Sharina's Vie en Rose

Name:

Sharina

New York, New York

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

"Sharina's vie en rose" The incredible light, the views and the five casement windows, sunset turns my place into a kaleidoscope of lush moving color that is absolutely magical to experience. I live in historical Tudor City, NY and my building was originally a hotel. I love the details and the fact that there's history here and it's not just another cookie cutter box of an apartment. No matter what kind of day I've had, when I walk into my feathered nest I feel mellow and relaxed. I wanted to prove that even in Manhattan one can have a little oasis of luxury by being creative and resourceful. Intermixed with things I have picked up in my travels, come items from flea markets, Home Goods, garage sales, EBay, consignment shops you name it! Just let yourself be inspired. My place is elegant, eccentric, quirky and 100% me.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

I’ve been collecting stuff since I was a teenager. So I had to put the brakes on my hobby when I moved into this place! I decided to break the small apartment = scale down your furniture rule. I have several big pieces of furniture that actually make the apartment appear larger. It helps to have so many windows and I added to this reflective effect by buying a clear glass dining table and several pieces of mirrored furniture. I love to entertain and having a mirrored murphy bed allowed me to create the illusion that my studio is actually the office/living/dining area of my apartment and that the bedroom is somewhere behind a door. I used bold color in a unifying way to give the apartment a flow through feeling and create the illusion of more space. My main objective when furnishing the apartment was to have a place where I could entertain. Using French doors to divide the apartment instead of cutting it off with a dividing wall was key to keeping it light and airy.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (53)

I love Modigliani! It's also nice to see someone doing something other than Midcentury modern and/or tons of grey.

posted by apappa on April 27, 2011 at 8:19am
view apappa's profile

BOLD!

posted by msmezzo on April 27, 2011 at 9:07am
view msmezzo's profile

Absolutely gorgeous.

posted by abaxSC on April 27, 2011 at 9:07am
view abaxSC's profile

Modernist here, but this space is stunning!

posted by moddog on April 27, 2011 at 9:44am
view moddog's profile

love the red

posted by raylene on April 27, 2011 at 10:32am
view raylene's profile

Love your sofa.

posted by robertspeg on April 27, 2011 at 11:49am
view robertspeg's profile

don't typically like that much red but you make it work beautifully. the space doesn't present as 530 sq feet which is amazing!

posted by artist girl on April 27, 2011 at 11:51am
view artist girl's profile

Love it! At first I was a little taken by all the red, but you made it work wonderfully.

posted by teresadelizo on April 27, 2011 at 12:05pm
view teresadelizo's profile

Sexay!

posted by edmarch on April 27, 2011 at 12:28pm
view edmarch's profile

LOVE LOVE LOVE.

posted by Juliet___ on April 27, 2011 at 12:29pm
view Juliet___'s profile

Love it! I'm just about to move into an apartment the same size and I'm totally inspired!

posted by Faffer on April 27, 2011 at 12:50pm
view Faffer's profile

All that red is definitely working-- great place! Great title, too! *singing to self*

posted by csc76 on April 27, 2011 at 12:52pm
view csc76's profile

Gorgeous!

posted by divanatrix on April 27, 2011 at 1:01pm
view divanatrix's profile

pretty and sumptuous!

posted by jen_g on April 27, 2011 at 1:11pm
view jen_g's profile

It is so nice to see an elegant and comfortable traditional interior. Red is one of my favorite colors. I could see myself having a dinner party or just curling up with a good book and tea on the sofa. Great job!

posted by Granville on April 27, 2011 at 1:19pm
view Granville's profile

There are things I "don't so much like" here (main example, the overdose-to-me of small objects in certain places) but the things I do like far outnumber them: the red, the sliding French doors (brilliant idea), the windows obviously, your bed solution, the ghost chair at the desk, the perfect portrait cushions... Tell me that the red curtain can be closed at night to cocoon the bedroom and I will be over the moon.

posted by helanother on April 27, 2011 at 1:20pm
view helanother's profile

As soon as I saw the first picture, I said to myself, "Tudor City!" You have truly performed magic and turned this space into a storybook home. I am awed by your talent and your home's beauty . . .

posted by Home Decorator on April 27, 2011 at 2:02pm
view Home Decorator's profile

Sumptuous yet bright and airy.
Quite delicious.

posted by visualeyes on April 27, 2011 at 2:23pm
view visualeyes's profile

Your space is so inviting, elegant and rich. You have wonderful taste and an eye for beauty. Truly an inspiring example of what you can do in a small space. Stunning absolutely stunning! I hope you win! :)

posted by SRomero on April 27, 2011 at 2:24pm
view SRomero's profile

Thanks for all the compliments. I must agree with the comment about tchotchkes. It's hard for me to not display the things I find and fall in love with but everytime I start to pare down, I wind up putting everything back! And yes the curtains do close on the "bedroom" side of the apartment :)

posted by Sharina on April 27, 2011 at 3:27pm
view Sharina's profile

Love your jewel box in NYC!

posted by Brenda V. on April 27, 2011 at 3:34pm
view Brenda V.'s profile

You have really done well in maximizing your space. I think the Persian meets Asian vibe is very refreshing, especially considering the amount of entries that are so fixated on the modern asthetic. The generous amount of wood from your pieces adds lots of warmth and comfort to your home. The acrylic chair at the desk adds a modern touch while keeping the Asian lines.

