Jeffery's Custom Calm

Name:

Jeffery

New York, New York

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

Due to its especially small size, it has great visual impact. The Benjamin Moore, custom green, makes the room very soothing and calm, while at the same time is energetic for working or entertaining. Mixed with the oranges and reds of the Turkish and Indian pillows, pashmina's and hand-died silk window decoration, its a room that says come-in and hang out. Strategically placed mirrors and art make the room seem to multiply giving it a much wider look than the 9.5" that it is. There is also seating for 7 people. Drapery separates the 'entry/changing area/bar' from the 'live/sleep/work/eat'. When open, they frame the space visually, and offer some acoustics. It's a few of my favorite things is what makes the room special for me.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

SPACE. I have never lived in a space this teeny, teeny tiny. Editing. If i don't use it, then why is it here? How to make it seem bigger and more spacious than it is, while being uber-functional.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (55)

Too dark, too antique. Why isn't the bathroom included in the plan?

posted by Steve_from_DesignBlog on April 27, 2011 at 4:41pm
view Steve_from_DesignBlog's profile

It's small, no doubt about that. But it's got character. Too bad the photos are a bit blurry.

posted by hotpaprika on April 27, 2011 at 9:09am
view hotpaprika's profile

I love the character of the space. Its kind of global chic, I just wish the lighting were better so I could see it better. The bathroom looks awesome by the way.

posted by TKPKgirl on April 27, 2011 at 9:24am
view TKPKgirl's profile

no kitchen? not a criticism or anything, just wondering.

Looks like a great place to hang out, and not too bedroomy

posted by ec05 on April 27, 2011 at 9:45am
view ec05's profile

Wow, you are amazing. Nice job.

posted by lampeam on April 27, 2011 at 10:15am
view lampeam's profile

Would you do my apt.???

posted by julianmark on April 27, 2011 at 11:23am
view julianmark's profile

At first I questioned the graininess of the photos, but it really suits the feel of the place.

posted by mjs7640 on April 27, 2011 at 11:35am
view mjs7640's profile

Well done Jeffery!

posted by teresadelizo on April 27, 2011 at 11:57am
view teresadelizo's profile

it certinaly has character. I don't think the lighting does your photos any justice. You obviously have some cool furntiures and collectable items. Good luck!!

posted by pier723 on April 27, 2011 at 12:04pm
view pier723's profile

Jeffery,

I am impressed. Beatiful job. You have come a long way, baby! Keep up the good work. I just love it.
Kenny in NO.

posted by Kenito on April 27, 2011 at 12:21pm
view Kenito's profile

It may be teeny-tiny, but it is SWANK!

posted by csc76 on April 27, 2011 at 1:02pm
view csc76's profile

looks like he has a refrig just inside the bathroom, hotel style

posted by amcdaniel9 on April 27, 2011 at 1:08pm
view amcdaniel9's profile

Jeffery, you did a fantastic job. when i move into a smaller place, you must come and help me. Charlotte

posted by crushatm on April 27, 2011 at 1:14pm
view crushatm's profile

Gorgeous secret hideaway style!

posted by Cayennegirl on April 27, 2011 at 1:20pm
view Cayennegirl's profile

I squealed audibly when I saw this. BEAUTIFUL!

posted by sibeso on April 27, 2011 at 1:24pm
view sibeso's profile

do you have an actual kitchen (stove and oven and sink) or is it just a little fridge?

posted by lorrinm on April 27, 2011 at 2:24pm
view lorrinm's profile

I adore the shade of green and the mood you have created - you must love coming home to this place, even if it is small.

posted by vandemonian on April 27, 2011 at 2:36pm
view vandemonian's profile

LOVE it - like a private, exotic sanctuary - very cozy, very mysterious and full of fabrics and textures that make you want to touch them (love those pillows). Lots of interest without being too cluttered. Beautiful use of color, variation in scale and pattern. AND, all this in 178 square feet? Brilliant.

posted by citipearl on April 27, 2011 at 5:10pm
view citipearl's profile

is there a kitchen? no kitchen = not a real apartment and i can't/won't vote for it.

posted by Coletta (rhymes with velveeta) on April 27, 2011 at 7:25pm
view Coletta (rhymes with velveeta)'s profile

it's not posh, it's pasha! sorry, i couldn't help myself. your place is lovely!

posted by conejitoasesino on April 27, 2011 at 8:06pm
view conejitoasesino's profile

Stunning. I could live here, and I don't even like green. Thumbs up.

posted by sypage on April 27, 2011 at 8:33pm
view sypage's profile

Love this space. It feels so welcoming. Where did you get this rug?? I've been looking for something similar but this one is perfect!

posted by lreiser on April 27, 2011 at 9:04pm
view lreiser's profile

Very nicely done. Swanky and sexy.

posted by djfernandez on April 27, 2011 at 9:16pm
view djfernandez's profile

Woah--calm? These pictures stress me out, I think due to the cast shadows, graininess, and generally 'busy' patterns. I can't quite put my finger on it. Wish I could've seen the bathroom, though. It looks nice.

posted by ohkatie on April 27, 2011 at 9:21pm
view ohkatie's profile

Brilliant, work! TreChic

posted by Monet Kittrell on April 27, 2011 at 11:51pm
view Monet Kittrell's profile

nice character - window could use a curtain tie back. i got glass ones at look in the attic. so chic. nice job.

posted by Margaret C on April 27, 2011 at 11:53pm
view Margaret C's profile

I really like the window treatment, especially with the beaded valance. So unique and appropriate for your decor.

posted by Creative Blossoming on April 28, 2011 at 1:53am
view Creative Blossoming's profile

Wow it looks like the time has stopped in your pictures... the apartment looks floating in a timeless atmosphere. Very impressive!

