Maureen's Modern Millwork

Name:

Maureen

Denver, Colorado

Division:

Little

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

A floor-to-ceiling shelving unit of high-gloss millwork runs the length of the living room creating a strong focal point and plenty of display space. A floor-to-ceiling shelving unit of white highgloss millwork runs the entire length of the living room creating a strong focal point and plenty of display space. In the bedroom a wall-hung dresser allows for more floor space and doubles as a TV stand while a cantilevered walnut night stand complements the Mies van der Rohe inspired bed.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

A wood burning stove in the corner of the unit was a bit of a challenge to work around as it dominated some of the valuable square footage in the living room.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (30)

What arcgrrl said.

posted by KayinKCMO on April 25, 2011 at 9:41pm
view KayinKCMO's profile

This is beautiful. But what was that about the floor-to-ceiling unit of high-gloss millwork again? ;)

posted by csc76 on April 25, 2011 at 12:24pm
view csc76's profile

Funny csc76! I agree. Lovely place! Very clean and minimal. Love the table...did you design it to fit into the niche or did your apartment come like that?

posted by Tracy333 on April 25, 2011 at 12:51pm
view Tracy333's profile

Is this an advert ?

posted by Allegra M on April 25, 2011 at 12:51pm
view Allegra M's profile

Do you like only having a shower? I am considering this for our similarly sized bathroom...

posted by mlme on April 25, 2011 at 2:28pm
view mlme's profile

Even though this is modern and minimal, it's not to harsh and cold. I like more color and character, but it's still a beautiful home.

posted by sweethomesweet on April 25, 2011 at 3:13pm
view sweethomesweet's profile

great use of space.

posted by TSPD on April 25, 2011 at 3:25pm
view TSPD's profile

Beautiful! I love the kitchen and the built in table.

Mlme, I opted for just a shower in my new space in a narrow bathroom and haven't regretted it. Less to keep clean and I rarely ever used an actual bathtub in all my other homes.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 25, 2011 at 4:21pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

Sorry, it looks like a Techline showroom.

posted by mjs7640 on April 25, 2011 at 4:20pm
view mjs7640's profile

I think it's beautiful, although I'd nix the brown boxes on the wall unit and add things with more color.

posted by Kathryn1123 on April 25, 2011 at 4:30pm
view Kathryn1123's profile

very nice.

posted by SeanG on April 25, 2011 at 4:31pm
view SeanG's profile

The bedroom is accessible only by going through the bathroom?

posted by arcgrrl on April 25, 2011 at 5:05pm
view arcgrrl's profile

Nice, but needs more personality.

posted by suzy8track on April 25, 2011 at 5:10pm
view suzy8track's profile

Pretty, Nice use of space. I like the Table, its very clever use of space.

posted by gjmccourt on April 25, 2011 at 7:10pm
view gjmccourt's profile

I love the kitchen but the shelves look stark. At first glance I thought this was an office space not a home. I would keep the boxes grouped on the bottom shelves and put books and nic nacs on the middle to higher shelves.

posted by A Labour of Love on April 25, 2011 at 7:20pm
view A Labour of Love's profile

The view really stands out too. It's better than art on the walls, and it changes! I love having green outside my windows.

posted by mollyfields on April 25, 2011 at 7:41pm
view mollyfields's profile

Wow! I like the rustic + modern simplicity of this, and I love the wrap-around kitchen island/dining table combo.

I do have the same question, though: You go *through* the bathroom to get to the bedroom? Seems odd.

Also, I agree with those who say "eek, too many brown wicker basket/boxes on the shelves" - actually, what I'd do is crowd more of the boxes onto the bottom two rows of shelves (looks like you've left plenty of empty space there), which would put more weight at the bottom, and then fill more of the upper shelves with some colorful books and art pieces.

posted by emmelemm on April 25, 2011 at 7:29pm
view emmelemm's profile

Ooh, and also:what is the flooring? Is it hardwood, painted concrete, Marmoleum? Obviously it's hardwood "color", but it has subtle qualities about it that make it hard to tell.

posted by emmelemm on April 25, 2011 at 7:31pm
view emmelemm's profile

I love the wood tones you used. They really stand out against the white. I like the dining table as well, especially how it fits into the space.

posted by mollyfields on April 25, 2011 at 7:39pm
view mollyfields's profile

Your space is fabulous. Clean and minimalist without being cold; great use of materials and space; the whites combined with some wood tones and bright colors gives warmth and personality without overpowering the small space. Overall, a very well designed, neat, clean, comfy, organized, beautiful home!

posted by cablegirl on April 25, 2011 at 7:55pm
view cablegirl's profile

Fantastic space, fantastic wood tones throughout, and I died a little over that bed... but I'd want to see those awesome shelves filled with books, not boxes.

posted by fleo on April 25, 2011 at 8:21pm
view fleo's profile

Nice! Very minimal. Love your kitchen.

posted by Terry Clark on April 25, 2011 at 8:55pm
view Terry Clark's profile

I love a clean modern space with built-ins. It looks really good - clean and elegant. I might like some more color, personally, and I do think plants/flowers would be a great addition.

posted by modernist1 on April 26, 2011 at 2:20am
view modernist1's profile

It looks so clean and tidy! Could use a hint of color though, and a little more character maybe? Say some books, pictures, quilts etc? It does look very 'showroom' ish.

posted by foxymardy on April 26, 2011 at 4:20am
view foxymardy's profile

I kinda like the bathroom entrance to the bedroom. Never seen that before, but why not. It makes the bedroom seam extra private.

posted by qlorne on April 26, 2011 at 9:11am
view qlorne's profile

Damn your house is cool!

posted by conejitoasesino on April 27, 2011 at 5:22am
view conejitoasesino's profile

Fantastic!!!

posted by ddelcura on April 27, 2011 at 3:14pm
view ddelcura's profile

I Really like this the overall intention is just feels a little sterile. like to see more "personal taste" touches for warmth. It's still cool

posted by RnD Design on April 29, 2011 at 9:45pm
view RnD Design's profile

Maureen, you've sold me. Now, where did you get your shower doors? Any tips you can share?

posted by mlme on May 4, 2011 at 6:03pm
view mlme's profile

The perfect clean space! I love it!!

posted by jenniferojenny on December 3, 2011 at 12:48am
view jenniferojenny's profile