22, 2011 at 3:36pm
view bonniebonbon's profile

A JEWEL!!

posted by Dancinman1 on April 22, 2011 at 4:08pm
view Dancinman1's profile

Just from the fantastic use of space, this is already my favorite entry. That divider system, the furniture selection, the reclaimed signs — all really nice. Add to that, fitting a piano in there? You've got my vote.

posted by analogdialog on April 22, 2011 at 7:08pm
view analogdialog's profile

love it!

posted by kattiem on April 23, 2011 at 2:17am
view kattiem's profile

Very nice and I love books, too...but this seems a bit cluttered with this many.

posted by bfergie13 on April 24, 2011 at 7:34am
view bfergie13's profile

The book shelves around your bed nook are very creative. Look like a lot of work went into this.

posted by House Voyeur on April 24, 2011 at 8:09pm
view House Voyeur's profile

Every aspect has a creative touch. We need
Ariel in New York City

posted by Kathi Ahlberg on April 24, 2011 at 9:52pm
view Kathi Ahlberg's profile

Good job Ariel! Hello to doc. Asken))

posted by Akmal on April 25, 2011 at 12:08am
view Akmal's profile

even with all the new entries, i keep coming back to this one. i can totally see friends spending their days staring at your bookshelves and listening to good music or playing your piano. hope you come out on top!

posted by solarsister310 on April 25, 2011 at 1:41pm
view solarsister310's profile

To me, this really embodies the spirit of this competition. Good work!

posted by squire66 on April 25, 2011 at 10:53pm
view squire66's profile

Thanks solarsister...I do love my books and having them around me!

posted by voiture12 on April 25, 2011 at 11:25pm
view voiture12's profile

I have the same Ikea Broder system as a bedroom divider as well, but your is truly brilliant! Honestly, I don't know what I would do without these Ikea shelves...they really have resolved a lot of my storage problems! I wish I can see more apartment like yours! I think you win best creativity here!

posted by xmh on April 26, 2011 at 1:31am
view xmh's profile

Love this... and the fact that you didn't cram a couch into the play area.

posted by spinningscreen on April 26, 2011 at 12:37pm
view spinningscreen's profile

It's like a book caravan. All the plants, the rug, the rich colors make it feel very tropical.

posted by alessandrooo on April 27, 2011 at 2:59pm
view alessandrooo's profile

I'm a friend of Justins... he was right your work is great! I hope you reach your goal!!!!
Shanie Evans

posted by shanieevans on April 27, 2011 at 5:08pm
view shanieevans's profile

absolutely fabulous!

posted by Elizabeth Gilcreast on April 27, 2011 at 7:36pm
view Elizabeth Gilcreast's profile

Wonderful jewel of a studio. Very, very impressed with the Ikea shelves, they are a perfect tool for renters and kudos for choosing a piano over a sofa. This is a favorite stunning colors and a new storage solutions. Well done!

How about Apartment Therapy putting all these entries in a book when the contest is done. These are real life solutions to real space problems.

posted by jennifer in exile on April 28, 2011 at 8:07pm
view jennifer in exile's profile

Ariel I'm so impressed, you are such a talent.

posted by Carla Hart from Peter Bolton Painted Finishes on April 29, 2011 at 1:17pm
view Carla Hart from Peter Bolton Painted Finishes's profile

I have major trouble keeping organized. My place is usually a mess and your place provides a great solution with that shelving unit. Really cool!

posted by pig pen on April 29, 2011 at 11:31pm
view pig pen's profile

I love that dresser
and the lamp
and all of it.

posted by lauraprescott on April 30, 2011 at 12:42am
view lauraprescott's profile

What a fun space! Love the colors!

posted by Momma Mia on April 30, 2011 at 1:32am
view Momma Mia's profile

hey ariel. this might seem odd to say, but nonetheless, wanted you to know that i appreciate the encouraging comment you left last week on my post, even though we are competing. i realize these things can easily go toward the negative + i'm glad that our interactions are just the opposite.

i don't think any category has been as neck and neck as ours. i think they should just take us both. :)

not sure if i want to say "best of luck" as i do want to win BUT....good job. :)
j.

posted by 3floorsup on April 30, 2011 at 4:30pm
view 3floorsup's profile

Your apartment is definitely the best in category, you should win ;)

posted by Stuthomas on April 30, 2011 at 6:33pm
view Stuthomas's profile

It is great!!

posted by seaducks on April 30, 2011 at 8:23pm
view seaducks's profile

Really super stylish and grown up looking... so much more than the others

posted by fickleme on April 30, 2011 at 9:56pm
view fickleme's profile

Great style. Agree with other commenters: amazing use of Broder shelves...nothing in here feels IKEA at all!

posted by augusto67 on May 1, 2011 at 4:28am
view augusto67's profile

i don't even know if you're up yet ariel since you're on the west coast but i SWEAR the same people are voting for both of us!!! it's unbelievable and honestly, makes me laugh.

my pal wrote the following to me yesterday (one of my friends affectionately dubbed you 'bookcase,' hence the reference):

"This is crazy. No other category has a neck and neck high volume race like this. I have to believe you will prevail by virtue of karma. If not, bookcase is one helluva human being. Simple as that."

:) so...even those that are cheering for me recognize quality in the competition when they see it.

1 hour 45 minutes to go.
best,
j.

posted by 3floorsup on May 1, 2011 at 10:13am
view 3floorsup's profile

To me, this is the best one in this category. Tiny space with real design elegance.

posted by Rhonda Martinez on May 1, 2011 at 12:03pm
view Rhonda Martinez's profile

congrats ariel. it was fun.
j.

posted by 3floorsup on May 1, 2011 at 12:12pm
view 3floorsup's profile

Hey Ariel! LOVE your place - you should have won this category as far as I'm concerned :)

You mentioned that you had your IKEA shelves powdercoated and I'm wondering if you would be willing to share where you had it done? I'm in LA also and I'm looking to have something powdercoated and don't know where to go! Thanks so much!!!

posted by BeachLiving on May 11, 2011 at 5:47pm
view BeachLiving's profile

Ariel, I need your help! I hope you still see these comments. I'm moving into a studio of VERY similar layout (alas, no room for my desk like you have yours or we'd have... the same place) and was wondering what size is your bed? I have a queen and am REALLY worried it's too big. Help me out? I can't see the apartment in person for a while but your is so similar and i'd like to partition in a similar way that it gives me a great idea if Queen is really pushing it. I also have a piano!! :)

posted by BessCake on June 30, 2011 at 6:00pm
view BessCake's profile

BessCake: Thanks and good luck! My bed is queen sized as well. In order to make it fit, I changed the door to my closet to bi-fold doors (swings out 18" instead of 36") Also, I had them hinged in the middle in order to fit a night table...otherwise each door would have swung out.

posted by voiture12 on August 4, 2011 at 12:06pm
view voiture12's profile

BeachLiving: I found a great place in Burbank called Steve's Powder Coating...or Steve's Plating. Pretty reasonable.

posted by voiture12 on August 4, 2011 at 12:08pm
view voiture12's profile

Hi Ariel, I would love to get some more details on your room divider. How far apart did you space the broder posts? Any chance you could post/send close-up photos of the scrims as they attach to the posts? Thank you~Suzanna.

posted by fabzanna on February 8, 2012 at 2:33pm
view fabzanna's profile

You have an amazing amount of room considering that actual square footage. Great job.

posted by thesmilequeen on April 4, 2012 at 10:07am
view thesmilequeen's profile