Cammie's Chunk of Green

Name:

Cammie

Boston, Massachusetts

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love a lot of things about our Small Cool home, but among the favorites are definitely the accent walls. Our “garden level” apartment only gets about an hour of decent natural light a day. When we moved in, the walls were painted dark mustard and dark purple, all of the doors and trim were mismatched wood, and it felt like a cave. The easiest and cheapest way to brighten it up was to paint everything white, but at the same time I love color! To get my color fix, I painted one wall in the bedroom/living room a deep jade green, and one wall in the kitchen black. Since the green is framed by brick and the black is surrounded by white cabinets, you get the illusion that the walls are receding back, making each room seem a little bit bigger than it actually is. The accent walls also help establish a kitchen v. dining area and a living room v. bedroom. But mostly I am just ecstatic to have a giant chunk of green in my home. That’s all anyone really needs.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Other than the usual small space issues (storage, light, etc.), one of the biggest challenges was deciding where to put the "living room." Our apartment consists of two fairly equally-sized rooms, so our options were to have a small kitchen/living room and huge bedroom, or a huge kitchen and small bedroom/living room. Once we removed the door between the two rooms, it was suddenly clear what arrangement would maximize our total utility. Most of the time it's just us plus pug, so the small loveseat and ottoman combination is perfect. When we do have people over it usually revolves around food, so it's nice to have a dining area that can accommodate several people as well as double as a work space.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (59)

This apartment is so very well done. Congratulations!

posted by Terry3 on April 20, 2011 at 12:09pm
view Terry3's profile

Fabulous! For those who question the square footage, the floor plan has measurements. They add up!

posted by r2b2 on April 20, 2011 at 10:27am
view r2b2's profile

Great job, what a beautiful apartment.

posted by knitsmcgee on April 20, 2011 at 11:20am
view knitsmcgee's profile

Beautiful! The brick walls are amazing!

posted by Tracy333 on April 20, 2011 at 10:22am
view Tracy333's profile

Love the nook in the kitchen for storage, great use of space

posted by greycottage on April 20, 2011 at 8:23am
view greycottage's profile

This has everything a couple needs, plus style.

posted by Allegra M on April 20, 2011 at 8:50am
view Allegra M's profile

I love your place and your style! You did a great job using the space to its best advantage.

posted by GreenKey on April 20, 2011 at 8:54am
view GreenKey's profile

1.The placement of those knobs in the kitchen seem unfortunate.
2. A lot of ikea boxes - whats in them 0.0
3. Awesome green skull

posted by _uncanny on April 20, 2011 at 8:55am
view _uncanny's profile

Love your kitchen!

posted by saucefiend on April 20, 2011 at 8:55am
view saucefiend's profile

390 square feet? Coulda foooled me.

Love:
1. Commitment to a singular color done well.
2. White kitchen against brick.
3. Mismatched chairs.
4. Ability to carve out all separate rooms a home needs.
5. Pug.

posted by cvgmiami on April 20, 2011 at 9:10am
view cvgmiami's profile

Makes sense to have the bigger kitchen/dining area for your needs. You did an awesome job, I love how it looks lived in but not over-cluttered nor over-styled.

posted by rachaelk on April 20, 2011 at 9:20am
view rachaelk's profile

Who and where did you get that couch? Looking for something very similar to that for my new space

posted by hambone575 on April 20, 2011 at 9:34am
view hambone575's profile

Love your space-Looks so much bigger than 390 sq feet! Also would like to know where your couch is from, as well as the kitchen table!

posted by Erin0210 on April 20, 2011 at 9:42am
view Erin0210's profile

Very classy. Uncluttered but inviting.

posted by Holly14 on April 20, 2011 at 9:49am
view Holly14's profile

Love the easy, lived-in look of your home. It's very inviting.

posted by callaloo on April 20, 2011 at 9:56am
view callaloo's profile

390 sqf with dining space for six is pretty awesome.

posted by edmarch on April 20, 2011 at 9:59am
view edmarch's profile

Wowza KITCHEN!!!

posted by NorNor on April 20, 2011 at 10:22am
view NorNor's profile

Love it... but don't quite buy the square footage. Kitchen looks too big. Love what you've done with it!

posted by kinyama on April 20, 2011 at 10:01am
view kinyama's profile

One of my favorites. Excellent work!

posted by eise0100 on April 20, 2011 at 10:16am
view eise0100's profile

That's pretty much the most perfect shade of green ever. I hate green paint. I love this green paint. It is fantastico. What's the paint?

posted by azaleasmoke on April 20, 2011 at 10:33am
view azaleasmoke's profile

Very very nice. I like the way you have confidently used patches of all sorts of greens, not trying just to match that wall - it really works.

posted by helanother on April 20, 2011 at 10:41am
view helanother's profile

Swoon!

