Nita's Natural Light

Name:

Nita

Los Angeles, California

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love all the natural light, and the view of the city at night. It is a super efficient space and easy to keep clean, but the best part is being surrounded by everything that I love and need.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

I'm not a designer, so balancing looks with efficiency is a constant challenge. Also, finding a sofa that was long enough for napping, but low enough that I could lay in bed, and still see the tv.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (45)

I love the bed! Where is it from?

posted by britwash on April 25, 2011 at 9:10am
view britwash's profile

and the sofa?

posted by tmilan on April 25, 2011 at 10:28am
view tmilan's profile

I am wanting to make a calendar like that! Very nice modern space.

posted by rachaelk on April 25, 2011 at 10:32am
view rachaelk's profile

Love your space, such clean lines and modern.

posted by mg0224 on April 25, 2011 at 10:54am
view mg0224's profile

really nice layout!

posted by ellerden15 on April 25, 2011 at 1:40pm
view ellerden15's profile

hmm looks like a store

posted by rlmesq on April 25, 2011 at 12:32pm
view rlmesq's profile

Very tidy, and colour-conscious, not really lived-in, maybe some art?

posted by Allegra M on April 25, 2011 at 12:49pm
view Allegra M's profile

I love your dog! At first I thought he was a statue until I saw him in the other pics. What a good doggie! Love the place too. ;)

posted by Tracy333 on April 25, 2011 at 12:53pm
view Tracy333's profile

i think the "imagine" and "believe" on the wall make the wall look like part of a billboard....really weird imo

posted by thekatpack on April 25, 2011 at 12:59pm
view thekatpack's profile

rachealk, i also liked the calendar which is why i initially clicked this entry. then i just saw the same calendar in a house tour and realized it wasn't diy. in any case, i still like the calendar and i still favorited your space. good luck!

posted by solarsister310 on April 25, 2011 at 1:21pm
view solarsister310's profile

I am impressed with your organization skills, but admittedly cannot hang with the inspirational word art.

posted by dirce79 on April 25, 2011 at 1:42pm
view dirce79's profile

Thanks for the comments everyone. The bed is crate and barrel, and the sofa is from: http://www.isquaredhome.com/. I did purchase the calendar (I'm not very crafty), I get one every year from:http://www.unicahome.com/ and agreed the wall decals are a little funky, not everyone's cup of tea. But the dog is REAl, and yes, he is very well behaved (mostly). Thanks, ~nita

posted by Nita Apple on April 25, 2011 at 2:09pm
view Nita Apple's profile

Nicely done, and well orgainzed

posted by jfeldmann on April 25, 2011 at 2:15pm
view jfeldmann's profile

That's the Stendig calendar! I also get one every year, I love it.

posted by AUNTJACKIE on April 25, 2011 at 2:18pm
view AUNTJACKIE's profile

Your dog is very good at striking poses. :)

I like that you're not afraid to put things at an angle in a small space. I'm thinking about doing that in my small unit, and it's a little scary! But it looks good here.

posted by emmelemm on April 25, 2011 at 2:51pm
view emmelemm's profile

Ha ha, I really thought the dog was a statue in the second shot until I got to the kitchen and there he was again.

Putting your living area at an angle was a smart use of space. I also like your mix of color.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 25, 2011 at 3:30pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

Nita, I admire your gracious replies to our criticisms. :)

posted by annemc on April 25, 2011 at 4:00pm
view annemc's profile

Lovely dog.

posted by Ofelia on April 25, 2011 at 4:31pm
view Ofelia's profile

where did you get the wall decals from?

posted by hypatia on April 25, 2011 at 4:56pm
view hypatia's profile

Wow you´re highly organized with your stuff.

I like everything except the decorations on your walls. I just find it very romantic.

posted by suzie__lee on April 25, 2011 at 5:04pm
view suzie__lee's profile

It looks kind of like a CB2 ad! (that's not a bad thing -- I like a lot of CB2's stuff.

Love the layout and the dog :)

posted by themoderngal on April 25, 2011 at 5:47pm
view themoderngal's profile

Nita, nice job! I'm envious that you've found room for both a bed AND a sofa! For those asking about where the sofa came from (Nita purchased it at <isquaredhome.com>, it is probably made by Innovation Furniture? See if this is it: http://www.innovation-usa.com/istyle/inspiration/wing-in-white-leather-textile

posted by SF299SF on April 25, 2011 at 5:49pm
view SF299SF's profile

So jealous of your appliances - where in LA is this? Not sure I could share such a small space with my big dog. Is that a closet behind the curtain?

posted by msfavaloro on April 25, 2011 at 5:49pm
view msfavaloro's profile

I adore the whole apartment. And I'm loving the wall words and the poppies - so cool. Kind of random, but can you tell me what kind of refrigerator you have? I have a teeny-tiny kitchen and it's so hard to find fridges that fit!

posted by annabee711 on April 25, 2011 at 7:05pm
view annabee711's profile

I like the off-center round mirror. It reminds me of a porthole. Putting the living room at an angle is great. The room doesn't feel boxy.