I would only change a couple of things. I think red hues are wonderful and underused, but too much can be intimidating, so they need to be toned down a little here. That could be accomplished by changing the dining room chair covers to something like black or gold. It would also serve to separate the dining space more from the living area. The other change would be to find a more fitting setup for your TV and equipment. Some sort of shelf or preferably a cabinet that could hide components so that they don't distract from all of the great pieces in your home.

Really, this is one of the better entries. It has a very comfortable, lived in feel, but still presents with some sophistication. Great job!

posted by aexley on April 27, 2011 at 3:57pm
view aexley's profile

Girl, you do have big furniture...woo! But, it is nice. And looking at the pictures, it does look the way you described it Nicely done!

posted by wendym1 on April 27, 2011 at 4:34pm
view wendym1's profile

Hi Aexley,
I HATE the way my televison is mounted. If you have an ideas, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks!

posted by Sharina on April 27, 2011 at 4:58pm
view Sharina's profile

After years of “design safe” neutral and minimalist decor, it’s thrilling to see a space
that is bursting personality the way this does! Thanks for posting!

posted by Shine on on April 27, 2011 at 5:25pm
view Shine on's profile

TV: 1. Is there any way to hide it in the armoire? 2. How about moving the side table next to the sofa across the room and setting the TV on top of it? You could "hide" the components on the bottom shelves (in a box or basket that you can keep closed when you're not watching TV) or even go crazy and hang the TV on the wall in a gold (?) art frame with or without art covering the screen when it's not in use. I have my TV at the end of my sofa on a shelving unit with curtains that close if I don't want to look at a blank screen when the TV is off rather than having it across the room in the center of everything (as it is usually placed). Works fine for me!

I had to look twice when your description was of a studio in Tudor City -- it looks huge! Your furniture is gorgeous and massive, which doesn't say "tiny apartment" at all -- nor does your bold use of RED. Very elegant and stately. I'd have to dress better if I lived there!

posted by citipearl on April 27, 2011 at 5:42pm
view citipearl's profile

first word OOHHH ,gorgeous!

posted by kimscollectables on April 27, 2011 at 5:50pm
view kimscollectables's profile

Oh no no no no no!

posted by CraigslistDecorator on April 27, 2011 at 7:05pm
view CraigslistDecorator's profile

Gorgeous. Totally not my style or color scheme and yet I am totally enamored with your apartment.

posted by kelmit on April 27, 2011 at 7:24pm
view kelmit's profile

Sharina, do you mind sharing where you got those Chinese-looking pillows? They're amazing!

posted by misspfoho on April 27, 2011 at 7:33pm
view misspfoho's profile

it's totally not my taste but it's still gorgeous! That huge armoire is drool worthy. The art is incredilbly lovely. And your commitment to that lively rose color is a bit heady but romantic and charming. Your place is lovely!

posted by conejitoasesino on April 27, 2011 at 7:54pm
view conejitoasesino's profile

Like others have said, not my personal taste at all, but VERY well done. I'm voting for it.

posted by sypage on April 27, 2011 at 8:03pm
view sypage's profile

Personally, I think all the "not my personal style, but still beautiful and well-done" comments are the highest form of compliment! :) It's easy to fall in love with a space that looks "just like [I] would have done it". Anyway, I'll add to the it's not my style but I really like it anyway pile.

Re: Your TV - it looks like you already have a hole in the wall/place for the wires to disappear into, which is great. I'd suggest something like this thing from DWR, except that it's outrageously expensive, so maybe a DIY or even hire someone to do one that's absolutely customized to your space:

DWR Media Panel (click on "more views/enlarge" to see what it really looks like)

That way you'd disguise the shelf brackets, and you could paint or stain it nicely. Either match your wall color to camouflage it as much as possible, or maybe a soft rose color to complement all the reds but not be "in your face", or, a really bold red to be in your face! Or a wood stain to make it seem like it's a piece of furniture. Any way you did it, it would make the whole thing seem much more finished.