Love the brick walls.

posted by RocketScientist on April 20, 2011 at 10:48am
view RocketScientist's profile

For real, 390 sq ft? Wow, it looks super huge!!! Nice job, the green wall is fantastic, I love the black and white kitchen....! Great space. Love exposed brick walls. I think a house tour is in order, no?

posted by her_royal_gr8ness on April 20, 2011 at 10:54am
view her_royal_gr8ness's profile

Awesome! Green is one of my least favourite colours, but I still think it looks great here! It's the perfect amount, and I like all the different shades of it in various accessories. The black in the kitchen looks so good against the white cabinets.

And of course, your dog is such a sweetie!

posted by pheebs79 on April 20, 2011 at 10:56am
view pheebs79's profile

Someone is obviously from Idaho. Love it!

posted by dlach on April 20, 2011 at 11:39am
view dlach's profile

looks so much bigger than 390 sq ft! love the brick wall and the gallery over the t.v.

posted by lorrinm on April 20, 2011 at 11:59am
view lorrinm's profile

Loooove the nook with exposed brick in the kitchen. Beautifully organized...made my heart pitter patter!! Oh and how cute is your pug!!!!

posted by teresadelizo on April 20, 2011 at 12:00pm
view teresadelizo's profile

This is one of my most favorites yet! It looks roomy and so cozy - amazing job on decorating for the space!! :)

posted by Craftyfatalist on April 20, 2011 at 12:03pm
view Craftyfatalist's profile

Not sure if it's because camera angles, but god your place looks way bigger than 390sqft! amazing! so clutter free and bright! I have most to learn from you. you have my vote, Cammie! and oh god the exposed brick wall.. we need more homes like this in SF.. =)

posted by pier723 on April 20, 2011 at 12:31pm
view pier723's profile

Loving the mismatched-but-joined-together-by-white-paint chairs.

posted by casey w on April 20, 2011 at 12:55pm
view casey w's profile

Love the black wall in the kitchen! Since my cabinets are white, I think I'll consider painting at least one wall black. Good job!

posted by williamsweyr on April 20, 2011 at 2:05pm
view williamsweyr's profile

Practically perfect.

posted by Deborah Day on April 20, 2011 at 2:15pm
view Deborah Day's profile

The kitchen/dining area looks like a great space to hang out!

posted by mollyfields on April 20, 2011 at 2:16pm
view mollyfields's profile

Love how you have used your color palette, and yes, I am a big fan of green, too. Bravo!

posted by visualeyes on April 20, 2011 at 2:36pm
view visualeyes's profile

Love the charming kitchen/dining area. It's so inviting. Fashionable and rustic at the same time!

posted by owlmug on April 20, 2011 at 4:07pm
view owlmug's profile

Love!! Well done! The green, the pug, the exposed brick in the kitchen, drool....

My space is very similar to yours in the fact that I have two fairly big rooms. I went the other way though, have a combo kitchen/living, so the living area is small and a huge bedroom. Made a little office space in the bedroom. But thank you because, you've given me another option if I feel like rearranging in the future or want to get the office stuff out of the sleeping area (bad feng shui). Another thought was to possibly separate the office at night with a curtain using the full room ceiling track from west elm. Hmmm...

posted by mauishopgirl on April 20, 2011 at 4:33pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

Love the mismatched chairs...Thinking of something similar for my own dining room :-)

posted by Cliffie93 on April 20, 2011 at 6:21pm
view Cliffie93's profile

OMG, exposed brick makes me swooooooon! This place is SO dreamy! Instant favorite!

posted by Reeses902 on April 20, 2011 at 5:44pm
view Reeses902's profile

i'm loving the deep jade wall + yellowy-green accessories against the brick!

posted by Vanessa from vanessabottoni.blogspot.com on April 20, 2011 at 5:51pm
view Vanessa from vanessabottoni.blogspot.com's profile

That is one beautiful kitchen.

posted by little one on April 20, 2011 at 6:00pm
view little one's profile

*heaps compliments* upon the Apt, contestant and pug !!

posted by JulianneMay on April 20, 2011 at 7:20pm
view JulianneMay's profile

I want that pug.

