Meret's TIny Tri-level

Name:

Meret

Brooklyn, New York

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I redesigned it myself, down to every inch of space, so it's "just right for just me"--even the cat's litter box has the perfectly hidden spot! Storage nooks accessed from different rooms fit together like a chinese puzzle. It is one big box with three levels that create spaces of different scales and levels of intimacy--from the 14' high, brightly lit living area to the cozy sleeping alcove just tall enough that I can stand up straight.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Making the tiny hallway-kitchen work for somebody who likes to cook was a real challenge, as was getting lots of storage into the space. There had been two tiny closets, one of them in front of a precious window! After having spent 10 years designing NYC apartments for clients, it was such a treat to use all the space-saving strategies on my own place, finally.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (33)

I like Camouflage Kitty. Your place is great. I personally don't like multiple levels (lazy?) but this is so well done. It really feels large and substantial. Also, your design experience really shows in your restraint.

posted by cvgmiami on April 25, 2011 at 9:03am
view cvgmiami's profile

yeah, i love this apartment! You're brilliant with your use of space and beautiful decor. LOVE IT!

posted by brabecova on April 25, 2011 at 9:46am
view brabecova's profile

I'd love to see the bedroom/office views :)

Favourite touch is the kitchen splashback colour extending around the corner, that's really cool.

posted by lei on April 25, 2011 at 9:48am
view lei's profile

Great space! I wished I could see more pictures of it, especially your bedroom and office.

posted by brightred on April 25, 2011 at 10:33am
view brightred's profile

Voting because you included a section! Kudos! Cool space.

posted by colellis on April 25, 2011 at 11:06am
view colellis's profile

This looks so much larger than 600. I've seen so many apartments like this in my house hunting and always wanted to know what a renovated one would look like.

posted by arnold on April 25, 2011 at 12:09pm
view arnold's profile

Agree! It looks way larger than 600ft.

posted by Ana Carolina on April 25, 2011 at 12:20pm
view Ana Carolina's profile

I like pic 2 alot. Great shelving and chair! The rest is pretty delicious as well! Good job

posted by Adam Pogue on April 25, 2011 at 12:24pm
view Adam Pogue's profile

I really like your home. I especially love your hallway kitchen (probably because I'm not much of a cook and love the idea of it being in the hallway). Wish I could have seen pictures of your alcove bed area and office space.

posted by Tracy333 on April 25, 2011 at 12:35pm
view Tracy333's profile

i'd love to see inside your storage space to see how the "chinese puzzle" works. thanks for sharing your home

posted by solarsister310 on April 25, 2011 at 1:30pm
view solarsister310's profile

Great use of space and very inviting. But no pictures of the upper level? You've left me wanting more.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 25, 2011 at 4:23pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

The space is fab. I would like to see the bedroom, the office and the your storage space; closet, freeze and pantry area (I guess).

posted by Ofelia on April 25, 2011 at 4:52pm
view Ofelia's profile

Would have thought this was much bigger than 600 square feet. You did a great job; would really like to see more of the space.

posted by RMF325 on April 25, 2011 at 5:44pm
view RMF325's profile

Great looking apartment Meret. You mentioned in the writeup that the sleeping area is just tall enough for yourself to stand up in... what height are the ceilings in the sleeping and kitchen area below? Also why the lack of full height in the office area as compared to the living/dining area?

posted by Hugh W on April 25, 2011 at 5:51pm
view Hugh W's profile

I too wish for more photos and like the kitchen back splash coming round the corner. I also like the large dining table. Great job!

posted by mollyfields on April 25, 2011 at 7:47pm
view mollyfields's profile

I love this. Cozy, elegant, and really satisfying layout! I really want to see more of this.

posted by lcat on April 25, 2011 at 8:05pm
view lcat's profile

I think you should win.

posted by lcat on April 25, 2011 at 8:12pm
view lcat's profile

I would love to see more photo's

posted by stev1234 on April 25, 2011 at 9:06pm
view stev1234's profile

Good work...feels like I've been there... cozy,and familiar...

posted by pick on April 25, 2011 at 11:09pm
view pick's profile

Clever use of space - very nice!

posted by martigny on April 26, 2011 at 1:10am
view martigny's profile

Very sophisticated, yet so inviting and relaxed. I agree with the kitty cat... a great place to call home.

posted by visualeyes on April 26, 2011 at 3:47am
view visualeyes's profile

Yes, please, more photos. Everything looks so perfect! There is nothing I don't like or would change... Light, storage space, functionality, cosiness, charme, everything is as it should be. It's fluid, classy but at the same time inviting and the colours are perfect.

posted by ales.ag on April 26, 2011 at 3:57am
view ales.ag's profile

really dig the plant spilling over the railing... looks very "outdoors-in"

posted by ohmydarlin on April 26, 2011 at 9:01am
view ohmydarlin's profile

The rustic-looking floor is the standout feature throughout.

posted by m&mz on April 26, 2011 at 1:39pm
view m&mz's profile

This is just perfect!

posted by sarah @onewindowkitchen on April 26, 2011 at 2:41pm
view sarah @onewindowkitchen's profile

Winner.

posted by rexrayfan on April 26, 2011 at 5:09pm
view rexrayfan's profile

I voted for this one based on the clever rolling storage under the bookcases and the orange stripe that stretches out beyond the confines of the kitchen.

posted by Blandwagon on April 27, 2011 at 12:00am
view Blandwagon's profile

this is amazing!!!! love the aerial shot.

posted by my little apartment on April 27, 2011 at 2:40pm
view my little apartment's profile

Nice use of color blocking to bring the kitchen and living rooms together.

I'm curious about the material on the monolithic storage unit. It bothers me in the photos, but my perception might be different in the actual room.

I admire the bold use of massing throughout.

Some of these folks are lucky - windows and natural light make for fantastic spaces.

posted by Jenn Zynn on April 27, 2011 at 6:02pm
view Jenn Zynn's profile

Oh! Love it! I tend to love pretty much everything multi-level. Your floors are gorgeous, and "Camouflage Kitty" is doing a great job blending in.

posted by CanadianMango on May 1, 2011 at 7:36am
view CanadianMango's profile

Fantastic! Multi-level spaces are difficult to reconcile and you've made it seem effortless.

posted by mdl on May 1, 2011 at 10:49am
view mdl's profile

Your place is fantastic! I love the tri-level and would like to see more pics to get a better understanding of it. Would like to see the sleeping loft, too. I love how you took the sheers across the whole wall to hide the air conditioner. Smart. And where is the littler box? I have a cat and would like to find the perfect hiding spot.

posted by Christie333 on May 1, 2011 at 3:00pm
view Christie333's profile

I hate you... this, of course, is my very highest form of praise!

posted by valentino1 on May 2, 2011 at 4:52pm
view valentino1's profile