posted by ales.ag on April 28, 2011 at 2:31am
view ales.ag's profile

wow. really great space - especially considering how tiny it is. i love all of the fabrics and patterns (tablecloth, rug, pillows..etc) and with that in mind the only space the feels sort of out of place is the bathroom. it's lacking the 'global' character of the rest of the space - a different shower curtain might be all it needs (just a tiny suggestion!)

nicely done.

posted by kiwi on April 28, 2011 at 4:26am
view kiwi's profile

just looked more closely at the floorplan....seems like it might be a communal bath if it's outside of your apartment? if that's the case ignore my previous statement about it matching the feel of the rest of your space :)

posted by kiwi on April 28, 2011 at 4:29am
view kiwi's profile

I love: the green color, the art, the textiles, the combination of patterns, the use of curtains and mirrors, the beaded valance, the recessed TV, the sofa/bed , the lamps --- and how it all comes together --- the atmosphere. Also like the space itself: the asymmetry and angles. What is the pattern on the pleated wall by the window--- light reflection?

posted by Lilly3 on April 28, 2011 at 5:09am
view Lilly3's profile

If I came to visit, I would not want to leave.
I love the feel of your place.

posted by CanadianMango on April 28, 2011 at 8:23am
view CanadianMango's profile

The bathroom is in his apartment. You can see some of the same items in image 3 as in image 5.

posted by foogiefive on April 28, 2011 at 8:51am
view foogiefive's profile

If not for the computer, I would believe this a magazine photo from 1968. The photo has that strange faded look and he elements are not of this trendy moment. I love it.

posted by Kate (NC) on April 28, 2011 at 9:16am
view Kate (NC)'s profile

I think it is great, but it is a dorm room and isn't there a contest for that?

posted by brooklynjennie on April 28, 2011 at 9:20am
view brooklynjennie's profile

The look feels like a cocoon. Dreamy.

posted by callaloo on April 28, 2011 at 9:42am
view callaloo's profile

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! This is like a chic gypsy caravan. And bonus points for decorating with a disco ball. I have one hanging over my bed. ;)

posted by julietmc on April 28, 2011 at 10:22am
view julietmc's profile

Coletta/pron. Velveeta: There is a kitchen; it's just tiny/minimal - not unusual in NYC where people often dine out or order in.

posted by citipearl on April 28, 2011 at 11:40am
view citipearl's profile

i hate to get involved in the whole is-this-an-apartment-or-not debate, but this has to be a dorm room, right?

posted by bruns on April 28, 2011 at 12:03pm
view bruns's profile

WOW. My first vote of this year's contest.

posted by EC_ on April 28, 2011 at 12:09pm
view EC_'s profile

Wow - cosy and sweet. Gets my vote!

posted by StefanieF on April 28, 2011 at 12:11pm
view StefanieF's profile

Thanks for all the votes and positive feedback. I am happy so many people like it. It is a modern space, just sophisticated and not typical (isn't that what good design is about?)
There is a private bath, there are Turkish pestemals (hamam towels) used as the shower curtain, and a tiny 'kitchen' space, micro is in the armoire. In NYC there are lots of places to eat and delivery is free. Many people do not cook, like me.

posted by jeffery on April 28, 2011 at 12:25pm
view jeffery's profile

This could be my overall favorite. Well done!

I had a motorhome bigger than this. Seriously.

posted by Village on April 28, 2011 at 12:29pm
view Village's profile

This is fantastic. Looks beautiful (great bathroom!) and lush, not cramped and miserable. Proof positive that when you don't have much to buy, you can buy better. I love this!

posted by RMF325 on April 28, 2011 at 12:57pm
view RMF325's profile

if I learned about NY only from AT, I'd guess that no one ever cooked at home. EVER.

posted by jenawithonen on April 28, 2011 at 1:09pm
view jenawithonen's profile

Love it, it reminds me of a little sexy oda.

posted by leadingedge on April 28, 2011 at 6:51pm
view leadingedge's profile

very sophisticated

posted by kasiabasia on April 28, 2011 at 7:31pm
view kasiabasia's profile

I promised myself I would only vote for one Teeny Tiny Entry – and yours is it.

You have a wonderful home – thank you for sharing it.

posted by SmallApartmentDream on April 28, 2011 at 8:03pm
view SmallApartmentDream's profile

When I look at it, I want to be there!!!

posted by hayko fine rugs and tapestries on April 28, 2011 at 11:38pm
view hayko fine rugs and tapestries's profile

I love the green paint, it is a very subtle color which works wonderfully with the warm colors in the soft furnishings. Is this paint custom blended? I like your decision to deal with a small space without going minimal. It works very well.

posted by jennifer in exile on April 30, 2011 at 10:07am
view jennifer in exile's profile

So, so beautiful and warm. I want it.

posted by JasmineIsDomestic on May 1, 2011 at 11:26pm
view JasmineIsDomestic's profile

love your choice of color palette!

posted by SMM1 on May 2, 2011 at 12:13pm
view SMM1's profile

OOOhh I love love love your place!! It's like living in a exotic nest!! Looks much bigger than the square footage you have listed. GREAT job!

posted by royallprincess on May 6, 2011 at 2:43pm
view royallprincess's profile

This is fabulous! Very NY-Woody Allen-luv it! What is the bed/couch? Is that a regular bed or a daybed? I like the color of the wood and all the pillows. Great job!

posted by BoHoChic3 on August 8, 2011 at 12:06pm
view BoHoChic3's profile

I love it, love it, and love it some more. Your colors remind me of how I imagine heaven looks like! I want to keep looking because I see something different every time I look! My word for your home is WINNER!

posted by GinaLazenby on September 19, 2011 at 9:31pm
view GinaLazenby's profile