And your space is lovely too.

posted by aynn on April 20, 2011 at 7:35pm
view aynn's profile

You're in my category and I still voted for you! gorgeous.

posted by kiley donovan on April 20, 2011 at 11:04pm
view kiley donovan's profile

Definitely my favorite...I love the teal/green color, exposed brick and black in the kitchen. It'd be cool to have some of it chalkboard paint for "to do" lists. Also, I love the mismatched chairs, and artwork collage. I LOVE IT!

posted by FuzzCreations on April 20, 2011 at 10:03pm
view FuzzCreations's profile

one of the nicest i've seen here. bravo!

posted by chip on April 20, 2011 at 10:56pm
view chip's profile

Awesome kitchen space, and I think it's a great choice to put a large dining table in the kitchen and put all the "living room-y" things in with the bedroom. You really have a wonderful public space and a separate wonderful private space. Since most friendly gatherings revolve around food, why not just put them in the kitchen? Your place isn't big enough that you'd ever be hosting the huge, cluster around the TV Superbowl/Academy Awards party anyway, so keeping the curl up, cozy intimate space with the bedroom makes sense.

posted by emmelemm on April 21, 2011 at 1:48am
view emmelemm's profile

I really love the white painted kitchen chairs, genius! Congrats fellow teeny-tiny dwellers.

posted by stellah on April 22, 2011 at 3:58pm
view stellah's profile

the teal colored & brick walls are just perfect.

posted by Nej2 on April 22, 2011 at 8:38pm
view Nej2's profile

Something about the wood dining table and mismatched white chairs and white flowers in clear vases makes me want to swoon.

posted by catatonia72 on April 23, 2011 at 4:01am
view catatonia72's profile

Love the green wall, and the pug.

posted by pearmelon on April 24, 2011 at 4:56am
view pearmelon's profile

@_ucanny

1. The placement of the kitchen knob handles is quite unfortunate. I originally planned to move them, but didn't really trust my skills and have learned to live with them. We just extended the lease a year, so maybe I'll revisit that ambition.
2. EVERYTHING is in the Ikea boxes. DVDs, video games, extra bedding, art supplies, tools, pug towels and blankets, rarely used but important pug things, files, electronic accessories, etc. And there are even more boxes that you can't see in these pictures!
3. Thanks! The boy thought his skull piggy bank would creep everyone out, but it seems to be a big hit.

@azaleasmoke

The paint color is "dark teal" by Pratt & Lambert, found at my neighborhood True Value.

@dlach

I'm actually from Kansas, but I know lots of great people from Idaho! I found the map next to the recycling bin at my old apartment building. I had to rescue it.

@everyone else

Thanks!

posted by cammmit on April 23, 2011 at 12:18pm
view cammmit's profile

Love your home ...
brick & wood are wonderful!
Great use of wall space for art display
Love your storage solutions in the kitchen!
- swooning over brick built-in
- food storage looks like art in that brick built-in
- black boxes in your kitchen are genius ... they just blend in (I almost missed them)!

posted by lifeabundant on April 25, 2011 at 12:33am
view lifeabundant's profile

You're so cute! You obviously love that great shade of kelly green, and just go after it with both total abandon and careful control. Well done, it's a fun approach!

posted by YakkoDot on April 26, 2011 at 3:53pm
view YakkoDot's profile

I like the green wall.

posted by House Voyeur on April 26, 2011 at 11:22pm
view House Voyeur's profile

delightful. so cool that you have been able to accomodate a big kitchen table. and the Idaho map is fun!

posted by heartspyrex on April 28, 2011 at 2:02pm
view heartspyrex's profile

I finally broke down and voted for another contestant in my category. :) I really am in love with everything about your place - the teal is fabulous, the division of space is done really well, and I love that I'm not the only one who stores pretty much everything in the upper reaches of the kitchen!

posted by Sassyladie on April 29, 2011 at 4:58pm
view Sassyladie's profile

Very nicely done indeed.

posted by uphereintheclouds on April 30, 2011 at 9:06pm
view uphereintheclouds's profile

I like your home so much

posted by zoombabe on August 22, 2011 at 5:09pm
view zoombabe's profile

it's amazing, love the green.

posted by kamelia on August 14, 2011 at 9:40am
view kamelia's profile