posted by emmelemm on April 27, 2011 at 8:42pm
view emmelemm's profile

Pillows were bought in World Market about 2 years ago :)

posted by Sharina on April 27, 2011 at 8:43pm
view Sharina's profile

Love the minimalist entries like Stellah's disappearing bed, but this house made me sit up and want to put on my best heels! Sexy fine.

posted by Wildsong on April 27, 2011 at 11:12pm
view Wildsong's profile

Opulent! Very nice.

posted by martigny on April 28, 2011 at 12:35am
view martigny's profile

The more I look at your flat, the more I like it!

posted by martigny on April 28, 2011 at 12:42am
view martigny's profile

yes, elegant, eccentric and quirky. and too red.

posted by queenyellowsun on April 28, 2011 at 4:01am
view queenyellowsun's profile

This is so elegant and lovely - gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! there are now a handful of entries with Murphy beds and as I have never seen one I was curious: How comfortable is a Murphy bed? Does it have a box spring/mattress or is it more like a sofa bed? When you tuck it away do you have to take off the bedding? Where do you put the pillows etc.? Do you "make" the bed (ie put it away) every day or just when people are coming over and you need more space? Hope these aren't too personal of questions, but I am intrigued by the whole Murphy bed concept.

posted by bettsmunich on April 28, 2011 at 4:04am
view bettsmunich's profile

Would love to see pictures of the kitchen and bathroom too...

posted by bettsmunich on April 28, 2011 at 5:05am
view bettsmunich's profile

The luscious color seems to flow, helping the space feel larger. I can imagine how wonderful it is at sunset.

posted by Lilly3 on April 28, 2011 at 8:14am
view Lilly3's profile

By far my favorite, elegant, sophistocated, warm and inviting... I want to curl up on this sofa with a glass of wine ...red of course!

posted by missbrummies on April 28, 2011 at 11:07am
view missbrummies's profile

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL... The pictures dont do half of the justice until you really see the apt. fortunately for me, I had the pleasure of seeing it ;). All those different cultures/colors combined together, it’s just so LOVELY, WARM and WELCOMING.
You have FABULOUS taste, LOVE the RED.

You deserve to win !!!

posted by Alisa Balic - Lukovic on April 28, 2011 at 11:15am
view Alisa Balic - Lukovic's profile

Wow, dude... If the art is for real.... it's sooooo way above most of us.....

Love the art and the chinese cushions!

posted by manu_pty on April 28, 2011 at 11:33am
view manu_pty's profile

Wow. Fantastic, cohesive, unique - WOW! Everything feels like it was purchased at the same from the same place. You have a great eye!

posted by LA Margarita on April 28, 2011 at 7:16pm
view LA Margarita's profile

Gorgeous! I have always loved your place Sharina! It's amazing how you have fit so much into a small space so well! You always inspire me! And for those who think this is too much red, I can honestly say, it feels just right when you are inside the apartment. (And this is coming from a woman who does not own anything in red!) My own apartment is predominantly white, which I love, but when I've been to Sharina's house with its luxurious colors and things she's collected from all over the world suddenly I feel like I haven't been really living because I haven't been living in color. It's a shame you are only allowed to submit 5 photos per entry in this contest because there are so many more wonderful things to see in this apartment! This really is a magical place!

P.S. - Funny that nobody said anything about the pale lavender walls!

posted by dontforgettodream on April 28, 2011 at 10:39pm
view dontforgettodream's profile

Gorgeous, Elegant , very nice colors this apartment is a magical place !

posted by Babyfastrunner on April 29, 2011 at 3:54pm
view Babyfastrunner's profile

Your place is stunning, really. But I think you could soften it up a bit replacing your dining chairs--maybe for French bistrot ones. Well, I dont know exactly, it's just the currant chairs kind of make the space a little too haevy. Oh, and I wish you had posted pic of your kitchen. Anyway, you got my vote.

posted by csmoura on April 30, 2011 at 3:22pm
view csmoura's profile

Guys, please forgive my spelling mistakes--Im typing from a netbook which is SOOO small... :(

posted by csmoura on April 30, 2011 at 3:24pm
view csmoura's profile

Fabulous!!! Really outstanding!!

posted by Annemmd on May 1, 2011 at 8:43am
view Annemmd's profile

I fully agree with helanother's comment that the sliding french doors are a brilliant idea. So brilliant in fact, that I'm hoping you can share where you ordered them/who installed them/how much they cost! I think they're the perfect answer to a separation dilemma I'm having in my own NYC space! And I love the tchotchkes - they make it homey! :)

posted by karoo on May 3, 2011 at 12:37am
view karoo's profile

absolutely fabulous !!

posted by pizzapi on June 8, 2011 at 5:50am
view pizzapi's profile

Hands down my absolute favorite...LOVE the use of the red. It's used perfectly..looks so homey

posted by Debbie Chap on June 26, 2011 at 12:49pm
view Debbie Chap's profile