I'm impressed with your organization! I need to get going now!

posted by mollyfields on April 25, 2011 at 8:01pm
view mollyfields's profile

love it!

posted by CherelleNJ on April 25, 2011 at 8:45pm
view CherelleNJ's profile

Love the place....Omg even your dog matches your color palette.

posted by Bouncewden on April 25, 2011 at 9:37pm
view Bouncewden's profile

Hope that dog gets plenty of exercise or else he will go bat shit crazy in that tiny space

posted by jettsam on April 26, 2011 at 7:06am
view jettsam's profile

Love the use of color!

posted by Norikoses on April 25, 2011 at 10:54pm
view Norikoses's profile

The apartment and the puppy dog are both adorable!! Love it! The wall art is way cool!

posted by laurahayden on April 26, 2011 at 12:33am
view laurahayden's profile

The colors are fabulous and I love your sofa.

posted by good time teeth on April 25, 2011 at 11:39pm
view good time teeth's profile

Nicely done! Very well laid out, organized, and very soothing color palette. I'd love to see a picture facing the windows (of the dining table, or towards the tv), perhaps instead of the second picture of the desk. Looks great :D

posted by aj510 on April 26, 2011 at 2:18am
view aj510's profile

I love the organization of your place but I didn't see a closet space. Is there a closet?

posted by marabou on April 26, 2011 at 1:21pm
view marabou's profile

Here are a few more of my sources for those of you that asked. Thanks for all your kinds words, and feedback. I really appreciate it.

The sofa is from innovation, thanks SF299SF for the link. The wall decals, for those that asked are from two places: the words are from http://www.greatlettering.com and the poppies are from http://www.designwithaz.com. The fridge is a GE bottom freezer model GDS18LBP, it came with the apt & the freezer part isn't a great use of space. The closet is behind the curtains. The loft itself is downtown LA. As for the dog. Yes, he gets TONS of exercise he goes with me everywhere, and is rarely cooped up inside the tiny space. But if you wanted a lab and not the work there is a nice lab wall decal at:http://www.masterdesigndecals.com/ecom-prodshow/lab2.html :-) Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Oh and aj510, I tried to get some window facing pictures, but was struggling with the lighting. Thanks again you guys for the feedback.

posted by Nita Apple on April 26, 2011 at 1:54pm
view Nita Apple's profile

I like how low-key your bed is, right next to a bright-print curtain. It does a nice job with an age-old small space efficiency, of distracting from having the bed in the living room. Well done!

posted by YakkoDot on April 26, 2011 at 3:51pm
view YakkoDot's profile

Nice place :) How comfortable is your sofa? We're looking for a sofa-bed and this is in our list, but we're not sure if it's comfortable enough for sleeping.

posted by maglyb on April 26, 2011 at 8:02pm
view maglyb's profile

genius use of space and dark colours! well done!

posted by Erin in Ottawa on April 26, 2011 at 8:53pm
view Erin in Ottawa's profile

i really like this place but that giant calendar is stressing me out!

posted by conejitoasesino on April 27, 2011 at 5:27am
view conejitoasesino's profile

love your style. but sorry to say it just seems mean to have a dog that big in such a small space.

posted by queenyellowsun on April 28, 2011 at 5:57am
view queenyellowsun's profile

I think the poppy decals are very tasteful, actually. This whole space is artistic, I'm not sure why another commenter thinks you need "art on the wall." Use of the wall-words is unique & creative.

Gosh, i thought the couch WAS the bed at first. If the back does fold down, that would make an incredible day bed.

I, too, appreciate seeing how well the angled furniture works. A+ overall!

posted by Annie-O on April 28, 2011 at 11:12am
view Annie-O's profile

I love the apartment! You were always so good at decorating! Of course Matt is the perfect accent! : )

posted by HeidiKMc on April 28, 2011 at 6:36pm
view HeidiKMc's profile

How great to see your place, Nita -- I love being able to picture where you and Matt hang out. It looks fantastic!

Love you!

posted by Cousin Marilyn on May 1, 2011 at 3:32pm
view Cousin Marilyn's profile

Am feeling so refreshed after three tours of your wonderfully consistent, cheeerful, colorful (without being crushingly so), and finely tuned home!

posted by justjude on May 2, 2011 at 1:25am
view justjude's profile

I really like it.

posted by Fatcatpaulanne on May 2, 2011 at 11:07am
view Fatcatpaulanne's profile

Tiny, but nicely done. The dog is bigger than the flat!

posted by associatedbears on August 25, 2011 at 5:55pm
view associatedbears's profile